It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your best sports moment!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
What has been your best sports moment? That you have witness or participated in?

That I have participated:

It was in high school, my school was hosting this invitational tournament were all the best high schools of Puerto Rico were invited, we were ranked like #5 in the island and were playing this team that was unbeaten, I mean this guys have not been beaten by anyone throughout the entire season, plus they beat every other team by double digits, we play them in another school invitational and they beat us by like 30 points. Obviously they were the #1 ranked team. They were sort of like the Patriots now, and everybody hated them.

So we are playing in them in front of a packed house in the finals, and of course they blow us in the first half by like 25 points. All the sudden in the second half we come on fire in defense and offense, they didnt couldnt do anything, we beat them by like 4 or 5 points.

It always goes in my memory as my best personal sports moment.

That I have witness: Rockies 13 inning against SD, in the game that decided who will go to the NLDS. I have never seen a histeria like that ever in my life.

And on TV: M.J torching the Blazers in Game 1 of the 1992 NBA Finals, it was just UNREAL!!

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It isn't the best quality in the world, but it suffices.

1980 world series

I can't figure out how to embed the damn thing.
Wasn't there, wasn't even born then, but is the most important moment in sports for me.
Love ya Tug. You'll forever be missed.

Should have added this one too. It's number two on my list. Very exciting day. Wasn't there, saw it on tv.
Phils clinch NL East

[edit on 24-1-2008 by jtb2008]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
When I was twelve years old I played for a national championship in front of a home town crowd of approximately 30,000 people. I was just a kid in my baseball cleats, shaking like a leaf on the field, hoping the ball wouldn't get hit to me. Then I got a quick shot hit at me early and the nerves were gone, but it was an experience I'll never forget. Next time I'm home on vacation, I'm going to see if I can come across some of the pictures from that day and I'll try to post them.

My home town is a strong follower of Little League baseball, so when we host a national tournament, they come out in masses.

This August will be ten years since that tournament. The loss isn't any easier to take today than it was then.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
the bruckner ball thru the legs. without a doubt one of the greatest moments in this met fan's life.

another met highlight was Endy Chavez' leaping catch to rob the Cards a homerun in game 7 of the LCS. The whole game was incredible. Even tho the mets lost, not a single fan was upset. They got to see one of the best games ever played.

personal moment: I played jv lacrosse for a year. I was on the third line, known as the animal squad because we sucked and one of our guys was a brute who seemed to only care about levelling players. Some time during the third game of the season we were told to go in and I was stuck in the middle. We'd never played in an actual game and we never practiced things like faceoffs and, sure enough, I was the poor bastard tasked with taking the faceoff. I go in, prep myself for the inevitable levelling and as they're about to restart the game a whistle blows. Seems the animal to my left had his mouth guard dangling from his helmet. The coach pulled the line and that was that. I was converted to defense the next day and actually turned out to be decent at it. The season ended and so did my Lacrosse career.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A little piece spoken on a former ball team of mine in Parliament...

The Glace Bay Colonels are some of the best little players on the entire North American continent.

Parliament House Publications

A small town of approximately 20,000 people puts out some of the best baseball talent in the world. Our lack of funding and weather restrict us from taking this talent to the next level. Most big leaguers are coming from British Columbia, but when they're kids.. it's our side of the country that's whooping them on the field.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I once scored 6 goals in an indoor soccer game, and in JV soccer I scored 4 in a game, and all of the goals were scored in about a 5 minute span. I was simply in the zone. : )

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
1996 Green Bay Packers - Super Bowl Champions XXXI
---------------------------------------------------------------

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Black_Fox]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Once scored 6 points (3 goals and 3 assists) and named MVP of our house league hockey championship game. We won. I was 12.
Also won a World TBall Championship in Ancaster back in 1975. I was 8 and played for Waterloo. Got a Certificate of Merit from the mayor for that one, so that was alright. worldtball.ca...

[edit on 16-2-2008 by TheComte]

[edit on 16-2-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oct 12 1968 Mexico Olympics Tommie Smith and John Carlos on the podium.

Even better than Beamon's 29' 8".

Personally... just riding with some friends at the IoM in '89... drinking like sailors with the late Sir Joey Dunlop Knight of The British Empire and Jay Springsteen and Gary Nixon was a real treat. I think that's year the late Steve Hislop (the Flying Haggis) broke the 120MPH lap barrier. Geez, when Springer was sixteen... I saw him do some stuff on a flat tracker at the Indy Mile that rivaled King Kenny on the TZ or Mert Lawill when the XR was introduced. Too bad about Springer's stomach... great racer.

Vic

[edit on 16-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Nice video. One thing I noticed was the sprinters had socks. You don't see many sprinters wearing socks anymore. How old were you when you witnessed this? I always watch Olympics but I was just one year old back then. My earliest memory of Olympics are the 72 Munich Summer Games and 76 Innsbruck for Winter.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Especially "black socks". Wink. Hmmm, not to give my age up... old enough to drive and ride, but young enough not to trust anyone over 30... LOL.

cheers,

Vic

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've had some sweet moments in high school and club soccer.

I had 0 confidence then so anytime I came alive out there I remember those times and the feeling. It's funny what you remember.

One time it was a perfect cross to a teammate I was good friends with. I had plenty of time and space and looking back it's like he strutted into the box as I crossed it - like we'd done this 1000 times, he didn't have to break stride and he headed the ball with good pace into the upper corner. We still talk about it today, because we were thinking exactly the same and executed perfectly.

Then in club soccer there was this guy bigger than everybody. Early in the game he took this shot from way way out for our age, like 35 yards, with his right boot of a foot and scored, it was a perfect shot. He was cocky and the strongest out there by far, trying to dominate the field and I was a right midfielder at the time, scrawny and probably weighed about 120 at the time. Then this happened: I was controlling the ball, keeping possession with nowhere really to go, and I was making his teammate look stupid who was just diving in, trying to take the ball from me as I juked him left and right. The big guy got mad and said "Don't let him do that to you" then he ran up and with that same right foot he came in kicking as hard as he could. I could have gotten out of the way, and maybe he'd have missed and fallen down. But I got stuck in with my own right foot, and had all the time to get the technique and leverage right to anchor the ball (he telegraphed his swing big time and I was ready). When his foot hit in full swing, that ball didn't go anywhere, it stayed at my feet, and he went to the ground hurting really bad. He deserved it because he was just trying to hurt me. He rolled on the ground holding his knee, his coach ran out and the ball was still at my feet - I felt like I had made a point.

This was probably my most meaningful moment - one last chance to play club soccer for one game under an old high school coach who is a legend in my town. It was one year after high school and my soccer days were clearly coming to an end and I had lost my passion, but at that time I was the most experienced player on the team. We were down 2 goals. At some point in the game I started to care again, it clicked with me that I'd never get a chance to play for this coach again, and I wasn't going to let him lose. I was in terrible shape at this point and not focused anymore, but he inspired me to step up and take charge and I scored two goals for him. We didn't win the game, but we tied it 2-2.

I'll also never forget how bad I cried when the ref blew the final whistle at my last high school soccer game, a quarterfinal match we lost 2-1. They were the better team, and the predictions were probably more like 5-1, so we stood up for ourselves a lot there. But nothing had prepared me for the way that felt when it was all over. When you see the guys just fall to the ground after they lose a big game, I never understood that, until that night.

The best moment for a young American soccer fan was probably when the U.S. beat Germany in that World Cup quarter final in 2002 I think. My boss let me come in to work late that day so I could watch it with my friends, when it was over I swelled with pride for my country, I was moved.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
'72 Munich Olympics. For sheer unadulterated gall, the blatant ripoff of the US Olympics Men's Basketball Final, and of course overshadowing even that was the Terror attack on the Israeli Olympic Team. Hard to separate the two.

Franz Klammer in Innsbruck. Men's downhill. Wow!

Seattle Supersonics winning the NBA crown in impressive fashion 4-1 over the Washington Bullets. To this day, I'll match that Sonics team up against any in NBA history.

Oh right...my own moment.

I played rec. league soccer in high school. Since we didn't have anyone to play, we played at a select level (U-19). We were playing a select team from Spokane, Washington called the Thunderbirds, they were, at the time, an elite national power. We got stomped, 7-3. I scored two of 'em, more luck than anything else, but it got me an invite to try out for them the next year. Didn't, but it would have been so cool.

[edit on 17-2-2008 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
1966 World Cup Final. (Wembley, London)
England 4 West Germany 2.

2002 World Cup Qualifier. (Munich 2001)
Germany 1 England 5

That's when we could play the game. now we are represented by a bunch of over-rated, over paid, egotistical no-ones.
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
:shk::shk::shk::shk:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a recent one. 3rd dunk, 5:45 in.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'd have to say my most memorable sports moment was the Raiders-Packers Monday Night game the night after Brett Favre's dad died.

I've only been watching sports for about 8-10 years, so out of what I witnessed, it's got to be that. My other teams didn't do anything memorable that I've witnessed in that time.

My worst would have to be when I gave away my ticket to the NBA Finals.

When I lived in Houston my dad and I (I was about 7 years old at the time) went to this charity thing I guess it was, or kind of like those "NBA Cares" events, and Calvin Murphy was there and I got to play him one on one for tickets (I lost in case you couldn't figure that out), but he had my Dad and I follow him to his house where he gave us two tickets to Game 4 of the 1995 NBA Finals, the game where the Rockets swept the Magic and O'Neal was crying.

But I proceeded to give the ticket to my mom because I was an idiot back then and didn't know how valuable that was.

So yeah. I gave up a ticket to a Championship game of my favorite NBA team.

Probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever done. :shk::shk::shk:

[edit on 3/7/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

That's funny.

When I noticed you responded to this thread, I was certain you were going to say that game. Are you watching it on ESPN right now as well?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
great thread

I loved this....

My favorite personal sports moment was when I dove off a 50' cliff at Lake Powell and lived.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I would say that I have several best sport moments,
they all occured in Jr. High!

1. It was raining out so, our class was told to play kick ball in the gym!
When it was my turn, I was standing under one goal, and the ball was rolled to me, I kicked it and went in the other goals net!

2. My first time playing flag football, at school I tackled everbody! lol

3. We always played dodgeball in gym class, and I was usually one of the last 2 left!
The bad thing was my opponent was blind!
He was always still in the game because, people felt that it was wrong to hit him!
I never could catch his balls!
He would just throw them anywhere he could, and most of the time they would be nowhere near me!

Well, needless to say, you know what happened next, I had to win!

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

and this,

reply to post by chissler

I can attest to. I was in the crowd.

My own sporting career was short lived. Won lots of floor hockey tournaments. Won quite a few neighbourhood vs. neighbourhood road hockey tourney's too. They were fun but nothing really worth mentioning. Made a few dollars though.

My favorite sporting memory was being in Montreal during their cup run in May of '86. The city was electric. For a teenager from Cape Breton, who happened to be a life long Habs fan, it was incredible to experience the energy.

For my favorite moment on the tube, it's a toss up. Either the Bronco's winning the Super Bowl. After years of heart break, Elway deserved one.

Or this.

Joe Carter's homerun in the bottom of the ninth. Gave them 2 in a row. The first one was more important but you can't beat that for dramatics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join