It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Church Plans to Picket Ledger Memorial

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

US Church Plans to Picket Ledger Memorial

au.news.yahoo.com

An American church plans to picket memorials held for Australian actor Heath Ledger because he played a gay cowboy in the film Brokeback Mountain.

The Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas, says it will protest against any memorial held for Ledger in the United States because the 28-year-old actor supported homosexuals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Only in America...

"Well he played a gay man in a movie... That's near enough for us... Get him!"

This is the most ridiculous and tasteless thing I have heard of in a good while.

So what if he portrayed a gay man in a film and happens to support gay-rights? His involvement in the film probably really gave him an inside view of what it's like to be gay in the Hookworm and Rickets belt of America.

I amazes me that this kind of intolerence exists.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
That's tacky as hell. Don't these people have jobs? This was a character in a movie. Swift.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Beelzebubba

Well said Beezlebubba. To parasitize a personal and family tragedy to promote a homophobic agenda by stalking the funeral of a heterosexual actor who once played the role of a homosexual is simply appalling and cretinous.

Really some people are so blinded by irrational hatred that they lose their entire moral compass and become the very demons they think, in their delusional minds, that they are attacking.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

"And then the other place I'm going to picket him is when they prop him up to worship his dead, rotting carcass further at the Oscars. I'll be right outside by the red carpet."

Now that sounds like a Church speaking.

I wonder who shall picket the dead, rotting carcasses of all the gay-pedophile-priests.

Excuse me mister priest, but he was ONLY an actor.

That movie was like PRETEND, you know.

Not the real thing.

[edit on 24/1/08 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I went numb when I learnt that Heath Ledger was dead. Just stunned. An Aussie actor I had grown up watching. It is fairly narrow minded to be this negative towards him because he played a gay character. Probably also hypocritical for about half of 'em.

But these people have every right to protest, irrespective of their views.
Also, it is the Church. Allowances must be made for 'special' people.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Ahh you guys heard it from me first . Check the heath is dead thread . I knew they were gonna spin this for personal gain . Thats what nutjobs do.

Im not a fan of heath but i support peoples rights to love . I would never take away that which makes someone happy and hurts noone (sane)

My mother always taught me if my actions hurt no one . Then my accuser is the one with the problem .

I hope someone takes queue from anon and goes after this cult sect.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

This is the trademark of this particular church, they have a long history of gaybashing and are of little significance.

The media always helps to promote their brand of radical christianity by reporting on these quacks.

It is a publicity stunt to try and gather more of the same hate-filled people into their twisted reality.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

i have one Question
who cares? this so called church is made up of what 70 odd people
and all of them are family and cousins,
most likely Imbred.

all they are is a bunch of fowled mouth individuals who just made up their own Cult,

Only problem is they get to much media coverage which they seem to thrive on, Bad press is Still PRESS

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Westboro Baptist Church

The small church runs numerous websites such as GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com and others expressing condemnation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people (LGBT), Roman Catholics, Muslims and Jews, as well as populations it believes are supporting the forementioned groups, including Swedes, Canadians, Irish, British, and Americans.

Ahhhhh!

It is all clear to me now!

Now is there anybody they do not hate?

[edit on 24/1/08 by Souljah]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Shirley Phelps "I'm going to picket him in two places. I'm going to stand outside of any public memorial service that he has here. And then the other place I'm going to picket him is when they prop him up to worship his dead, rotting carcass further at the Oscars. I'll be right outside by the red carpet."

This groups M.O. is being obnoxious vultures at others funerals...
news.bbc.co.uk...

What goes around comes around.

Edit: Hmm others pre-empted my sentiment while researching, anyway here's the wiki on Ms Phelps. en.wikipedia.org...
And her kids look like copy + paste from The Virgin Suicides.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

It just amazes me that this congregation (as small as it is) would stoop to such idiotically low levels. Then I read Souljah's latest post.

Here in Australia, this kind of thing just wouldn't have happened (not even Fred Nile would have stooped to this).

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Its sad when you can use hate to recruit. I thought that was reserved for the supremacists and the like .
How can no one see this crap and not be appalled .
Hell if atheists were doing this i would say the same thing .

HATE does not trump LOVE!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

god bless these Australian Presenters

i couldnt resist posting this video

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
They gonna picket the funerals of the various men who have played the spear guy or Pontius Pilot in the various passion plays?

How nice of these Christians to do gods job and judge a fellow man.

I'm sure god will be waiting for them at the heavenly gates for this nice gesture...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Oh rofl, it's that Church. Didn't read the article.
Oh ya, they're all inbred, pour souls. Don't know why Child Services don't take the children away.

Who cares what they do. They protest at the funerals of servicemen that died in Iraq. They are nobody.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mindless

The media is no help, they report this kind of crap because it strikes at emotions which to them equals ratings which equals money.

Follow the trail and usually at the end someone is making some money.

Take a look at demonstrations, if there are no incidents, and it is peaceful you won't hear about it besides maybe local coverage, if some wackos show up or some violence erupts BINGO! MSM is LIVE on the scene.

Pitiful, as bad as those crazy folks picketing the memorial IMO.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Gotta love the Chaser.

So it's "THAT" Church.

Thanks for posting that, I needed a good laugh!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Could someone send me the info on this church please. I think im gonna start picketing things myself.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

But these people have every right to protest, irrespective of their views.
Also, it is the Church. Allowances must be made for 'special' people.

I'm not so sure. Ledger is a private citizen with no impact on public policy or government and not a paid representative of the government, unlike the unfortunate dead soldiers they also picket . Additionally I would assume his funeral will be a private service. I am all for free speech but this transcends that noble cause and becomes harrassment. I would love to see some lawyers take these idiots on. They certainly have a right to their opinion, no matter how ignorant, but they do not have a right to stalk or harrass other citizens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join