It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming May Reduce Atlantic Hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Global Warming May Reduce Atlantic Hurricanes

www.foxnews.com

In it, researchers link warming waters, especially in the Indian and Pacific oceans, to increased vertical wind shear in the Atlantic Ocean near the United States.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

Wind shear — a change in wind speed or direction — makes it hard for hurricanes to form, strengthen and stay alive.

So that means "global warming may decrease the likelihood of hurricanes making landfall in the United States," according to researchers at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Miami Lab and the University of Miami.

With every degree Celsius that the oceans warm, the wind shear increases by up to 10 mph, weakening storm formation, said study author Chunzai Wang, a research oceanographer at NOAA.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Can hurricanes help us with global warming?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The study indicates that ocean warming increases verticle wind shear in the atmosphere which makes it difficult for hurricanes to form. Ie. global warming decreases the risk of hurricaness.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
FOXnews..............
I was under the impresiion that the warmer the water the more energy it has to keep a storm going, the atlantic is warmer and i cant remember when ive ever seen so many really big storms!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Fada126

Hi Fada,

I thought the same thing about a warmer body of water being better able to sustain a storm. But if you think about how these storms build on themselves to enlarge but if they keep getting broken up by the wind shear forces they can't. So maybe with warmer conditions you would get more storm numbers but they wouldn't be as violent??

I watch the "scitech" in several news agencies including BBC, New Scientist, The Monitor and Fox is often times the first to have an article. I have no complaints in the way they handle their scientific articles. All the agencies tend to sensationalize. This same study will appear in other papers soon, I'm sure. I pay little attention to their political coverage.

top topics

join