It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans Believe In Creation

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myollinir
evolution is probably one of the most broken theories ever created (for explanation as to why we are here that is...)

That's like saying a car is one of the most broken vehicles ever created because it can't be used for transoceanic flights. The theory of evolution makes no claims regarding the origin of life, only the origin of species aka biodiversity. Anyone who tried to tell you otherwise needs to reeducate themselves on it.

nobody has addressed the absolute smallest level of matter when it comes to evolution... well not THE smallest but I'm talking about a cellular level. where did these cells develop the ability to evolve? there has to be some kind of forming point where the ability to evolve was installed in the reproduction/growth of these cells that make up organisms that can "evolve". evolution is not a starting theory like creation is. i believe evolution definitely exists...but it doesn't prove a damn as to why we showed up on this rock....

Agreed, see above reply. But keep in mind that creationism isn't a theory at all - theories require an overwhelming body of evidence supporting them. There is no evidence for creationism.

this one perfect rock, that science is continuing to prove is the only one out there that can sustain life like us. life so perfect and unique, on a planet that is perfectly set on a perfect run around a star, in a perfect solar system that is set up to catch most danger floating our way.

This is equivalent to a puddle saying that pothole it was formed in must have been created specifically for it. It's backwards logic that presupposes your conclusion, and you capture that perfectly when you say "life like us". And given that we're only recently able to gather in depth data on extrasolar planets, I think the jury is still out on whether or not this is the only planet able to sustain life like us, not to mention other forms of life.

creation is a good thing. it gives inspiration to be a good person and to share with one another. atheism and science is all full of haughty and pompous people who can't handle an answer that is so benevolent... being a good person? who would want that. it always disheartens me to see a dispute between "creationists" and "evolutionists" because the only point is to disprove the other but ridiculous reasoning such as "you can't prove that" or "it is SO totally forced".

Does it also give inspiration to be a bigot against people who don't believe in something similar? There's no evidence to show that proponents of evolutionary theory are any less "good" than those who believe in creationism. To suggest otherwise is bigotry based on personal belief.

religion and science can work hand in hand. we are just figuring the answers out in our own minds that we were given before the full answers are shown to us when we pass to the ultimate existence. when I say we were "given" our minds, I'm stating that it is very hard to explain how our consciousness evolved, when no other organism currently possesses our level of self awareness... our knowledge that we will die some day and that we do definitely exist. and to be honest creation seems to ring a few more bells than evolution in this category.

If you met hominids from, say, 1M years ago, do you think you would recognize them as possessing the same level of self-awareness that we do? Life hasn't stopped evolving.

and why are [most] people driven to live good lives? to give to others in a world where giving to others gets you no where. this world is full of greed, and it is the greatest way to get to the top. why would anyone care about helping someone cross the road today if it doesn't matter at all? don't you think we are semi aware of some sort of cosmic justice that exists beyond this existence?

I think the reasons for people living "good" lives are as varied as people are themselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
Atheism seems to be dominated by this said group of Caucasians who only know one language and this is another 'fact' I have noticed.

What about the 100-180 million atheists in China? And that's the low end of the estimate. Some surveys put the number at over 700 million Chinese atheists. So much for your "fact".

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I have stated in other topics just how to identify one of these said self-proclaimed gods also.

Yes, you have stated in other threads... then people start posting actual evidence to the contrary, you abandon those threads because the argument isn't going your way, and you infest another one. You parrot the same disproven "facts" over and over again, hoping that no one will notice.

Conflating atheism and megalomania, which is what you're describing when you say "self-proclaimed gods", runs contrary to atheism. From the last thread you posted this bogus line of reasoning in...

Atheism, in general, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. As such, it is usually distinguished from theism, which affirms the reality of the divine and often seeks to demonstrate its existence. Atheism is also distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open the question whether there is a god or not, professing to find the questions unanswered or unanswerable.
Encyclopædia Britannica

in my opinion they are a lowly crowd, lost and unguided... I can only imagine the upbringing this particular group of Deist must have had.

You do have some strong opinions on atheism, as well as what your place is as a Caucasian male. Let's take a look at one of your oldies but goodies.

... and I personally do not like Atheists just as much as they dislike 'mainly' Christianity (that which built this nation and provided us the freedom of speech we are allowed to express here) Do most of you seriously believe half of the conversations that have taken place here on ATS would be allowed to be hosted in China or any Arabic counrty ? let alone even Britain with their Hate speech laws ? Atheism is the scourge which is attacking freedom of thought and expression, everything that I and my country stand for.

Yes I dislike Atheists as I am allowed to express, I am sorry it goes against others grain but I feel these kids need to be brought up to speed... The majority of these said self-proclaimed Atheists happen to be British and Canadian, I have been on the internet long enough to have figured this out. Mostly this is because of the Church state Britain has experienced in their past living under the popes rule and for Canadians it is just plain jealousy besides them being mostly of French decent.

I am a Caucasian male disgusted... and at any rate I am doing my part... We will be taking over from here...

it is horrible and they only need education to be able to see we are all Created equal, Racism runs amok in the Atheistic faith.

By education, you obviously mean "religious indoctrination" and you keep claiming that atheism and belief in the theory of evolution (which you also repeatedly conflate incorrectly) are inherently racist, despite all evidence to the contrary. Your only evidence supporting this view is a handful of words from the subtitle of one of Darwin's books (which you repeatedly incorrectly name) taken out of context. Again, you and your bigoted agenda seem to be precisely what you accuse atheists of having.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Good, the thread is back to being chuckle worthy.

To address the topic at hand. Creation/Evolution two sides of the same coin. Neither completely satisfactory.
One however is doctrinal in nature "This is how it happened and that's a fact Jack!"
The other is speculative, nay theoretical based on the best empirical data available.
Therefore does it not make more sense to teach the generations to come what we have learnt rather than simply what we believe ?

Indoctrination and blind belief are dangerous. After all if your faith is strong then surely you believe each person will come to find (your) god in their own way ?

As an atheist myself (who'd have guessed, right). I always find it amusing to watch "the faithful" thrash about in panic when I profess no interest in deities beyond their impact on the shaping of civilization. It is as if my "failure" to believe threatens their own ability to do so.
This is not restricted to any particular religion incidentally. I find all deity worship quaint and antiquated.
edit on 28-12-2010 by Noncompatible because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join