It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overseas Investors Buy Aggressively in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Overseas Investors Buy Aggressively in U.S.

www.nytimes.com

With a growing share of investment coming from so-called sovereign wealth funds — vast pools of money controlled by governments from China to the Middle East — lawmakers and regulators are calling for greater scrutiny to ensure that foreign countries do not gain influence over the financial system or military-related technology. On the presidential campaign trail, the Democratic candidates have begun to focus on these foreign funds, calling for international rules that would make them more transparent
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Not that I like Jim Cramer but he is quoted in the article as saying:
Perhaps emblematic of national ambivalence, in an appearance on CNBC last week, the voluble market analyst Jim Cramer spoke in menacing terms about the growing role of state investment funds from the Middle East and China.

“Do we want the communists to own the banks, or the terrorists?” Mr. Cramer asked. “I’ll take any of it, I guess, because we’re so desperate.”

The Saudi's are buying America on the cheap and we are paying for it with high oil prices. A bit more than just ironic...

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Hey Cramer is amazing... I'll take his advice any day

But first I'll do my homework.... he'd want it that way

[edit on 23-1-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There was an interesting article in Mother Jones a couple of months back, describing how individual states are selling off valuable assets for short-term financial windfalls. Various states have been selling off portions of their highways systems to foreign corporations, which then turn American roads into toll roads, with the proceeds going overseas.

The immediate income generated pays for state programs, which, if popular, get the politicians re-elected. Long-term the money quickly disappears, along with our ownership of very basic products such as our roads.

First, we sold off our assets to Corporate America. Now, it seems they are being regifted to Corporate China.

Scary.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
wonderful i allready knew this was happening. at least it now seems the msm cant pretend it isent happening any more. i have a feeling that nothing useful will be done about this . sure we might get some token legislation through but nothing important or of true value. you know sometimes i wish it was like when i was a kid and had no clue about anything going on except what new toys were coming out and what games i could get for my atari.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Isn't this how capitalism is supposed to work though? The rich buying what they can to make more money?
People can't really embrace capitalism then cry foul when foreigners get the upper hand monetarily and start buying up assets. During the boom years it was Americans, and other Western corporations buying up real estate and companies in other lands. A simple case of "what goes around comes around".

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Citigroup and Merrill Lynch are selling preffered stock, with a guaranteed 10% return, to the Saudi's and others at bankruptcy prices.

Citigroup and Merrill have sold nearly a 30 billion dollar stake in their business. So folks think about it... how do you like the idea of Saudi Arabia holding the note on your home????

The Saudi's support Wahabist fundamentalist Muslim groups which call for the destruction of our country!

Ofcourse the Sheik's don't want to destroy the U.S. but the majority of the population probably does.

That is capital leaving the country along with jobs and the sovereignty of our nation. Brought to you by the flag waving, pious, conservative party!!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Like I said before in other threads the biggest danger to our nations National security is going to be the free sell out of our nations security for a profit.

No politicians has addressed this dangerous times facing our nation, now we have all this foreigners owning a piece of our nation and with enough power to dictate policies and buy our or morons in Washington.

new topics

top topics

join