It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sitx Barter Town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hello Everyone, new member first post.

I have been reading the posts in the survival forums for the past week and there are alot of good ideas and well prepared posters here. What I have to ask is how many people and or groups would be willing to barter with a stranger for something you lack and want. Of course precautions implemented (ie blind fold so as to not see camp defenses, etc) ? Or is any stranger that approaches dead meat?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I personally would barter with some one if, and its a big if, they are not a threat or an obstacle. But other than that, yes I would.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I would expect that there would spring up regular barter zones in a total breakdown of society. There is always someone willing to trade. People would quickly start seeking trade.

As a matter of fact, there are a lot of reasons to think that any start of reorganizing of society would occur because of the need to barter. A strong group would find it a benefit to encourage trade under their protection, obtaining a "tax" to fund the service. (Perhaps an area where weapons were not allowed by anyone except the service providers.)

Trading is an ancient custom.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I might consider barter, but only if the exchange would significantly improve my own situation.
The risks of dealing with another person or group would have to be weighed aginst the benefits of the barter.
As in any envirorment the population can not exceed the resources.
To establish a large enough group to constitue a significant barter location would require alot of resources to maintain the primary group, and the larger the group and area the more resources that would have to be dedicated to security.
A full time security force is not productive in as much as they consume more than they return on a daily basis.
Even a part time security force where some alternating schedual allows every able bodied person to take part in security still only allows for part time contribution from all the able bodied.
I think as i originaly said, i would be very discriminating in whether and with whom I engaged in any transaction with.
If you have enough surplus resources to maintain a full time security force, you also have enough resources to become a very desirable target.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
True 1Shot,

Setting up a viable bartering town would consume alot of resources and pose some problems. But not everyone is going to be a part of a group. I believe most barting would be done by small groups and or individuals. Yes there is saftey in numbers and a group can do more than an individual could but not everyone has that luxury of like minded people. I started this thread to see if barter would be a viable option in SitX when the last roll of Charmin is gone or if i should just stock up on Ivy-Be-Gone. I would think that if barter towns would be set up I would probably not even go there. No need to draw attention to myself or make myself a target. Will be hard enough in SitX as is.

top topics

join