It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova due 2012?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I read about a super massive star called "Eta Carinae", going nova sometime on or around 2012; do you think this could be what the Mayan prophesies were about? Or do you think maybe they just ended on an arbitrary date in their distant future rather than keep calculating celestial events indefinitely. Other than ‘lighter nights’ for a time, what do you think would happen?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
that caught my eye.. because they cant predict when a sun will nova.. so I checked out the web site.. the best they can narrow it down to is between now.. and a few million years from now..

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but if it does go supernova, won't it take 7,500 years for us to notice it? I mean, the star is 7,500 light years away. So 2012 is pretty unrealistic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Correct me if I am wrong, but if it does go supernova, won't it take 7,500 years for us to notice it? I mean, the star is 7,500 light years away. So 2012 is pretty unrealistic

You're right and you're wrong. If it were to go Nova in 2012, we wouldn't know for 7500 years. However if Eta Cranine blew 7500 years ago, the effects would hit us tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The myans predicted something to happen 12-21-2012. It just so happenes, the sun will be in the center of the milkyway galaxy. What that means for us is up to speculation.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
The myans predicted something to happen 12-21-2012. It just so happenes, the sun will be in the center of the milkyway galaxy. What that means for us is up to speculation.

How would the Mayans know something that happened 7,500 light years away without any kind of technology whatsoever? I see the whole 2012 thing as a prediction, not as a scientific death sentence.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Well who knows maybe what really happens is Jesus returns that day did anybody wise think of that hope yall get what I mean.

new topics

top topics

join