It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney Calls for Permanent Warrantless Wiretapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Cheney Calls for Permanent Warrantless Wiretapping

www.washingtonpost.com

Vice President Cheney called on Congress today to permanently extend the Protect America Act as the White House launched a drive to secure the tools it says are needed to fight a continuing terrorist threat beyond the law's Feb. 1 expiration.

In a speech to a sympathetic audience at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative Washington-based think tank, Cheney also said the law must include immunity from lawsuits for telecommunications companies that assisted the U.S. government's electronic surveillance efforts after Sept. 11, 2001.

"There is no sound reason to pass critical legislation like the Protect America Act and slap an expiration date on it," Cheney said. "The challenge to the country has not expired over the last six months. It won't expire any time soon, and we should not write laws that pretend otherwise."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cheney Aide: "We're One Bomb Away From Getting Rid" Of Wiretapping Court
Top Secret: We're Wiretapping You
NEWS: Cheney Defends Domestic Spying

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What is there to lose? What is there to gain? How far can governments take our personal freedom?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Not sure. They could start by installing cameras in your home, just in case you're reading a naughty novel by Gore Vidal.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
What I find ridiculous is that they be listening for key words like terrorist, bomb, plot, and these are all things that concerned good citizens discuss on the telephone and in emails. The terrorists however will have codes so the only recovered data will be on ordinary people rather than trained bad guys...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It's been proven that wiretapping doesn't actually help in the search for terrorists.
All it does is makes the citizens of the country afraid of the government, to a point that they won't get in the way when the government takes the final steps to ensure a permanent police state.

Knowing how people react to their privacy being repeatedly invaded without warrant or reason, I'm quite positive Cheney or a number of key figures in the current administration will be assassinated. At least this time, we will know why.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Perhaps the first wiretaps from today should be on Bush and Cheney? after all it seems that all the lies have to be discussed somewhere?

I think this man is paranoid and a hypocrite, What did this man do to deserve being vice President of the USA? does it not terrify you that something could happen to Bush and this man is put in charge? what was the name of the vice president that was a joke? Dan quail or something like that? why do these folk get the job in the first place? cos its way beyond me..

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It's only getting worse....give a horse an inch and he'll find a way to hang the whole stable with a thousand words and a picture....eerrr...

The article said "sympathetic audience"....really?!?

I'm incredulous....the only stories I hear nowadays regarding the administration regard the failures/inefficiencies of Bush and Co. or their attempt to strangle the nation further....

No lawsuits against telecommunications companies for their involvement in the aftermath of 9/11? Sounds like the modern day version of paperclip....Operation stapler anyone?

Milton Waddams: Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Not suprising coming from Dick Insaney. The guy is a power freak. He is a VERY dangerous person, who's lust for power, wealth and control knows no boundaries.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
The article said "sympathetic audience"....really?!?

haha yeah, the Heritage foundation..

"Those who assist the government in tracking terrorists should not be punished with lawsuits," Cheney said at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

www.sourcewatch.org...

The Heritage Foundation concerns itself with many issues, from missile defense to Europe to public administration, and about 20 other subject areas. It regularly publishes comprehensive articles, papers, journals, etc., expressing its strong neo-conservative opinions in these subject areas.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
great lets give big goverment even more powers right before bush jumps ship, i got a idea how about i just wear a camera on my head so they see everything i do, will that make me more secure please mr vice president save me from my personal freedoms.

new topics

top topics

join