It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

This is the first time in My ATS history, whereby I will dissagree with a MOD.

I can't believe what the mod previously said, and I am aghast at what he said.

I, as a member, am truely appalled at what this Mod said.

~not a happy Ducky~

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

And I did want you to react that way

You DID want me to react that way??!?

What the hell??!?

*Sigh*

Anybody that knows me on this forum, knows that I don't MAJOR crap for nothing. Ask around. I guarentee you this.

I will STOP it here and now. It's done.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Oh for crying out loud...when I said that I 'wanted you to react that way' I meant your first post when I thought that you were mockingly aghast....in no way did I desire you to take any offense...nor did I desire confusion.

I figured that you knew it was a joke in stride and that it was of course not personal

I hereby apologize for the misunderstanding...I'll take full responsibility for it.

Okay? Are we cool?

And I am not a Mod in thread or the debate forum. I was trying to join in the off comments not force them....

Sheesh...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

As this thread pertains to the Debate Forum We ALL must act accordingly to the rules, and therefore present ourselves in the most distinguished ways therein.

I accept your Appology MemoryShock, and will diligently continue on, with the relevelvant subject at hand.

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Looks like I missed out on some kind of a day. The results won't all necessarily come at once, but close to it. When the results come is somewhat related to the availability of and need for additional judges, etc. I expect all of the matches that are ready to be judged to have results this weekend, with any luck at all.

The secondary tournament will begin at the beginning of the next round. We have waited for the end of this round so that we will have enough participants.

Before the next round starts, I'd like some input on topics. Not just topic suggestions this time though. Are there any kinds of topics that our forum collectively believes should not be assigned? Do we want to stay away from things that have too much emperical evidence, or do we want to stay away from things that are too abstract? Do we want to avoid morality/religion or politics? If there is a wide spread agreement of any sort I would like to try and abide by it in creating the next round's topics, as multiple issues related to topic did emerge in this round.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I am glad I saw this before heading out to work....

NO, NO, NO and NO!!!!!

There should be no topic, (Within the T&C) ((And I believe even then it could be expanded for us)) that is off limits to our forum. Some individual members may object for the reasons stated in the rules, but never ever off limits.

I am not sure what issue arose, but it is my contention that either the Debater comes prepared to debate whatever the topic is, or they do not enter the tournament.

Look at it this way.

If we start selecting topics so that certain members wont complain, how far is the stretch before another member complains that the topics are being "set" for other certain members?

If a member complains long enough until they get a desired topic, is that fair to the rest of the debaters?

Since I have been here I have engaged in debates on Murders and Pedophiles rights to evil Clowns to the Homeless to Colonizing other planets and Stealing during crisis and many more. Some had good material available, some not so much. Some required a massive amount of research and some required that I provide the "meat" of the debate.
That is just the way the cookie crumbles, what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander on and on.

As debaters here at ATS we should pride ourselves on being the ATS masters of topic manipulation and research. We can not take that honor if our debates become tailor made for individuals and stop crossing certain lines, be they self drawn lines or societal.

I will subject to you that there is NO topic I will turn down. I may attempt to alter the topic during the debate, but rest assured that is just a tactic and not indicative of any dissatisfaction with a topic.

My opinion is that this forum is important now, but has potential far beyond the current configuration and I intend, (God and Admin willing) to stay the course and be a part of where I see this forum going.

Think of the possibilities:

1. Conflict resolution on the boards: See a couple of posters going at it with potential to be banned; put them in a debate on the subject, and let the issues be closed on the results of their debate.

2. Topic Exploration: Admin or Mods assigning certain controversial topics to be debated and explored here on this forum.

3. Board Broadcast Challenges: Pick a particular topic and broadcast a challenge to debate. Select several debaters and they all debate the same issue seeking to expand the boards knowledge of the subject.

There is more, but suffice it to say it excites me what could come from this forum.

Now I have been around long enough to know that perhaps nothing will come from this other than the enjoyment we are experiencing now. Yet it should not be from lack of trying, topic manipulation or random complaining.

These are just my thoughts all, and it's early, I just woke up and have to work my Sat., so forgive me if some of it is incoherent.

Semper

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

So it's a debate ya want with old What U KNO eh? Hmm I'm all for it. But alas it appears your dance card is full with semperfortis and I don't double date

But if and when you feel like offering your throat to the wolf with the red roses, give me a U2U and ill be more than happy to assist you

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
[edit on 8-3-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
My opinion is that this forum is important now, but has potential far beyond the current configuration and I intend, (God and Admin willing) to stay the course and be a part of where I see this forum going.

you really didn't just write that did you? oh good lord Semper,
I mean seriously stay the course?!?

other than just that one line I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. It's not up to us to choose the topic of the debates in this tournament but to bring to bear all the weapons available to our minds.

stay the course really? I mean cmon stay the course?

Ugg Im gonna go be sick...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
And what my friend is wrong with "Stay The Course"?

That is one of my most fond metaphors

Semper

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Im mostly playing
but that is a bushism that I cannot stand.

But I completely agree that no subject should be taboo in this forum unless it violates the T&C I think it's up to us the debtors to do our best to defend our side of a debate even if we do not necessarily agree with our side of the argument. That is what makes these such awesome debates.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I agree with what semper said. In no way, shape or form should there be "taboo subjects". In no way, shape or form need we worry about too much empiricial evidence or too abstract ideas.

The purpose of the Debate Forum is to strengthen one´s ability to research, argue a point, convince, learn.

To be able to argue a point contrary to one´s own narrow opinions is enlightening.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Topic ideas for the next round

* The aging process can be slowed down

* Nobody can be fully liberal or fully conservative.

* Smoking has its benefits

* The two-party system is a scam / is no good.

* Its unnatural for couples to stay together their entire life

* Past-life regression is nonsense

* ATS is a good research tool

* Time doesnt exist

* Something strange and secret is happening in the Antarctica

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Good ones Sky...

Here are a few from me..

Lighthearted:

1. Reporting on Brittney Spears is good news
2. Watching Television has made us all idiots
3. Seatbelts are a matter of personal choice and no laws should be in place regulating them.

Serious:
1. How can there be a water shortage, when matter can not be created or destroyed?
2. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity is what is good for America
3. There is a religious conspiracy to control the government/world
4. Wikipedia, Fun or Science?

Semper

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
3. Seatbelts are a matter of personal choice and no laws should be in place regulating them.

People if you get semperfortis as pro on this issue RUN AWAY! RUN FAR FAR AWAY! RUN SCREAMING!

Sorry man, that one just wouldn't be fair to debate YOU with.

I got a few

Lighthearted:

Southpark Vs The Simpsons which is the better show

Fast food Vs Home Cooking

WUKNR Idiocy showcased or mindless drivel? (sorry the egomaniac in me can't help it)

Serious:

The Nuclear club, can anyone join?

All crime is theft.

Assisted Suicide

Sorry if these have been covered before. I might not have read them all.

hows that for ya?

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

ok here is my 2 cents.

We could make the debates tournaments with a narrower field. Use ATS topics forums like these:

Conspiracies in Religion Debate Tournament.

9/11 Debate Tournament

NWO Debate Tournament.

Ect Ect

Each tournament win you would get one of the forums buttons on your Avatar.

Each fighter could sign up for whatever field they are most interested in, and we could have a champ in each category.

Then at the end, All of the different Champs would compete in a final pot luck debate round.

Also a retro debate tournament would be cool, re debate all topics debated so far, with different debaters.

[edit on 8-3-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The Debates are such good reading. I wish more people would read them instead of all the half-hearted threads being opened elsewhere every day.
This semperfortis vs. coven debate for example, is brilliant. Cant help but advertise for it:

Happiness-Debate

[edit on 8-3-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Maybe a topic for debate can be:

How can sublime get out of the $285 fine he got for letting his inspection sticker expire?

Weaksauce.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

An interesting idea that could be incorporated/refined/slash worked with in th efuture...

Absolutely Brilliant...

This could also be a way to encourage more participants...

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I would have to say no Vagabond. The randomness of the topics is half the fun. I think that the forum would lose some of it's luster if you started to use middle of the road topics all the time. After seeing the holocaust, drugs, spousal abuse and so on debated rationally and within the T and C, I don't see a need to change the format. You have crafted a well defined set of rules that can give a fighter an opt out clause for a debate. I think thats good enough.

Some topics for the next round.

Canadian Politicians are directly affecting the US Presidential Elections.

The suppression of alternate fuel technologies is good/bad for mankind.

Hollywood is a mirror of America today.

There won't be another large scale terrorist attack on North American soil.

Raoul Castro will change Cuba for the better.

Africa will be the cause of the next world war.

Biofuels won't harm our food supply.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join