It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I've sent my opponent a u2u immediately after posting my reply. The u2u has still not been read, so I'm left to assume that he has not been around in awhile and see no reason why I would expect a speedy return. I'm going to move ahead and submit my next post given it's been days. If my opponent forfeits his next reply, I think we'd be looking at a forfeiture.

That won't be for another day or two though, so hopefully Vagabond has made it back by then.

I wrote vagabond a u2u probably 2-3 days ago (thursday night-friday morning) and he still hasn't read it, so he definately hasn't even been on ATS since then.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I owe you all a huge apology. I've been gone pretty much all week because of obligations at school- putting out a campus paper that can compete for awards is no easy task when half the people writing for you probably never should have been given their highschool diplomas. My statistics professor, ATS, an idea I'm pursuing a patent on, and my grandma's lawn have all been casualties of this circumstance, so you're in really good company.

I've announced a few disqualifications because we are too far into round 1 to keep bringing in alternates (plus we would have needed at least 3 alternates)

For round 2 I will be introducing a new system for extensions that will streamline the process a bit.

Beginning in round 2, all extensions are 24 hours, and a debater may request 2 of them during the course of a single debate. Please note that a 24 hour extension begins at the original deadline not at the time of request. Therefore if I have a deadline of 10pm, and I request an extension at 8pm, my new deadline is 10pm the following day, not 8 pm the following day.

Requests for extensions are must be posted in the debate thread, and they are automatically granted.

Once a debater is late, as determined by date stamps on posts, his opponent may proceed without being told by a moderator.

If a late debater gets his post in before his opponent replies, his post will stay up.

Once the opponent posts however, the late debater has lost his turn.

It is possible that a late debater will post not knowing that his opponent beat him to the punch (if they both start composing their posts at the same time but the late debater does not finish first). In that case a moderator will delete the late post before judging.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the update, Vagabond.

However...

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I owe you all a huge apology.

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. This forum was once something that operated annually. Thanks to you, and you alone, this forum is now a mainstay on the recent posts page and our members have the opportunity on a weekly basis to harness their debating skills.

Apologizing for needing a day or two to yourself is hardly necessary.

And anyone who accepts his apology is going to get a size twelve in the backside!

All jokes aside, good to see you around and looking forward to the tournament.

Stay strong.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think that chissler and I need to open a seperate debate thread...topic? Who could have said it better...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Because of personal life things coming up, unfortunately, I am not going to be able to participate after this week. Because of this, I am not going to be participating in the debates since I know its going to last longer than this week.

If there is somebody out there who would like to take my spot since I had a bye and have not started debating yet, I would encourage you to speak up. Sorry I have to back out like this, maybe when MemoryShock and Semper have time we can do a 1v1 when I have the time. Good luck to you all.

(I already let vagabond know whats up)

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I believe that only one debate still requires judging now. Round 2 will commence on Saturday. I'll send out u2us by then.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Waiting is such agony, I will say though that I thought that the debate between myself and LDragonFire was quite entertaining. I did enjoy that debate very much and I won't be disappointed at all if LDragonFire wins this one.

But waiting for the results sucks.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Welcome to the debate forum...

I recall some epic off topic conversations that took place while a field of fighters were waiting for the judges. Do a search for the 2005 Debate Tourney Commentary thread if you don't believe me...

We were pretty brutal at times.....aahhh...good times.

Well done on your debate...

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Reinforcements have been called in to help with the judging of the last pending debate.

I've drawn up the matchups for next round (there is a slight change depending on who wins the outstanding match, but not much) and either way it should be interesting. A couple of sharp newcomers are going to have their chance to unseat seasoned vets.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Who ever wins this one, should jump up and down like we have been picked To Come on Down on the price is Right!!!! Waiting isn't so bad if you like getting root canals or having a ingrown toenail removed....

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
By the way, we're still looking for an experienced debater to replace GrimReaper797. Preferably ranked 5 or higher. If we don't get one, I don't know what we'll do yet. The rule on bringing back the person the forfeiting member defeated doesn't work because GrimReaper had a bye and hasn't eliminated anyone, and I don't want to subject anyone to double-jeopardy on a match they've already won.

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

If you can't find anyone, you can bring someone back versus me. I haven't faced anyone yet so there's no chance of double jeopardy!

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here is the lineup for next round. We begin saturday, and I will have a replacement for GrimReaper by then. Topic suggestions my friends.

Coven v Semperfortis

Animal v Loki

whatukno v Memoryshock

TLomon v Argos

dominusluciferi v _____

Sublime620 v GAOTU789

Illusionsaregrander v Truth Within

Chissler v Skyfloating

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
"Subliminal Advertising is Effective and Being Used Today."

"MK-Ultra was a Government Project to Establish The Culpability of Rapid Induction Hypnosis Upon the Populace."

"There is a possibility That Science Will Produce A "Pill" That Can Cause Complete Happiness With No Negative Physical/Psychological Side Effects."

"Radio Signals Have a Relevant Influence on the Human Body and Can Be Used to Modify Short Term Behaviour."

"The Introduction of Pyscho-Tropic Drugs For Depression and Other Psychological Disorders is a Modern Day 'Tuskagee Experiment'.

"MemoryShock Was Robbed in the Title Bout With semperfortis...
"

There's a couple...looking forward to this weekend.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Awww Nurtz I gotta debate MemoryShock!?! Man!
Cant I have an easier opponent?
Im messing around. Good Luck MemoryShock, your gonna need it

Wukky

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well guys, I found a replacement for GrimReaper797. Brace yourselves... It's Intrepid. BOO!
I've got your topic announcements too.

Coven v Semperfortis
Topic: Humans are psychologically incapable of functioning in an existence that is completely free of unhappiness and pain.

Loki v Animal
Topic: Practicing vegitarianism is morally superior to eating meat.

whatukno v Memoryshock
Topic: Marriages between partners who can concieve children together are superior to those in which conception is for some reason impossible.

TLomon v Argos
Topic: Moderates, not extremists, will ultimately control and shape the future of Islam.

dominusluciferi v Intrepid
Topic: Laissez Faire Capitalism is perfectly compatible with liberty and respect for human rights.

Sublime620 v GAOTU789
Topic: Performance-enhancing substances help athletes give the fans what they want, and should be allowed in professional sports, with strong prescription controls in place to limit the associated risks.

Illusionsaregrander v Truth Within
Topic: It is plausible that covert radio signals are presently being used to exert influence on the emotional state and behavior of civilian populations in democratic nations.

Chissler v Skyfloating
Topic: Interstellar travel using slower-than-light craft which carry many generations of passengers would be beneficial and should someday be undertaken.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

OMG thank god I lost!!

So do tell Coven how does it feel to go against the reigning champ in round 2?
no pressure here...?

Awesome topics, can't wait to see what happens.

Good luck Fighters

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Oh wow...interesting topic. This will be fun.

reply to post by whatukno

I'm taking that as a promise, whatukno...that you're going to bringeth it on...

Good Luck to you as well....

As well, there are a few really good matchups....TLomon/Argos is going to be excellent and coven/semper is going to be a fabulous matchup....

Good luck Fighters!!!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Chissler v Skyfloating
Topic: Interstellar travel using slower-than-light craft which carry many generations of passengers would be beneficial and should someday be undertaken.

...Thanks!

Not exactly a space guy.. but today seems like a good day to start.

Good luck, Sky.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

What a topic

Good luck chissler.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join