It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Suburb Bans Renting To Illegal Immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The naiveté of some posters is truly astonishing.

If anyone thinks that American corporate agribusiness or any business that profits from cheap illegal labor is suddenly going to say "oh nevermind" we'll pay min. wage and take the profit hit; is deluded.

The big dogs with the money and the lobbiest and the huge campaign contributions pull the strings. The American taxpayers are chumps!
Nothing will ever be done to do away with cheap labor and to think otherwise is foolish.

Sure the token concession will be thrown out there like the "fence" more border patrol agents, tighter immigration. Smoke and Mirrors!!

If Blackwater mercs are hired, it will be by to govt. to insure the illegals have a safe passage so they can work and maintain profits for the big dogs. Schools out!!

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

[edit on 23-1-2008 by whaaa]

[edit on 23-1-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
well that's kinda funny since I posted the same story
15 minutes before this one got posted.

the first edition

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Is it right to not let them have a place to live once they're here?

It's absolutely right to "not let them have a place ...". Think of it as just another incentive for them not to come here illegally in the first place.

Are we not causing a bigger problem by throwing them out of the homes or apts, causing them to become homeless and possibly turning to crime to get by?

Refusing to rent to them is not the same as throwing them out. And the solution to the so-called "mess" is for them to leave and/or not come here illegally in the first place.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This seems more like pandering to your base and politcal grandstanding than anything else IMHO.

Im a landlord, and before you can rent one of my homes or apartments, I do a credit check. To do a credit check requires a SS# almost everytime. Having a SS# is good enough for me.

So, how do you know the SSN they give you is not from a stolen identity? If you've paid lip service to the regulations, but know it hasn't stopped you from renting to illegals aren't you also breaking the law and therefore part of the problem?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

How do you know that the name and number they give you to check in with the feds is legit? Thats whats going to happen either way.

Thats my whole point, this is just political grandstanding and pandering to whatever base exists in that town that has this point of view. How exactly is this going to stop things? Its not even a superficial bandaid.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

How do you know that the name and number they give you to check in with the feds is legit? Thats whats going to happen either way.

Sooner or later we'll have to have a national ID card. We wouldn't needed if the borders were secure, which they are not.

Issue cards to citizens and other legitimate people and toss out the rest.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

But again, those can be faked and or stolen just like every other document. Short of chipping people and have a DNA scan, I don't see that as effective.

This town is saying in effect 'Don't rent to Hispanics". They are offering no real solution.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

But again, those can be faked and or stolen just like every other document. Short of chipping people and have a DNA scan, I don't see that as effective.

Oh wait. Have you seen the recent version of the green card? I seriously doubt that all the 10,000 holographic features in it, along with the embedded photo, can be duplicated or modified. There is a holographc image of the fingerprint...Stolen cards... Maybe, but this can't be massive by any means. And the fingerprint won't match.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
[Let's see ...
1) they definitely committed a crime by entering the country illegaly.
2) They most probably committed a crime by carrying Drugs or Guns across the border.

Wow this is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in some time. I mean kudos (sort of) it take alot to cram that much ingnorance in one post.

Naturally you can back up all of these claims?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

True, but at somepoint someone always manages to duplicate the suckers. And even a close enough fake is going to pass casual scrutiny.

Aside from this system which I agree will make it harder, this law really amount to a whole lot of nothing IMHO just politcal grandstanding.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
[Let's see ...
1) they definitely committed a crime by entering the country illegaly.
2) They most probably committed a crime by carrying Drugs or Guns across the border.

Wow this is one of the most ignorant posts I have seen in some time. I mean kudos (sort of) it take alot to cram that much ingnorance in one post.

Naturally you can back up all of these claims?

You have a problem with the validity of item 1 - that they committed a crime by entering this country illegally? Sounds like an undisputable fact to me.

And really, nothing else matters beyond that point - but I'll deal with item 2 as well. Read the news. Do some research. The prisons are full of illegals that have committed violent crimes. And there are news stories about armed incursions into the U.S. from mexico. You could say this last point is anecdotal, but here in Northern NV, it sure seems that now days most of the people involved in violent crimes seem to have hispanic names.

Prison Data

2. Between 1991 and 1995, how and why has the number of illegal aliens entering the criminal justice system changed?

USSC

The number of illegal aliens sentenced in federal courts increased by 167 percent , compared with 13 percent for citizens. The number of legal aliens declined by 18 percent over this period.
The share of defendants in federal courts who were illegal aliens rose from 4 percent to 11 percent while the share who were legal aliens declined from 12 percent to 9 percent.
The number of illegal aliens sentenced increased for 89 of the 94 federal district courts, for all major offense categories, and for all major country of citizenship groups.
The increase in the number of illegal aliens appears to be partially attributable to improved border enforcement on the Southwest border—where increases were largest; growth in the resident illegal alien population; and improved identification of illegal aliens in the USSC data and by law enforcement officials.
The sharp increase in the number of illegal aliens sentenced is responsible for more than half of the overall increase in the number of defendants sentenced in federal courts and 44 percent in the growth in costs of federal post-sentencing incarceration and supervision.

How about we quell our bleeding hearts and stop feeling sorry for these criminals?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

This town is saying in effect 'Don't rent to Hispanics".

No, the town is saying, If you're here illegally, stop breaking the law. They don't have to offer a solution. Do police offer a solution to the problem if you are speeding?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
How about we quell our bleeding hearts and stop feeling sorry for these criminals?

Just checked and nope no bleeding here

AT anyrate:

INS data, recently made available at the request of the House and Senate Appropriations subcommittees that fund the agency's budget, show a lower recidivism rate for immigrants. Of the 35,318 criminal aliens INS released from custody (but not did not deport) during October 1994 and May 1999 there were 11,605 who went on to commit new crimes. This recidivism (repeat offender) rate of 37 percent was well below the 66 percent figure for the U.S. criminal population for the comparable period.www.cis.org...

A study published by the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas has discovered that while property-related crime rates have not been affected by increased immigration (both legal and illegal), in border counties there is a significant positive correlation between illegal immigration and violent crime.[46] However, crime rates from 1994 to 2005 have declined slightly, despite the fact that both legal and illegal immigration have increased.[47] Robert Sampson, Professor in Social Sciences at Harvard University, writes in Harvard Magazine in 2006 that being in the country illegally might give illegal aliens an "extra incentive to keep a clean record and not commit crimes, in order to avoid deportation".en.wikipedia.org...

Those are a few, Im trying to weed my way through FBI and DOJ data to get some hard numbers for you.

But will that really matter to you

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
No, the town is saying, If you're here illegally, stop breaking the law. They don't have to offer a solution. Do police offer a solution to the problem if you are speeding?

Seems way to politcaly charged to me to be honest. Its really granstanding pure and simple. It really does nothing and basically promotes door to door witch hunts IMHO.

Real reform is needed not these band aids that play well with the locals but really do nothing otherwise.

The last cop that pulled me over told me to slow down
so He did offer a solution.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

This recidivism (repeat offender) rate of 37 percent was well below the 66 percent figure for the U.S. criminal population for the comparable period.

Likely a meaningless statistic.

This would be easy to explain IMO. IF they deported a bunch of these criminals after their convictions and/or prison terms, then I'm sure their recidivism (repeat offender) rate would be lower than for people that are supposed to be living here.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
just make it legal for any american to go to the border and enforce it themselfs. I mean I know of many who would love to go stop the illegals comming across. Sometimes you cant do anything but shut the borders and man it with american citizens because our gov wont do it with our military. I mean nothing against the town that is doing this I for one think its a great idea as illegals have no right to be here and if you cant rent to illegals they have no house to live in they will hopefully stay in mexico. If they dont well like i said put some americans on the border and we wouldnt have this problem....

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well. LOL Farmer's Branch really isnt all that great of a place. LOL
I know, im from Dallas. Its a very small area too.

Maybe they are trying to clean it up. Maybe crime in the area has risen dramatically due to illegal immigrants living there and they feel this is a step in the right direction to lower crime.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This disgusts me, certain parts of the world seem to be reverting to the same nature of prejudice we had a few decades ago.

All people should be accepted as equal, the only persons unfit to share residence within a nation are those who pose a threat, ie disease bearers, extremists etc..

If the world threw away its segregated view we would be so much better off. Nobody is different to anyone else except in the difference of opinion we hold, why not stop all American's in one state from renting because they do or don't believe in God or one thought one color was better? Its the same thing in essence.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I have said it time and time again...

If you want to come to this country to work in order to support your family, do so legally, if you come here illegally, you need to be deported. It is just simple as that.

I think that it should be made quite easy and cheap (read free) to come to this country from South America on a temporary work visa legally. Say for 90 days. You go to the boarder with your valid South American ID, They do a quick Interpol check on you, if you have nothing on your record they stamp your temporary work visa and you are admitted immediately into America. During that time you should have some time if you choose so to try for permanent legal status. If however you are found after that time to be in this country on an expired work visa you need to be deported back to your home country never to be able to return.

If someone is found crossing the boarder illegally the boarder patrol should have standing shoot to kill orders and the person that is fragged should be left to rot on the spot where they are killed as a warning to the others.

Illegal aliens should not have the right to work, rent or buy a home, claim benefits, use hospitals or any other services or benefits that someone that has come to this country legally deserves. You should not be able to buy a car, you should not be able to get a drivers license.

Companies that higher illegal immigrants if found doing so should have their business license revoked permanently, and fined the amount that it costs to deport every illegal immigrant that they employed. Harsh? You betcha but it is too hard for an American to get a job anywhere because of the mass of illegal immigrants that have flooded this great nation.

I have no problem with someone coming to this country legaly in order to work for their family, in fact I applaud them for their determination and drive. These people that come to our country legally, jump through all the hoops in order to get their resident alien status deserve respect and are what make this country the great melting pot. What messes it up for them and us is the ones that circumvent the laws of this land in order to tax an ever increasingly difficult job market.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Wow allot of you just come up with any excuse to cover your bigotry.

We call them illegals, but we don't really keep them out of our country as long as they pick the tomatoes, mow the lawn, do the laundry, drop some good dope off & go back home so we can pretend we're better.

When too many of them decide they like it better here, all of a sudden we start whining about them. They must think what a bunch of backstabbing racist hillbillies.

I'm tired of this I'm better than thou attitude and the LAW is behind me and they are all criminals. You and attitudes like this town are so full of it.

Just tell me - if you were a good man and you were born in their shoes and you saw an opportunity to walk across the border and make ten times as much money for your family, so your kids can have a better chance than you did what the hell would you do? Don't tell me well I'm a law abiding citizen and I would just lay down, wait for proper papers and take the crappy world as it was given too me blah blah blah. I would say you're a really weak pathetic punk - then.

If you're so bent on sending illegals back to where they came from how about all of us whities go back to Europe and send the Negroes back to Africa, so we can give America back to those we slaughtered, rounded up and stole this piece of ground from in the first place, the American Indians? Not to forget we stole a big part of Mexico as well, and now we have Americans in old Mexico complaining that they have to live with Mexicans. Absolutely pathetic! Ever consider that what we did was illegal and that we are criminals for what we did? Well maybe not illegal, since we wrote the laws and thus we don't label ourselves criminals. I suggest real criminals are those who do Evil deeds, not those who are written as such by man. Good vs. Evil - tell me what side did/do we reside on?

That town is pathetic and so is anyone who supports that towns sad ideas. I suggest they are the real criminals here.

Somehow you/they believe we are better than them(illegals) and since we have everything setup the way we like it, the hell with others who don't have it so good just because they were born on the other side of a stupid fence.

Yes, my only common ground with you is that we need to close the borders to keep terrorist out, when we decide to do that the migration of illegals will slow down & they will integrate into our communities without so many problems. Quit being bigots and blaming them for their circumstances that brought them here that we are just as much responsible for.

I grew up with bigotry all around me and even I was illiterate in that respect in the early years of my life. When I go back (or read here) and hear those who talk that way it really makes me sick and I feel more sorry for bigots for their lack of empathy & ignorance.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join