It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will it ever be possible for a regular joe, not an elitist puppet, to become president?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As the thread title asks can it happen? I don't think so. Even if, by some miracle, there is a massive movement in America to nominate and elect a president that is a true representative of the people and a regular layman; I believe they'll be subverted or assimilated or assassinated. For that matter, has it ever happened? Some people say Kennedy was the last great President, what do you think? On the subject of a regular layman, or woman for that matter, I'm not suggesting the election of an uneducated or unqualified individual. Just one that is not tainted, or has it's soul entangled by the elitists tentacles. I am looking forward to your opinions. elitist

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't think it's possible, as a matter of perception. Even if an individual like you describe were to make it, people would still say they are an elitist puppet. Hell, there could be someone up there right now (and no, I don't mean the boring and unelectable like Paul or Kucinich), but they have the label slapped on them.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice though to have someone exciting, or revolutionary, to run and be taken seriously? To have enough support to be considered legitimate? I think Paul and Kucinich are the closest we've had in years and it's exciting. I'm excited about Ron Paul and you know what the worst part of it is? It's for the first time in my life. There is just a dearth of growth, fresh ideas, excitement, true thought...Regardless, does anyone think Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich really have a chance at being elected? And if so would they ever come close to achieving the action promised during their campaigns.

Another thing I'd like to ask the knowledgeable posters on ATS, what exactly are the qualifications for running and being the President? Can just anybody run? I'm curious. I've thought about attempting to make a bid someday. Currently I'm too young, though I just look at that as an advantage, giving me more time to begin my very grassroots campaign.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You'd no doubt need to have a solid background in politics, and any credentials or awards, such as being in the army e.t.c.. I imagine, would give an advantage. Either way, go for it! It'd be nice for America to have someone decent running the country for a change.

And yes, I do think Kennedy was the best president they had so far.. hence.. getting assasinated.

Good luck with your efforts!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Doubtful. There is too much money involved. Too much power, to let some little guy get in the way. Sucks...

I was thinking about it the other day, and how in some ways if instead of one President, if we had 7 'drafted' Presidents from all walks of life. The balance of power among them would prevent crap like Bush's signing statements, and the 'drafting' part would accomplish a sort of 'jury of our peers'. Maybe 7 is too many, and we just need to draft Pres and VP... I don't know. Just an idea.

DocMoreau

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

I think a council of seven leaders, randomly selected from a pool of people, nominated and vetted by the general public, would be much better than putting it all in the hands of one person.

I also think it would help focus their mind if they were informed that, in the event of their wanting to declare war on another country, they would be strapped to the front of the first tank to enter the battlefield. After all, if you think that going to war is so vital and necessary, I'm sure you wouldn't mind.

new topics

top topics

join