It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheaper Electric cars ahead? Tata teams up with Chrysler

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Cheaper Electric cars ahead? Tata teams up with Chrysler

www.reuters.com

MUMBAI (Reuters) - Tata Motors Ltd, India's top vehicle maker, has signed a development contract with Chrysler LLC for electric vehicles, the Business Line paper said on Wednesday, citing unnamed industry sources.

The deal, with the U.S. carmaker's Global Electric Motorcars unit, is for an electric version of Tata's mini truck Ace that would be sold in the United States, the paper said.

"The battery-operated vehicle has passed required safety and reliability tests, and the prototype is ready for production," it said, adding they will be exported as completely built units.

Tata Motors will begin exporting around 10,000 units by year-end, and ramp up to 50,000 units, it said.

"We are indeed exploring the feasibility of a vehicle on the Ace platform with an electric engine suitable for the U.S., in collaboration with a U.S. company," a spokesman for Tata Motors told Reuters.

"But it is premature at this stage to give any details."

Tata Motors, which launched a passenger variant of its best-selling Ace last year, is working with foreign collaborators on biodiesel and electric traction technology, and is in talks for hybrid engines and fuel cells.

Tata Motors recently unveiled the Nano, an ultra cheap car priced at just over $2,500, and is the front-runner for Ford Motor Co's Jaguar and Land Rover luxury brands.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hmm, perhaps this will get the costs of the electric car market to become more affordable in the future? These guys are making cares for $2,500 that get 50 miles to the gallon.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If a US automaker made a car that got 50mpg they would want $20,000 or more for it. The US auto companies ,Ford,GMC ,Chrysler all are greedy scumbags.

I remember when AC/ FM radio was an option /extra , so you had to order your car the way you wanted it.

What ever happened to just a Basic model car? No power windows or power seats. No AC or CD player. Cars actually used to have metal dashboards that didnt crack or fade in color after a few years.

The actual quality of the automobile has decreased .

$30,000 now for a crappy car that is mainly made of plastic and MADE IN CHINA or TAWAIN is on almost every part and in 4-5yrs it may be worth $2,500 on a trade in.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Foremost, it's about the POWER!

If a $2,500 vehicle can't take you from zero to sixty in "x" seconds, TaTa will turn to CaCa in no time flat!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I dont care how slow it is, the car is $2,500. I will buy one for sure, and if I wreck it, I will jsut go buy another one.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent Styx
I dont care how slow it is, the car is $2,500. I will buy one for sure, and if I wreck it, I will jsut go buy another one.

Careful now, you might get all the Environmentalists in a hissy fit.
If everyone starts thinking like you it won't be long before landfills and junkyards start getting full of TaTa's.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Tata motors could cut down the cost a sizeable bit more

If they used plywood bodies instead of plastic or composits !

Whats wrong with a sub-culture or cottage industry of individuals
starting their own businesses focusing on Tata repairs ---->

using bamboo based plywood
instead of the existing major factory produced 'extruded' or 'heat-molded' exotic plastics ...
for the auto-body panels which get damaged or whatever ???

probably not...as they are focused on keeping & maintaining a broad
monopoly of sorts on their product...
that's the difference between the current business mindset
and the soon to blossom 21st century models of an integrated
social-business-ecological way-of-thinking

? have any of those think tank people even thought about it ??

[edit on 23-1-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I retired from the American automitive business and all I can say is lawyers. metal dashboards hurt people. 20% of the auto cost is liability. That 2500$ ride would never pass US safety standards and it's all the fault of people who think they have to sue for every little chipped finger nail.

mikell

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think I know where you are going with this and you make a valid point but if these sub cultured bamboo mobiles turn out to be sub standard and still allowed to share the roads with American vehicles, it wont be long before a TaTa goes head on with an SUV or 18 wheeler.
I'm sure you would agree that people would be more inclined to pursue Legal action against a huge, greedy US auto maker than they would a sub culture and cottage industry
With change comes irony so people should be careful what they wish for.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
TaTa will turn to CaCa

LMAO!!!

On a serious note, I just wonder if perhaps some sort of medium can be reached. Higher safety standards and maybe a vehicle under 10k?

new topics

top topics

join