It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global recession, global war question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Currently the world is facing the possibility of a global recession. If things get worse and continue the downward slide, it would definitely happen.

I know that in the past, wars have been started to spur national economies. Now my question is, could a global recession lead to a global war?

Now, I ask this because the US has used war to spend their way out of a recession. However, right now war is a major contributor to the US economic woes. So, if other nations instigate conflicts to end their recession, dragging the US in as well, wouldn't that potentially overextend the US to a point of collapse? Or do standard economic rules get thrown out the window in a case of a world war?

I was just thinking about this yesterday, so keep in mind there is not much research put into this. Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The way I see it, the US military is already taxed to the point that they are having to send troops back to Iraq before they are fully recovered from injuries sustained from their last tour in Iraq.

The US doesn't have the people necessary to fight anything more than what they're already involved in with Iraq. If they were to spark a world war, they would have to start the draft.

The US people will already know the war is a financial one. The information age is here, and people are becoming increasingly aware of the inner workings of the world around them.

Expect to see quite the number of draft dodgers... of those who do go to war, I doubt their morale would be high enough to take on the type of idealism we are seeing emerging around the world.

I can't see the US gaining much ground in a world war. Their military hardware, while expensive, is not the force they make it out to be, we've seen that already in Iraq... and in the face of another war machine, I can't see the US standing for very long.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I agree. I don't think the US can afford another war. I just wonder what the implications would be if the US was drawn into another one against their will? Could it even be done? It would certainly require a draft. It would have to be a WWIII type of situation where everything else goes out the window. Rationing...draft..etc.

I just wonder if any other nations end up feeling this economic pinch, might decide to war their way out of a recession and what implications that would have world wide.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

So, if other nations instigate conflicts to end their recession, dragging the US in as well, wouldn't that potentially overextend the US to a point of collapse?

Good questions Kh. I really don't worry about other military-capable nations resorting to war as an economic fix...their economies function more on a system of production, consumption, and surplus. Far more dangerous is a major power that relies on a system of consumption, debt, and deficit...based on a failing, 70 year-old, military-industrial ideology.

Author Chalmers Johnson defines this as; Military Keynesianism - "the mistaken belief that public policies focused on frequent wars, huge expenditures on weapons and munitions, and large standing armies can indefinitely sustain a wealthy capitalist economy."

I apologize for the short response...it's 5:04 in the morning here...another all-nighter & I need to get some sleep. Just wanted to share the CJ missive with you. I hope you find it helpful

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Umm it may 'appear' to be a global recession to some... but in all honesty. Here in Australia we are doing fine... We aren't being touched by the American fall of commerce. The only thing that is starting to hit us, is the petrol (oil product) prices.
As far as I am aware, China, Canada and other self sufficient countries are also unaffected by America's recession.

Just an observation by another countryman.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I'm trying very hard to be rational about the current world geopolitical shift taking place. And it's a shift, make no mistake about it. Paradigm in its complexity.

I can't help but see the U.S. economic meltdown and the evolving global depression as all helping place the pieces to an End Times scenario.

Now, before the naysayers attack me, let me first tell you that I am not a hardcore Revelationist. I see much of the Books of Daniel and Revelation as open to interpretation, and a variety of world events in the past could just have easily harkened End Time scenarios as today.

But there is a key piece that many of my fundamentalist bretheren have been saying for years with Biblical prophecy that now seems to be fitting into place, and I've raised this issue in the past on ATS: Just where is the U.S. in the End Times prophecy?

By most accounts, the final war on Israel, which leads to Armageddon, does not involve America in any shape way or form. So, where is the most powerful (if not waning) nation in the greatest war of all time? That thought frightened me to no end in the past.

But there is a new possibility emerging: We are to be so bankrupt, our economy to sink to the worst depression ever, that our mortally-wounded government will have no choice but to withdraw completely from all world bases, close the borders with extreme protectionism, and stay home to quell domesticated uprisings and wish for better days. Our sudden exit from the world stage will open history's biggest power vacuum, only to be filled by the oil-rich -- and unfortunately aggressive -- nations in the world who will try to vie for top place.

So, why are we not involved in the final war? Because we can't afford it and are probably doing every little bit just to keep the union together.

But that's my two cents, and frankly, it's a hefty dose of imagination over real fact.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by behindthescenes

That is an interesting theory. I appreciate the contribution. It certainly fits what I am thinking with an end times scenario.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I can't see the US gaining much ground in a world war. Their military hardware, while expensive, is not the force they make it out to be, we've seen that already in Iraq... and in the face of another war machine, I can't see the US standing for very long.

What war machine is better than the U.S. if the U.S. is the most superior? Lets say this, if America's military might in tanks, planes, helos, etc. doesn't work, then China's, Russia's, Iran's, etc. don't work either.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think that the recent problems with the global market has put Iraq, Iran and any other war endeavor out of the minds and harts of Americans now scrambling for a give away check to make life better for one day.

No, it will be not wars right now, unless you want another American revolutions sweeping the steeps of the white House looking for a body to hang.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Kind of off topic, but if a WWIII type scenario happened and the oil trade dried up forcing us to tap into our reserves, I would think Russia would be in a much better position of power. We would have to depend on Canada, whereas they would be self sufficient.

I really don't care to find out who would be left standing though.....

new topics

top topics

join