It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Seeks an Air Monitor Crackdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

NYPD Seeks an Air Monitor Crackdown

www.villagevoice.com

Falkenrath pressed on, saying that unless the police can determine who gets to look for nasty stuff floating in the air, the city would be paralyzed by fear.

"There are currently no guidelines regulating the private acquisition of biological, chemical, and radiological detectors," warned Falkenrath, adding that this law was suggested by officials within the Department of Homeland Security. "There are no consistent standards for the type of detectors used, no requirement that they be reported to the police department—or anyone else, for that matter—and no mechanism for coordinating these devices. . . . Our mutual goal is to prevent false alarms . . . by making sure we know where these detectors are located, and that they conform to standards of quality and reliability."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I saw this posted over at STA www.surfingtheapocalypse.net... I havent spotted it here yet. They want to pass sweeping laws that require you to get permission from the NYPD prior to possession of any sort of pollution detector, including bio, industrial, radiological etc... this really really stinks. It's particularly insulting to those first responders struggling with health problems since 911. BTW I seem to recall when they did a radiological census of NYC the Israeli consulate was off the charts. Read the article for more.

www.villagevoice.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
So... let me get this straight... they want me to entrust them to get the facts straight and report it honestly and forthright to the public without delay? Um, didn't we do that after 9/11 and look what it got us?

What's next... a prescription to purchase vitamins? Oh wait, they're trying to do that already! Then maybe they'll require a DNA test to board a bus? Um, sorry I guess they're trying to do that too.

This just REEKS of something bad. Smells like they're getting ready to poison hundreds of thousands of NYers and they don't want them to be aware of it. How stupid do they think we are?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

Wow! Wouldn't want to trust "people" with the ability to analyze something for themselves. After all, imagine the panic and mayhem that having people disagreeing with official government statements could cause.

Quick! We need new regulations and laws to ensure that anyone who trys to use science themselves can be captured and removed from society.

When I was about 10, I built a geiger counter. Most of the parts were donated by nice people I met on the phone while calling around to companies that made different parts I needed. It worked. I guess this new law would mean that anyone who tried to actually use a geiger counter would be breaking the law?

There must be something behind this besides just another way to dumb down the populace. I'm not saying there's an effort to poison people, but I do know that during soviet times, the government would claim "high quality air" when the particulate detectors in your eyes knew they were lying, just another form of control and forced dependence.

Truly shameful behavior to attempt such a thing in the US of A.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Don't you also need a permit to use a camera in NYC? This regulation for air monitoring is insane. I can understand wanting to limit false reports, but this is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo How stupid do they think we are?

Stupid enough, I think.
Kidding...
Jokes aside, I don't think it's about stupidity (is this right?) anymore. I think it's about something else. Everybody knows that THERE ARE people who see between the lines and (sort of) figure out whats going on.
I believe the juice here is power.

Ok, we know we're being set up, so what CAN we do about it? Besides talking and bawbling about it on web foruns... and tell others, and the same o', same o'...

From where I stand, my personal opinion is that Americans seem to be waiting for something to happen, or waiting for a savior to help you all out, maybe waiting for a true and just leader to follow.
News flash: (s)he's not coming, at least not in this life-time. Every single american should BE that leader you're all hoping for.
It's time to pull up you're sleeves (is this a right expression in english?) and start actually doing something.

Now... I don't pretend to KNOW exactly what should be done by the average joe, but I do know that talking is not helping anyone anymore.

The fact is that seems to be a hidden war raging inside the US.
This hidden and silent war between the population and the (insert your favorite label for "rulers" here) has to be retaliated by the people. Unless people want to go quietly into the night.
Retaliation should be done in the most effective way possible, and I would advise to seek those places where we can "hurt" the enemy the most.

What is that THEY fear?
How can we "trouble" them?
(and the best)What will we do that can cause them loss of profit? (because profit seems to always be the goal).

Just my 2 cents.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

What will we do that can cause them loss of profit? (because profit seems to always be the goal).

A nationwide, coordinated consumerism strike. On X day, no one will purchase anything besides the necessities. That will get attention. Make it a week and the media will have absolute fits, probably painting people who don't go out and buy as "terrorists". Do it as the new way to peacefully protest/make a statement, and not only will you not get pepper-sprayed, tasered, or shot with pepper-bullets, but it cannot be ignored by the media because when quarterly reports come out, they will need the excuse.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifestudent
I guess this new law would mean that anyone who tried to actually use a Geiger counter would be breaking the law?

According to the report, even unauthorised possession of a Geiger counter would be considered a misdemeanor. And all this after so many sources in the us govt and media put the kibosh on a dirty bomb threat to nyc (Eg: SCHUMER ANNOUNCES BILL TO COUNTER "DIRTY BOMB" THREAT TO NEW YORK, NATION www.senate.gov...)

I'd say NY Steak is back on the menu.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifestudent

A nationwide, coordinated consumerism strike. On X day, no one will purchase anything besides the necessities. That will get attention. Make it a week and the media will have absolute fits, probably painting people who don't go out and buy as "terrorists". Do it as the new way to peacefully protest/make a statement, and not only will you not get pepper-sprayed, tasered, or shot with pepper-bullets, but it cannot be ignored by the media because when quarterly reports come out, they will need the excuse.

Now we're talking.
A very bright idea.
That event would surely make a fuzz.

So, where do we go from here?

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

IMO, the approach is sound, but the key to making it work is to have at least one successful such event. That will wake people up to the power they already have, but it will also wake up those who would quash that power.

So what is required for one successful event? I believe the following:
1. A cause that enough people can rally behind to make a difference. The cause must have almost universal appeal in the country or at least a significant appeal, such as "no false-pretense war on Iran", or "bring our troops home". The cause should also not be easily warped or spun by the media into a "crackpot" idea or something subversive in and of itself. Finally, the cause should help people understand that by sending a message this way, they will not be "cratering our shared economy" as the media is most likely to claim if it gains any real momentum, but that the reasons for sending a message this way is that peaceful assembly is no longer tolerated or covered by the mainstream and that corporate interests now trump individual rights, by design.

2. A targeted day or set of days that can be planned for, and is ideally during an important shopping time. Something like "honor Mother's of our troops by sending your mom an I love you letter this Mother's day and nothing else". Perhaps the most effective way to succeed would be to target a full week the first time as well in order to ensure that it must be covered. I don't know for sure about the week thing.

3. No dilution of the plan by spreading it around the calendar or throwing in a billion controversial messages/causes. Dilution will be the most likely avenue used by those who would prevent success, and it will come in many ways from many places, primarily from those who would want to render the entire effort ineffective. If a big deal is made of the effort and execution fails, people will be unlikely to try it again. If on the other hand, it is truly successful, it could start a new, healthy way to speak our minds with clout, not to mention save money in the process. Just by posting this, it is quite likely plans will be drafted to avert such an effort from being successful. Once an event is successful, it will be harder to dilute to failure. Once people realize it works, attempts to dilute might even exacerbate the impact of such a protest. At that point, anyone participating in such an event will likely be blamed for the economic ruin that our policies are leading us toward and at a minimum be labeled as "unAmerican" or "communist".

Just some thoughts.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

Alright lifestudent, I just gave you a star for the effort.

Seems we can go somewhere with this.

At least you are thinking, and seeing that light in the end of the tunnel.
How about your fellow country-mates?
Do you think they would share your opinion? Do you think something like this event can actually be carried on?

See people, we need to start doing SOMETHING, because doing NOTHING lead us where we are right now. So, even though we may not get it right the first time we try to end this freak show, we must continue trying.
Unless of course, we don't mind going quietly into the night.

I encourage you, lifestudent, to maybe start a new thread to continue discussing this brave idea you came up with.
And maybe, just maybe, we can gather the right people that can help carry out this "plan".

Peace

new topics

top topics

join