It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans and their False Idols!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
You Americans sometimes....

And you wonder why your nation is going down the drain ?

Heath Ledger dies and you are all oh so sad, and you call him the greatest genius of his generation ?

What crap is that ? almost anyone can be an actor, all you need to do is pretend you are someone your not...

You lift these hands full of people up into stardom and you worship them blindly, because they entertain your lazy couch ridden arses, you watch them do thinks you wish you could be and do, and that makes them "hero's and geniuses in your eyes...

Yet behind the scenes they are rude, drug abusing, child molesting, wife beating, drunk driving coc aine snorting drunks...they are no better than anyone else...

But i guess you americans need that glitter in the eye, good old hollywood, cause i mean, if you didnt have hollywood what would you have ?

push these people up onto their golden pedestals and worship them all you like, and mourn when a drug abuser dies, just because he was a knight who rode a horse, or played some cowbay gay..

good on you

[edit on 23-1-2008 by sethdarke]

[edit on 23-1-2008 by sethdarke]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sethdarke

Dude...Heath Ledger was Australian...

Not entirely sure what your rant is about, really....

Now, Heath Ledger a drug abuser ? That is something I take offense to...There is ZERO evidence of abuse of the prescription drugs he was taking...In fact, it is alleged he had mild pneumonia when he died...This together with "sleeping pills" could easily have caused depressed respiratory activity, and could possibly have caused his death...

How bout you drink a long cool glass of STFU until after the autopsy and show some damn respect, eh ?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Christ, generalize much???
'You Americans' ... What the hell sainted country do you come from?
You seem pretty pissed about something, I do not think it is our country though that is doing it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
So i should quiet down and respect the other hundreds of thousands of unmentioned people dying right now ?? oh sorry,,,no, they aren't made to be perfect multi-millionare famous actors,,,,my bad

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Every death should be mourned and treated with respect, you are the one not doing this...

Get a clue !

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
starred and flagged because

AS AM AMERICAN

I am sick of celebrities getting more news coverage than real news

This will eclipse every topic or real news for the rest of the week.

I remember when celebrity news was covered on it's own seperate 'news gossip' show, like 'Entertainment Tonihgt'

Now, celebrities open the evening news

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
(Pending the autopsy)

And so he joins the legacy that precedes him.
Elvis Presely
Marylin Monroe
Jim Morrison
Ann Nicole

Hollywood overdose deaths. Heath Ledger follows in the footsteps of those before him. Prescription drugs - "I wish I could quit you." It would seem that wealth only magnifies existing problems.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
As a Canadian, I'd like to respond to some of these generalizations.

Originally posted by sethdarke
Yet behind the scenes they are rude, drug abusing, child molesting, wife beating, drunk driving coc aine snorting drunks...they are no better than anyone else...

I'm under the assumption that each of these are not to label Heath Ledger, but more of a representation of all of Hollywood. Correct?

In the last few decades, the media craze that is the paparazzi, and sites like TmZ.com have created an amount of coverage that is enough to gag the toughest of stomachs. Yes, people have an invested interested into the private lives of these celebrities. But because the media glorifies them to iconic status and real life heroes, day to day citizens should not be faulted for this. Americans love their celebrities just as much as any other country.

When big stars get off of a plane, is it any less chaotic in the UK than it is in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Sydney, etc.?

Nah, it's the exact same. People love them, media glorifies them, and the rest of us are forced to endure the repetitive garbage that is fed to us on a daily basis.

To generalize and admonish a full nation is hardly justified.

The death of Heath Ledger impacts me just as much as any other "Joe Schmoe". Not to say that I am impacted, just stating that the loss of any life does impact me.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Art imitates life, or is it life imitates art.

Life is crappy for most people on this planet, why not the odd artist as well. Heath Ledger was a cracking actor and deserves some respect for that, you want to have a pop at the media or hollywood in general, then feel free. I'm sure most of us on here would agree with you, but to attack someone personally, who has just passed is rather low.

I don't know the full story, but it even made the news in Hong Kong.

I feel sorry for the child he left behind.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I agree with your sentiments but you're taking on the issue the wrong way. I don't think anyone's idolizing Heath Ledger. They're mourning his death. And if they liked him as an actor, it certainly makes sense for them to do so. They lost something as well with his death. You may not understand it but people out there are legitimately touched by great performers, whether it's because they relate to the performance they see, or it made them think about life a little bit differently. You shouldn't be downing people for being sad about the death of any man, especially one that may have contributed to their life in some way.

What you should be talking about is the ridiciuolous ness of the papparazzi and the media frenzy over celebrities doing ANYTHING these days. People need to stay out of celebrities personal business. We just shouldn't care about these things, let these people live their lives, we don't need 100 cameramen following britney to a 7-11.

It's insanity. People all over the world need to straighten their priorities. Especially in America.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
As a American, I have no idea who Heath Ledger is or was. I guess an actor. Was he even in any big movies? I like to think I am up-to-date on pop culture, but I never heard of the guy. Which is sad because I visit TMZ.com at least once a day. If I haven't seen him on there, he must have been a nobody.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

You know so little about Americans that you feel free to generalize about us like that? Let's try again shall we? The vast majority of Americans no more worship at the Alter of Hollywood than I do. Heath Ledger? My first thought was who? I've never seen Brokeback Mountain, and its so very likely that I never will that it borders on certainty. I'm hardly alone in that.

Idolizing Hollywood? Not even remotely. Try informing yourself before you go ranting about a people it's obvious you know nothing of.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Are we living in the same America? People here care way too much about celebrities. If they didn't care the paparazzi wouldn't be able to sell their garbage to all of the networks. The Networks wouldn't air the dozens of gossip shows that they do if people didn't care. Autographs and photos wouldn't be sought if people didn't care. Advertisers wouldn't be paying celebrities to do commercials if people didn't care. People care. I don't care, you don't care, but plenty of Americans care. And they need to stop caring.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Oh true enough, but few of the people I associate with live or die by what's happening in the world of Hollywierd. Personally? If tabloid journalism were to disappear today, I wouldn't shed a tear, my life would go on much as it has for 40 plus years. I could easily survive without Hollywood or its attendant hoopla. I'd miss movies, but not the rest of the silliness that goes with it.

We live in the same America, I'm fairly sure, just a different neighborhood I guess.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I agree that people in this country care way too much about celebrities. But you know what I am so sick of all the anti american generalizations I could just frigging spit. Regardless of who he was, he was a 28 year old that died, he has a little girl that will now grow up without a father. I do not like all the garbage that comes out of hollywood, it distracts us from real problems in the world. But how dare you use someones death to push your anti american agenda, get a life and grow the hell up. Rant all you want about what blind sheeply people we are here in america, but dont use someones death as a basis for all that is wrong, that is just disgusting.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As I posted in another thread in relation to a comment made by Seth, this is not about celebrity worship but paying respect to someone utilizing their talent.

The celebrity obsessed culture is disgusting I will agree. Anytime an entertainment coverage program comes on my body feels like I just finished off a 2L bottle of pepsi and a bag of doritos.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Who are the geniuses starring and flagging this thread? Oh, sorry Pavlovsdog.

OP, you've got to be kidding me. Maybe if you did some research, you'd know that a study just came out from Harvard saying that 88% of Americans agree with you about celebrities getting way too much media coverage, so I don't know where you're getting these generalizations from.

And what's the deal? If a celebrity died wherever you're from the media wouldn't cover it? C'mon and wake up. Getting some news about a celebrity dying, a good one at that, doesn't mean America worships them. Hell, this one even came as a shock to me, and I HATE hearing about celebrity gossip, yet I was still interested to see what happened.

Does that mean I worship celebrities or don't care about people dying? Seriously dude, you've got some more thinking to do before posting again.

[edit on 1/23/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I might be the only one who has noticed this, but it seems to me you are just extremely jealous. How do I know this, because you seem to know all the roles the guy portrayed on the silver screen. How is that?

I'm an American, and I have only seen two movies Heath Ledger was in, and they weren't any that you mentioned.

You just seem to be P.O'd that nobody would even notice if you kicked the bucket and took a dirt nap!

[edit on 23-1-2008 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I will agree that our culture is way too celebrity obsessed, not just American culture but Western culture in general. Believe me, I used to frequent British chat rooms and they talk about celebrities equally as much.

However in this particular case of Heath Ledger, is it really so bad to state that his death was tragic? Is it so bad that when one of our favorite actors, musicians, or other notable figures die, we are a little saddened and talk about it with our friends? I don't think so.

I don't think Heath was a drug addict at all. However it is tragic when anyone dies in a drug related death. Drug addicts and so-called "low lifes" are people too and it is sad and tragic when they die because we know that they didn't have to live like that and it's sad that they didn't get a chance to turn it all around.

We also do see quite a bit of all the people dying across seas in wars we may or may not agree with. I am sure there is not one person here who doesn't become at least a little bit saddened when we hear about the children in Africa or the people in Bosnia. But that doesn't mean that we can't take a minute to mourn a celebrities death in the midst of all that is happening in the world.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sethdarke
You Americans sometimes....

And you wonder why your nation is going down the drain ?

Heath Ledger dies and you are all oh so sad, and you call him the greatest genius of his generation ?

What crap is that ? almost anyone can be an actor, all you need to do is pretend you are someone your not...

amen brother, amen amen amen. no disrespect for HL, but I can't believe all the coverage he is getting. It's only because A) he died young, and B) he has a movie coming out soon.

But seriously, this is a perfect example of what is wrong with this country. I wish I could sayit's just the mainstream media.. but it's not. I had people call me up that I havent talked to for ages, just to ask if I knew "Heath Ledger died!!!"

OMG! I don't care!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join