It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hope MIMS don't mind this post here... could be on topic. Okay, what the heck happened. I left for a couple months and it looks like the atheists and the creationists/Christians went to war or something. What'd I miss? SO has put out these new guidelines for posting what and where wrt creation, evolution ID, and religion... everybody is bitchin' and moaning about gangs and what-not. Guess some folks (a bunch?) got themselves banned.

Sheesh kids, can't we all just get along. What happened?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
Indeed, tbh again, I wasn't really referring to you, I think you are more the little lamb who has lost her way

I know exactly who you were referring to but was keeping his name out of this thread since he has never even replied to this thread. Regardless, He is one person. I am one person. His actions. My actions. Totally separate. You said 'protesting' and admit you saw me protesting but said earlier it is obvious those 'protesting' are guilty. It only takes having five IQ points above being an idiot to put two and two together concerning what you were implying.

Still, I am not here to derail this thread and all of you are perfectly entitled to having an atheist chat thread as I have said previously. So, I will be taking my leave. All I ask is that we are not brought up in this thread or if you do (which is fine by me- I do not care really), at least substantiate your claims and we can discuss it together. That is all I ask.

Look! Someone said jesus doesn't exist in CIR, go get 'em!

Oh! Where!? Where!? Let me at 'em! Let me at 'em! I am looking forward to some easy ownage. If they put my name in a thread title, total bonus points of ecstasy on my end.

Ok, seriously. Someone just said dinosaur bones were placed in the strata by Bee-el-ze-bub on the O&C forum. Go get 'em for me, Tiger!

[edit on 6/11/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
Sheesh kids, can't we all just get along. What happened?

Let's hope so. I harbor no ill will towards anyone here. I just dislike being falsely accused or seeing members bashed in a thread where they have not even been participating.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
Hope MIMS don't mind this post here... could be on topic. Okay, what the heck happened. I left for a couple months and it looks like the atheists and the creationists/Christians went to war or something.

I made my own opinions pretty clear earlier, and I stand by them.

They can deny it, but some have clearly been acting to disrupt discussion, targetting users etc etc, essentially, as you put it, fostering a quite personal forum 'war'.

In the name of jeebus, of course. It's just what the forum needed...

...not. Heh.

How I long for those halcyon days of discussions between mattison, yourself, nygdan and others. But i still haven't forgiven you for the 'shortbus' comment, R...lol.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I know exactly who you were referring to but was keeping his name out of this thread since he has never even replied to this thread. Regardless, He is one person. I am one person. His actions. My actions. Totally separate. You said 'protesting' and admit you saw me protesting but said earlier it is obvious those 'protesting' are guilty. It only takes having five IQ points above being an idiot to put two and two together concerning what you were implying.

But, of course, you are attempting to read my mind. The denial stuff was more related to comments in astyanax's thread. Obviously you felt it was personal to you. Whilst you and I can have a few digs at each other, I don't really have any negativity towards you. More pity than anything else, tbh. I know, I know...I dislike it myself but I'm a puny human with human feelings, you know.

I'm quite capable of separating users. You know for a fact that many, many people agree with astyanax's general idea in that thread (don't think I've ever seen so many stars). Although I disgree that creationists could 'destroy' ATS - they've been here from day one, so that's unlikely - however, the general agreement was more about the actions of some, and that I do agree with.

Ok, seriously. Someone just said dinosaur bones were placed in the strata by Bee-el-ze-bub on the O&C forum. Go get 'em for me, Tiger!

What? You mean he didn't? Told me otherwise...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Anyway, back on topic, atheism. What's it all about, eh?

I have the pleasure this summer of attending a talk by Dan Dennett. I'm quite chuffed really. Have my copy of 'breaking the spell' for him to sign (if they give me the chance).

I see the book was raised earlier, great book actually. Currently being perused is Pascal Boyer's 'religion explained'. Another highly recommended read. It's already given me a few ideas for research - but too many ideas and not enough bodies to test them out (and probably time in the next year or so). Ouch!

[edit on 11-6-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rren

From my point of view some members who subscribe to faith base system couldn't handle the logical arguments of a few Athiests . As a result we have seen the new measures concerning manners and decorum discussed here . Myself I saw no evidence what so ever that any Atheist members were ganging up on there Christian counterparts . Thats all I am going to say on the boards about this matter I am going to keep the rest of my views to myself .

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Survey on Atheist and Agnostic Life Attitudes

Hi, guys. richardawkins.net is asking members and visitors to take an online survey connected with research being conducted by the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs on, I think, atheist and agnostic life attitudes.

Here's the link to the page about the survey and how to participate.

It's an interesting survey, lots of eye-opening questions. I've taken it. Maybe some of you would like to as well. Check it out.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Thanks Astyanax.. I'll look into it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

i just finished the survey, thanks for the heads up, asty

i was just wondering, since it recently happened to me, have any of the atheist/agnostic members here been dragged to or ended up in a religious service due to either the intent of others or circumstance since becoming an atheist/agnostic?

i have recently been attending catholic mass because i like to spend time with my girlfriend on saturdays. she's currently undecided on what she is, somewhere between deistic, agnostic, and catholic, but she's forced to go to church by her parents, and i often end up there by circumstance and i find it dreadfully boring and slightly annoying...though at times it's worse.

most recently i was attending a mass on the island of gozo, which, for those who don't know anything about maltese culture or geography, is the second largest island in malta and is known for being quite a bit more traditional. the mass was in maltese, which i don't have a proper grasp of, but i had more than enough of a grasp to understand the sermon.

the sermon pissed both myself and my girlfriend off...to put it politely.
though i normally have to resist the urge to raise my hand and ask if i can ask a question, this time i had to hold myself back from just yelling out an objection. the sermon was on how relativism is evil and how the only moral way to live is through blind faith, ie: if the church says the sky is poop-colored, it's poop-colored.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

From an atheists point of view it is christianity that has caused it's own decline because of the insufficient action of christians living according to the most basic of laws; be good to your neighbor, and simply live a good life, because that it is what is most logical, which logic dictates love and peace. There are more atheists in the world living according to the law than there are christians... This is not the "antichrist" that is currently tearing down the churches, accept the antichrist that lives inside the human...

Do you imagine the churches shut down because they are actually doing good? What if this forced people out into the world to actually live a righteous life? To figure things out, that by their own actions this world is created. And it takes good action to make a good world? If this were the case, then you go antichrist... i am sure the messiah would be thankful for your help in preparing the people so they may be pliable for learning during the 1,000 years of peace.

The only thing that is of deep concern for Atheism is that it believes in no life after this one. It believes in eternal death. That is where it gets sketchy. Everything else can be overcome with belief that each person is eternal; Even hell can be overcome.

The most important question is are you Atheist or Agnostic, because an Agnostic is still undecided of eternal life, where an atheist is absolute in it's belief of eternal death.

Christians, true christians can acknowledge the world has been created in it's tyranny because of distorted and twisted interpretation of scripture. True christians can concede to the rightness of Atheist belief in such. The Question is, is Atheism capable of helping to create the world they speak of through what they state as the way of creating peace, through self choice and understanding how peace is obtained; meeting in the middle. Christians love and care about Atheists. Atheists love and care for Christians. We do so in different ways. If christians are capable of such, meeting in the middle for the betterment of all, could atheists give eternal life a chance in recognition of others love for them, there by having harmony created between the two and the beginning of working together?

love always

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Aye, done.

Bit of an issue that I recognise many of the questionnaires, heh. But I always answer honestly enough.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I have never been dragged or somehow ended up at a religious service against my will . If someone asked me to go to a religious service I would politely decline. If the person in question failed to get the message my tone of voice and language would progress as needed . I think that it is fair to say in my case that being an Atheist has less influence upon my life then religion does for those who subscribe to a faith based system .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

eh, i'm just going to make sure i don't cause any waves with my girlfriend's family.
i don't mind, especially since they're very nice to me and never give me the whole "you should really think about jesus" speech.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Hmm I have a question .
What exactly is the difference going to church and getting a lecture about Jesus ?
I understand that you don't want to create trouble with your girlfriend family but it looks like a slippery slope from where I am standing .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I've done the survey now as well, thanks for linking it.

Looking forward to seeing the results on this one.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I filled it out.. some of the questions were a little confronting/difficult so I'll be very interested in what the results will be.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I thought that I would take this thread in a differnt direction for a moment .

The title comes from the Book of Proverbs, 9:1: "Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars" (KJV). Prior to the First World War, Lawrence had begun work on a scholarly book about seven great cities of the Arab world, to be titled Seven Pillars of Wisdom. When war broke out it was still incomplete and Lawrence stated that he ultimately destroyed the manuscript

Source

OK for those who have actually read the Bible dose the Seven Pillars of Wisdom actually refer to Seven city's that might have existed in the Arab world or is it just another one of Lawrence interpretation's of whatever the context is ?

Thanks in advance for any replies .

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Wow I cant believe there are real atheists here? I am amazed. well not for long - nobodies an atheist when they die - you meet God and too late. You might as well get used to be persecuted now. Cause you know you are going to all burn in Hell for all of ternity right?
Hope its worth it for whatever sin you love so much.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Reverend SamuelTophatJack

You are entitled to believe in fairy tales but this isnt the thread to be making such statements. There are plenty of other threads where you can make such statements and debate its merit . Besides if you are so into Christianity you can answer the question I asked above .

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join