It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
are any of us still left here?

seriously, i'm hardly on anymore because of the illogical arguments, outright lies, and massive amounts of slander that are spewed on this board, O&C and CiR

is anyone left?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Yep I am still around I don't post on BTS as I am mostly a political animal .

This is a little old but in case you didn't see it some one has helped to debunk the idea that there are no atheists in fox holes .

It eventually came out in Iraq in 2007, when he was in a firefight. Hall was a gunner on a Humvee, which took several bullets in its protective shield. Afterward, his commander asked whether he believed in God, Hall said.

"I said, 'No, but I believe in Plexiglas,' " Hall said. "I've never believed I was going to a happy place. You get one life. When I die, I'm worm food."

The issue came to a head when, according to Hall, a superior officer, Maj. Freddy J. Welborn, threatened to bring charges against him for trying to hold a meeting of atheists in Iraq. Welborn has denied Hall's allegations

Source

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

yeah, i think that was posted in MM's old "anti-atheist conspiracy" thread

unfortunately, it seems like most of the good ol' atheists have moved away from the areas where a/theism is discussed...

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Well the majority of the main contributors to this thread have been banned which certainly raised an eyebrow but that is as far as I will take that line thinking . Technically since Atheists don't make up a religion these types of discussions don't really have any true place on the boards .

IMO at least another for the lack of discussion is that there is only so much an Atheist or rather myself has to say about my beliefs . Unless religious who debate the dime to a dozen variety's of there belief system an Atheist is well just an Atheist .

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

seriously, i'm hardly on anymore because of the illogical arguments, outright lies, and massive amounts of slander that are spewed on this board, O&C and CiR

is anyone left?

There seems to be a large amount of lunatics and wilfully delusional people on this forum. I’m guessing many atheists just got sick of trying to discuss matters rationally with a brick wall that just spouts the same things over and over.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I'm still here, MiMS, but I must say I have lost interest in arguing with the God squad.

However, your post has inspired me to make a prediction. Creationists will destroy AboveTopSecret.

Your comments (on that thread or this, or both) would be very welcome indeed.

SR

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

is anyone left?

Yo man been along time seems that ATS got alot more popular.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Astyanax those who follow my postings on the board will know that I don't belittle members or ideas and that some of my ideas are evolving(SP?) over time . However I can safety say without any intend to cause offensive to anyone that Creationism is one of the most half baked truck loads of BS that I have ever read on the boards along with a few other ideas . That is really the only thoughts I have in relation to the thread you posted a link to above .

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
wow, there are others of us on here.

i've decided that i'm no longer going to get into meaningless discussions, especially over stuff that i've already covered.

*sigh*

creationists really are going to destroy this place.

*pours a bit of his drink to the fallen/banned homies*

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

*pours a bit of his drink to the fallen/banned homies*

I second that libation.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hi guys!
I just have a comment about this...

Originally posted by Astyanax
I have lost interest in arguing with the God squad.

That's the only viable option I see. The more you argue with someone, the more power they have. I know that sounds trite, and I should listen to my own advice sometimes, but "going up against them" is not going to work.

The only option is to ignore.

And I'll comment here on your idea that Creationists are going to ruin ATS or whatever. The only way they can do that is if people give them permission to. You guys know how strong the beliefs of the faithful are. Have you ever once in your life (without hours and hours or deep discussion and debate) shown a deeply religious person the error of their ways? And if you have, why put so much effort into it? They're talking fantasy land. Who cares? Who cares if they praise the Lord and pass the peanuts in every thread? Ignore it. Keep the thread on topic as much as possible and carry on.

I hate it as much as the next atheist LOL but I realize the futility of asking others to keep religion out of it.

Just my opinion... :w:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
To avert the Apocalypse

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well said, ma'am. I agree entirely with what you say.

The thing is, though, one isn't arguing to try to change the beliefs of the faithful.

The believers - some of them, anyway, and we know just who they are -- are on ATS with a programme. They came here to open a new front in the creationist culture wars, and they have succeeded. They have co-opted ATS as a medium for spreading their propaganda and vilifying their opponents.

Well, I don't feel they should be allowed to have things all their own way.

There are impressionable young people on this site. For their sake - and ultimately, as you will see if you read on, for all our sakes - I feel impelled to speak for the other side, the side of truth and rationality. I want to show these young folk that there are other options, and a wider world, beyond the religious/creationist orthodoxy suffocating so much of America. The Nighthawk explains it rather well in his or her posts on The Thread You Will Not Read.

Why do I bother? This is an American issue, and I'm not American. Well, given the huge weight of America's political, economic and cultural influence, the rise of religious fanaticism and intolerance in your country constitutes a grave danger to the rest of the world. If America falls to these people, I fear that all of us will be consumed in a vast, worldwide religious conflagration.

And don't forget, these people actually want that to happen. They regard it as their long-awaited Armageddon, a precondition for the return of their Lord and the establishment of his Kingdom. The yearn for it. They actively strive to bring it about.

Who cares about converting the believers? Not I. I am merely doing what I can to avert the Apocalypse.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Why do I bother? This is an American issue, and I'm not American. Well, given the huge weight of America's political, economic and cultural influence, the rise of religious fanaticism and intolerance in your country constitutes a grave danger to the rest of the world. If America falls to these people, I fear that all of us will be consumed in a vast, worldwide religious conflagration.

The creationism ID ignorance hit aussie science class rooms as well. Scientific fact is not open to interpritation but the fact that some are saying it is means research and results will be tainted by political and religious agendas.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

well said

*gives a way above sticker*

being a maltese-american currently living in malta, i actually see the issues of america as being more important than i thought they were.

the country i grew up in is deteriorating and i honestly didn't see it as much when i was there due to the crowd i kept with...though i was in missouri, not a days drive from pastor becky...i thought the problem was only among the highly uneducated, but now i understand things more clearly

i've also witnessed the true influence america has on other nations first hand. malta is a very small nation, we're quite literally not on some maps, but america has a massive influence here. i truly second asy's opinion that anyone in the world should be concerned with the rise of religious fundamentalism in the world's most powerful nation.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Well, I don't feel they should be allowed to have things all their own way.

I don't feel that they do have things all their own way. Believe me, if they had things their own way, this thread wouldn't exist and you and I wouldn't be talking about the spaghetti monster, the farce of religion and the absolute fantasy of religious belief. If they had their own way, most of them would shut down atheist discussions right now.

There are impressionable young people on this site. For their sake - and ultimately, as you will see if you read on, for all our sakes - I feel impelled to speak for the other side, the side of truth and rationality.

And you do! You have every opportunity to speak to them and for your truth.

I want to show these young folk that there are other options, and a wider world, beyond the religious/creationist orthodoxy suffocating so much of America.

And you can! You do! Fortunately, nothing is stopping you. I commend you for wanting to show the other side of things.

The Nighthawk explains it rather well in his or her posts on The Thread You Will Not Read.

I haven't read the whole thread. But I read the introductory posts and I will go look up Nighthawk's posts. Any in particular?

America has been in the hands of these people for many years. And I agree it's a danger to us and the rest of the world. And they are a powerful bunch! Insanity mixed with power... It's pretty scary. And I know they want it to happen and that they will bring on their precious Armageddon.

Who cares about converting the believers? Not I. I am merely doing what I can to avert the Apocalypse.

I wish you good luck. You cannot (IMO) avert the Apocalypse without either converting the believers or getting them out of POWER. But our country is more secular than it has been in the past. We need to get the power away from the religious freaks (like Cheney and company) who have a jones for the Apocalypse and get it back in the hands of rational thinkers. I don't care if people have their religion, but the country shouldn't be going to war because God said so.

In my opinion, the best thing for this country is to get people with a rational minds in the top offices of this country. And I'm doing all I can to do that.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I haven't read the whole thread. But I read the introductory posts and I will go look up Nighthawk's posts. Any in particular?

This one, BH. As you can see, it's raked in even more stars than the OP.

By the way, the thread has now been moved to what the initiator of the move, dbates, considers 'a more appropriate forum': Faith, Spirituality & Theology, or as I prefer to call it, the Mumbo, Jumbo & Gumbo forum.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Looks as though the PTBs have heard your voice.
Right?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hopefully they have, BH.

I've had better stuff to do recently, but I've been popping in now and again.

The intellectually dishonesty and total slanderous behaviour of some has finally been noted. And for all their claims of innocence, it was friggin obvious what they were up to. Even going as far as pilfering through past posts of members like bin-digging private dics to very personal and targetted attacks on forum member's sexuality.

Time will tell whether this is just peeing in the wind. I still have some concerns, but hopefully the forum will get better, or at least get back to what it was.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Hello, Mel. You seem slightly perturbed at my post banned being lifted. But that is not what is important right now. However, I do have some issues with what you are saying now:

The intellectually dishonesty and total slanderous behaviour of some has finally been noted. And for all their claims of innocence, it was friggin obvious what they were up to. Even going as far as pilfering through past posts of members like bin-digging private dics to very personal and targetted attacks on forum member's sexuality.

Out of all the post banned members, I was pretty much the only one who vocally protested my innocence against the tag team accusations. So that leaves me to assume you are referring to me. Yet you then switch over to the actions of someone else apparently because I have never made an attack on anyone's sexuality or 'bin-digging' [whatever that even means].

So I must say it appears you are being very dishonest at the moment and are guilty of slander yourself by making accusations you cannot substantiate. I have never been guilty of tag teaming simply because I have made friends with other ATS members and will continue to defend myself against false accusations.

Side Note: Before anyone screams about me being off topic, it would highly behoove you to stop alluding to me or other Christians in this thread if you do not desire our participation in this thread. This thread is Atheist Chat. Not Let's bash the hell out of Christian members on ATS and make up false accusation but then tell them to stay out of the thread when they come to defend themselves.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Hello, Mel. You seem slightly perturbed at my post banned being lifted. But that is not what is important right now. However, I do have some issues with what you are saying now:

TBH, I only knew about that when you posted in the board info thread, but I guess you think you are special enough to perturb me in such a way.

Indeed, tbh again, I wasn't really referring to you, I think you are more the little lamb who has lost her way

I can still remember my first ever discussion with you, and it was about pyramids and evidence for the flood, it was a nice honest discussion which did show me how little you understood about such things. I still have a bit of a soft spot for you, you can be as intellectually honest as anyone here. But your pride is your downfall.

As for the rest, I don't particularly care. That's my opinion based on past events and experience.

Now go forth and spread your faith to the weak-minded.

Look! Someone said jesus didn't exist in CIR, go get 'em!

[edit on 11-6-2008 by melatonin]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join