It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
something new

apparently it's dangerous for children to know atheism exists

Outspoken atheist Rob Sherman, who (with his daughter) filed a lawsuit that eventually put a stop to the Mandatory Moment of Silence, was back in the Illinois General Assembly on Wednesday.

He was there arguing Governor Rod Blagojevich’s $1,000,000 grant to the Pilgrim Baptist Church — which was given to them via the more secular Loop Lab School. (Shadiness all around.)

Anyway, he got into an exchange with Rep. Monique Davis (D-Chicago).

Davis: I don’t know what you have against God, but some of us don’t have much against him. We look forward to him and his blessings. And it’s really a tragedy — it’s tragic — when a person who is engaged in anything related to God, they want to fight. They want to fight prayer in school.

I don’t see you (Sherman) fighting guns in school. You know?

I’m trying to understand the philosophy that you want to spread in the state of Illinois. This is the Land of Lincoln. This is the Land of Lincoln where people believe in God, where people believe in protecting their children.… What you have to spew and spread is extremely dangerous, it’s dangerous–

Sherman: What’s dangerous, ma’am?

Davis: It’s dangerous to the progression of this state. And it’s dangerous for our children to even know that your philosophy exists! Now you will go to court to fight kids to have the opportunity to be quiet for a minute. But damn if you’ll go to [court] to fight for them to keep guns out of their hands. I am fed up! Get out of that seat!

Sherman: Thank you for sharing your perspective with me, and I’m sure that if this matter does go to court—

Davis: You have no right to be here! We believe in something. You believe in destroying! You believe in destroying what this state was built upon.

i had posted this here but apparently nobody is paying attention to that thread. which is odd, considering it's a conspiracy that we can actually prove is there

one more thing, i was looking back at the old Atheist Chat thread and wanted to revisit the initial question: does the conditioning from your time as a religious person ever crop back up?

i ask because i recently attended a catholic mass (was being polite to my girlfriend's parents and didn't want to cause any conflict) and i realized that, had it been in english, i would have still had all the prayers down by heart (it was in maltese, which i should speak but don't)

[edit on 4/5/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
God is Not Great

I've just finished reading God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens. I'm sure most of you will have heard about this book.

It was a great read. Hitchens is a top-drawer journalist and a magnificent writer -- practically every sentence begs to be quoted. His towering and quite magnificent anger at the evils of religion is perfectly matched by his erudition and humour. Overall, it feels like a book written in the grip of strong emotions, and the thread of his argument is occasionally obscured by this, but really, that's a quibble.

For other participants in the faith vs. reason debate, this book doesn't simply offer ammunition -- it delivers megatonnage. The equivalent to a nuclear arsenal.

It's very different from Dawkins' The God Delusion, which is just as good. Reading that book, you feel calm, collected and comfortable. The light of reason shining in through the study window as the kindly professor leads you through a personal tutorial to the accompaniment of Lapsang Suchong and lightly buttered scones. All very civilized. With Hitchens, you're half-bullied, half-charmed into joining the writer on a whisky-fuelled rampage through history and geography, hacking away at godly wickedness and hypocrisy with the Battleaxe of Truth. Invigorating stuff.

If you haven't already: read this book. It's unputdownable.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

thanks for the contribution

i've had it on my shelf for a while, have been meaning to get around to reading it...but there's just been so much for me to read that i've skipped over it

...did i just see some tumbleweed go by?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The Atheist's Bookshelf

Okay, how about stocking up the Atheist's Bookshelf, then?

I'll go first: Thus Spake Zarathustra by Frederick Nietzsche.

In which the author famously proclaims the death of God and asserts that the purpose of man is to transcend himself and bring about the superman through the human 'will to power'.

Later (much later) misused and traduced by Adolf Hitler in an attempt to furnish philosophical support for his own power-fantasies, but survived the tarring to continue astonishing and inspiring excitable, philosophically-minded young folk. Having a copy sticking out of your raincoat pocket was de rigeur among a certain kind of brainy, rebellious teenager in the Sixties and Seventies.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

ooo, i have that one. got it at borders for $2 on clearance...

haven't gotten around to reading it

in honor of the late great MM i'll put for The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster by Bobby Henderson
great satire piece.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The Science of Religion

I just started a little thread based on an article about scientific attempts to understand religion -- what it is in evolutionary terms, how it evolved and what it is good for. Some visitors to this thread may find it interesting.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Other visitors to this thread might also find our little chat about origins interesting:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll just add that your insinuations about religion sound really bitter. If you are sickened by the consequences of false religions and by hypocritical adherents to true religion, so am I. Big style.

Here's just a little pointer in the right direction, my friend:

Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...

James ch.1 v.27

Who could argue with that? (And yes, I know atheists can be philanthropic too! The point is that without the above type of attitude, religion just irks people - and I don't blame them.)

Let's have a civil debate back on MIMS' thread I linked to. I know you don't agree with my faith, but there's no harm in trying to understand each others' points of view. Perhaps you won't be inclined to tar all religion with the same brush - as the type of article you mentioned usually does - and perhaps you'll gain my respect with some thought-provoking replies...

MIMS - You've been complaining about 'atheist-thrashing' a lot lately. We may be apparently polarized in terms of view-points, but I for one enjoy a proper, healthy debate, (and I trust you haven't felt anything abusive from me, nor indeed from many other fervent believers - surely it's just a few who have sullied the atmosphere, and they'll probably come round eventually too, mostly). It is tiring for both of us to keep asking for a fair hearing without people resorting to ridicule and trying to belittle each other. Let's make a concerted effort to take each other seriously, and show it in what we say.

Leading by example is surely the most effective antedote.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The Bushes are Christian man...
Illuminati wont alow the Vatican to lose..
The Vatican is Nazi man. The Bushes are Nazi, too..
We should do overthrow on them both...

What other types of Atheists coulds we use?

School teachers.. are down for overthrow?..

Kittens, are down for overthrow?

If we got the kittens what would be our weapons?

Create robots that are controles from 4Chan.??.
("^--- Thats just my new Robot.." "It likes mudkips.")

Invent MK-Ultra, from the sky...?

RAPTURE:

SATAN IS COMETH!!
"It was only the planet Venus that possessed the fivepointed star sign. Not one of the innumerable stars by its orbit form this sign ... LOVE,WISDOM,KNOWLEDGE,POWER,LAW.
"Moreover, the points of the pentagram pointed to five different groups of stars or constellations which were easy to remember; each had a given name ..."
P: E,L(C),D,T,Arrangement,
L: C,C(I),S,S(I),Involuntary,
WISDOM = CULTURE,
K: Edu,Res,Rec,Inf-Trav,Genetics..LOL.
LAW = RESOLUTION

word!

Google Video Link

Satan and Washington go way back. After John Wilkes Booth murdered Abraham Lincoln, printers rushed out images of a horned and clawed devil whispering into Booth's ear at Ford's Theatre.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Here's just a little pointer in the right direction, my friend.

If I ever need a pointer from you, my friend -- or a long-distance pop-psychiatric analysis, for that matter -- be assured that I will ask.

It has been stated many times on this thread that preachers are not welcome. This is Atheist Chat. You may state your opinions about topics under discussion here, contribute to the discussion by all means, but if you preach you will be ignored, and if you hijack the thread by posting off-topic material one or other of us will surely complain. I have no doubt the complaint will be taken seriously.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Satanism is on the topic..man..
It's 'not Christian'..man..Its Athiest!..

The first Satanic group was Created in 1700s, by a man named Charles Lee.

He disliked most people, but made exceptions for fellow soldiers and prostitutes. His closest companions were dogs; he was nearly always surrounded by a pack of ill-trained hounds and his prized Pomeranian. His vanity led him to buy expensive tailored uniforms, but he seldom bothered to have them cleaned. Some of his contemporaries preferred the smell of the dogs to that of Lee himself.

Lee was badly wounded in the attack on Ticonderoga in 1758, but recovered in time to participate in the campaigns at Niagara and Montreal. He returned to England in 1760 before being assigned to Portugal, where he served under John Burgoyne. Like many career soldiers of the era, Lee sought employment in foreign armies during peacetime. He served twice in the Polish army and hoped to parlay that experience into a lucrative appointment from George III. During a face-to-face meeting with the king, who declined to offer the desired command, Lee rebuked the monarch and swore that he would never give the king an opportunity to break another promise.

And he dident..

After moving to america, He became a polititian. and started the Continental Army, and eventually captured the British troops. sending them back to the king, defeated.. Durring his noterioty he was seen as a leader by most of the american patriots,. He lived comfortable in riches for the rest of his life.

IT IS BELIEEVED BY THE SKULLANDBONES AND SATAN>> THAT THIS MAN WAS THE CREATOR OF THE SATANIC CHURCH...

300years had passed..and under the division of Prescott Bush,
The Bohemians wanted to 'outs' Atheism from the Illuminati.
They had liked Satan for over 300 years..
But after 300years,. Everyone forgot, what it meant.....Damn!
Prescott being bohemian (Christian Sect.; follows lucifer as a deity.)
and wanting more people to join HIS own religion, Shat-down
the last of the Satanist groups, in the illuminati.
He underminded most of us, that day!..
When the last of the Good Illuminati Organizations fell.

Anyway!

'The Church of Satan' was an Athiest group back in 1966'.
CO-INTELPRO had slashed that group, inorder to put an end to Atheism..
The Illuminati and the Jews share the same symbols..

Church of Satan Interviews Atheism Peter H. Gilmore.

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
It has been stated many times on this thread that preachers are not welcome. This is Atheist Chat. You may state your opinions about topics under discussion here, contribute to the discussion by all means, but if you preach you will be ignored, and if you hijack the thread by posting off-topic material one or other of us will surely complain.

That is precisely what P4T did. He expressed his disdain for the corruption of religion and religionists (don't atheists share the same sentiments?), provided his honest opinion regarding the comments in this thread (therefore on topic) and pointed out they sounded bitter, brought up the other thread about 'atheist thrashing' in this thread which is about 'atheists,' he provided one verse to support his view concerning how he agreed with many of your views on religion, and waved the white flag of peace for us to all take a chance to better understand each other and to address each other with civility.

No problems here. So what is this thread really about? To bash people of faith but then scream at us once we enter the thread and share our thoughts or debate the issues brought forth? I've been staying out of this little cess pool of a thread and figured it was fair enough for you guys to have your own little corner to discuss atheist issues. However, don't forget about THIS thread while you guys have your bitch fest. Oh yes, I understand the red herring of 'atheist chat' and the attempted guise of it being a place to kick back and share your thoughts among atheists. However, some of the comments throughout this thread expose some people's true intentions.

It's a set up. P4T said nothing that was off topic.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyDand waved the white flag of peace for us to all take a chance to better understand each other and to address each other with civility.

No problems here.

Seriously..?

So what is this thread really about? To bash people of faith but then scream at us once we enter the thread and share our thoughts or debate the issues brought forth? I've been staying out of this little cess pool of a thread and figured it was fair enough for you guys to have your own little corner to discuss atheist issues.

Issues like "people of faith" persecuting atheists.. you know.. things like callling their threads "cess pools". I see nothing has changed here.

Congratulations for showing us WHY this thread is needed.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Seriously..?

Oh, I'm totally serious.

Go back and see what was inflammatory or off topic about P4T's comment. An unbiased person would say 'absolutely nothing.'

Issues like "people of faith" persecuting atheists.. you know.. things like callling their threads "cess pools". I see nothing has changed here.

I stand by my description of 'cess pool' and won't apologize for calling it like I see it. I don't believe it was MIMS's original intention to have this thread become such a thing but that is what other members turned it into.

But your persecution complex does amuse me. It's like a rash that won't go away.

Spare me your one-sided justice crusade. Other members who weren't even participating in this thread were dragged through the mud. I've remained silent so far but I'm not interested in lurking when I see good members being ragged on by bitter atheists with a martyr complex.

If you want to have a gossip fest about other members then take it to U2U and talk amongst yourselves. Otherwise, when you make it public, people like me will jump to their defense.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Persecution complex?

You've decided to now label anyone who's participated in this thread [ie. atheists] as being part of a cess pool. Irrospective of beliefs you need to start showing some respect instead of just engaging in personal insults all the time as it only antagonises people.

EDIT. And HOW DARE you start talking about how I keep 'popping up'. It is NOT your place to start talking about my posting habbits. Obviously I have an interest in this subject [being an atheist and all] so who are you to start calling me a bad rash etc? you should hang your head.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Quit playing your silly victim games with me, Riley. I see right through it. I specifically said this thread has become a cesspool- not a person. Why, I'm only criticizing the 'behavior' and not 'the person.' Sound familiar?

And please take your own advice. Where you were when others were being dragged through the mud in this thread? Probably snickering to yourself.

I'll show respect when people here quit acting like children playing their petty bait games. It's a trap. People of faith- and even a specific member who has not left a single reply to this thread- are being trashed left and right but when someone like myself comes in to defend them or to point out what is really going on, you people act like vampires dowsed with holy water and scream about being off topic.

Most religious members in this thread have been nothing but nice and sincere. Too bad you have a problem when someone jumps in to call 'Shenanigans!' on their behalf.

EDIT to respond to your edit: Oh, I dare. And will continue to dare. Makes sense, huh? Others are basically being told not to 'dare' to respond so it works both ways. You can pop up as much as you like. Not my business. But I reserve the right to pop up too. So does P4T. So does JIT. So does CS. So does anyone else who feels like joining in on this thread- something I was hesitant to do myself until I couldn't take people being under personal attack anymore. Looks like people don't like the taste of their own medicine but I've got a few spoonfuls ready to go.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ok the bickering stops here please,
Please keep to the topic at hand and to the point of the thread,

ATS General Discussion Etiquette - PLEASE READ

Thanks Asala,

[edit on 22-4-2008 by asala]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Thanks, asala.

And now that we've taken care of that little irruption, any more candidates for the Atheist's Bookshelf?

Anyone read Why I am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

nope, not yet. it's another book on my ever expanding shelf...

hmm
anyone read Breaking the Spell by Dennet?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SATANSWINGS

Personally, I'm atheistic about the Illuminati, too. You won't find too many atheists believing in conspiracy theories -- unless they're pretend atheists for whom the conspiracy they believe in is really their religion.

As for Satan, he is another fictitious character from the Bible, just like Yahweh. I really don't see how you can believe in Satan and not in Yahweh.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

The only things I've read by Dennett are short philosophical pieces; I first got into him in the 1980s, reading a book he co-edited called The Mind's I: Reflections on Self and Soul. And that's another for the Atheist's Bookshelf. Its co-editor, by the way, was Douglas Hofstadter.

Dennett, as you're well aware, is highly interested in the phenomena of consciousness and selfhood. One of his classic essays on the subject is written in the form of a science-fiction story: Where Am I?. It's quite long, so I would advise printing it out instead of trying to read it straight off the screen.

Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join