It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
one more thing

mojo has started a quite wonderful thread that i think deserves a plug. check it out

The Greatest Conspiracy Ever Perpetuated: Mojo's Interpretation

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

This is a video by an Atheist for Atheists. Of course I disagree with atheism but he makes some good points.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

...um
...the majority of people are stupid
so atheists wouldn't be an exception

however, i've found that atheists are slightly (and i urge emphasis on that word) more likely to be more open minded.

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
...um

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm guessing he's like the anti-whammy from a parallel universe? Maybe that's why he was attracted to him. Like an electron and a proton. Yin and Yang. etc

Woah! I take that back.

So it's an atheist suggesting that atheists are less stupid than theists. OK. He makes some decent points about organising atheists, the range of opinions, how atheism is just a position on a single philosophical concept, how there is not much to discuss with theists, bar their religions are almost certainly specious - we've been over it again, and again, they absolutely have nothing new.

Not a bad vid. It's true that atheists can be stupid. On a whole, probably less stupid than theists if you want to frame it that way. I have some ex-sig in my profile which talks about emotions and beliefs, and it holds for most people. We have to attempt to get beyond the emotion, and use evidence-based reason rather than wishful-thinking. And in that regard, atheism wins the day.

Whereas some theists have noted that reason is the enemy of faith. Cool.

I have an atheist friend who buys into homeopathy. That's, errrm, not so rational. There's also been lots of studies showing how people can act irrational during decision-making etc, especially when biased by pre-existing emotional attachments. Part of my own studies as well.

Originally posted by Astyanax
Nice. Now there's a question: should those who care deeply for humanity, rationality and science, and who are outspoken in our condemnation of religion because it threatens these things, now draw in their horns in order to avoid a backlash from the faithful that may damage our cause? Or should we just steam ahead with all guns blazing as the enemy falls back before the onslaught?

The backlash is actually likely to work in our favour more than anything else. Theists don't appear to realise that the likes of Harris, Dawkins et al. are reacting to their 'crusades' in society over the last 20 years or so.

A recent poll showed how the more politically interfering forms of fundiegelism is brining negative attitudes their way. They can try to paint atheists as the baddies, but it's just pure projection. In the US, atheists start from a lowly position in the attitudes stake, and what Nisbet is doing is like what people told the race-rights people years ago - be nice, shut up, sit down, and everything will work out.

The 'Expelled' issue is a great example. Someone posted this response from another forum on one I use:

Good god man! Don't worry! They can't make a smart move. Morons lack the ability to temporarily become non-morons. Let them talk. If you get the chance, ask them questions and get them to talk. They can't hide the original defect in their argument. Please, I know there is no reason to listen to me. You don't know me from Adam (pun intended) but I swear to you, coming from a lifetime of professional experience, don't respond with anything that makes sense.

If you get lucky, they will not only say the stupid, they may even DO the stupid, a la Dembski and the Fart noises, regent home #'s allowing Denise on his blog and etc.

If you don't get the chance to ask them questions, don't worry. I promise the movie will be blisteringly stupid. It can't help being so since the premise suffers from the problem.

You can't shine wet, steaming [censored, heh]...

So, they are their own worst enemies. We talk, raise discussion. Let them do what they do best.

Never stop when you're winning.

True.

[edit on 25-3-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
alright, i've brought up topics for discussion on here...does anyone else have anything they'd like to bring before the atheist/agnostic/nonreligious peoples?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well I have been following this thread but I haven't posted in it because I said my piece in the original thread. I regard the notion of the existence of higher powers as the biggest fraud in history and is still operating. That about all there is to it .

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't know if I entirely agree with this. It seems a tad bit harsh on you guys. But since this is "Atheist Chat" in the Faith, Spirituality and Theology section, I thought it should be brought to your attention. Consider it a favor from your buddy Whammy.

Today, I was in a heated debate on MSN Chat about the connection between atheism and crime. Simply by observing atheists in action, one can easily see that atheists tend to be violent sociopaths, but if I hated atheists simply on that fact, I would have been criticized as being "prejudice" and "bigoted." I would have to prove to them that atheism is accountable for all crimes on Earth. I have finally found the connection between atheism and crime.

As everybody knows, people are born not believing in God. Therefore, they are born atheists, which means "no God." Knowing that, common sense suggests that all criminals were originally atheists. That includes the most heinous criminals, such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Tupac Shakur. Criminals who commit religious crimes against Christianity and other proper religions tend to empathize with other anti-Christian atheists (pardon the redundancy). As for criminals who commit crimes against atheists in the name of Christianity, like homophobes, they are simply trying to repress their atheistic/homosexual tendancies, but rather than act Christian about it, they take it to an atheistic extreme.

All criminals have been atheists at one time in their lives? I don't know about you, but if there was ever a reason to outlaw atheism and other non-Christian religions, this is it.

adequacy.org...

PS: kudos on knowing Atheism is a Faith and putting AC on the right board!

[edit on 3/27/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

a tad bit harsh and a whole lot of stupid... like comparing tupac to hitler or stalin

by this same argument, we should outlaw being a baby, because every criminal was a baby at some point in their life...

sorry, please keep this sort of hate speech out of the atheist chat thread, it's not appreciated.

but thanks for bringing the idiocy to our attention, it seems that the world still needs to learn to be tolerant to atheists

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
PS: kudos on knowing Atheism is a Faith and putting AC on the right board!

...it's a lack of faith, there's just no better place to put this thread.
and that comment is a troll.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hitler was a Catholic since the article is incorrect about Hitler lack of faith I wouldn't any stock in what the rest of the article says. As for Atheism being a faith that statement is the height of ignorance enough said.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

If someone posts a trolling post, is that poster a troll?

Simply by observing atheists in action, one can easily see that atheists tend to be violent sociopaths...

Do you agree with this? Evidently you do, otherwise why post it? So tell me, who are you calling a violent sociopath? Madness? Mojo, Melatonin and the other self-proclaimed atheists posting here? Me? Are you calling me a violent sociopath?

If a healthy person said that to my face they'd see some violence, all right. But you're a sick man and you're not physically present in my study. Thus you are spared the kicking you so richly deserve.

Your post is not intended as a contribution to any civilized discussion on this thread. It is provocative and obnoxious. A typical example, in fact, of religiose behaviour.

If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute, get out.

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Doing atheist a favor by preaching your kind of Christian "common sense/logic" to save them from their criminal ways?

They are two different things, common sense/logic and Christian "common sense/logic", because one isn't faith based while the other is.

In Christian "common sense/logic", everyone is a sinner and a criminal to the Christian God, from birth to death. Gays, Atheist and all other religions are criminal, and only christianity can save them.

In non-Christian common sense/logic, no one is a sinner, or a criminal at birth. When a child is old enough to be able to properly reason for him/her self, they are responsible for their actions and are only considered criminal depending on what they did and in whatever society/law that they choose to live by.

When some people become christian, their common sense and logic changes to those of the christian faith, their religion and faith now dictates their lives.

Everyone else is criminal except christians, that is christian "common sense/logic". That is faith, not common sense, not logic.

Does your faith prevent you from seeing this, whammy?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I said

I don't know if I entirely agree with this. It seems a tad bit harsh on you guys.

I ran across it in my research on Dawkins. No its not my opinion. It seemed pretty bad to me, I made you aware of it. Respond to the author of it. I provided the link. I was the messenger only. I will leave you alone to your chatting in peace, never to return.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ixiy

You might not know much about Communism, but in what you had in your post, you have hit that nail on the head. They ban religion and substitute the state and the cult of personality in it's place.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   

one more thing

mojo has started a quite wonderful thread that i think deserves a plug. check it out

The Greatest Conspiracy Ever Perpetuated: Mojo's Interpretation

Thanks mims, much appreciaed.
Also thanks to those of you who have replied in that thread, both atheist and christian who have replied with relevant questions, debate, discussion and repudiation of my OP.

mojo.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
If someone posts a trolling post, is that poster a troll?

Yes. And it's getting boring. They obviously think they are making some grand point, but it only reflects back on them. Anyway, as usual, it just shows that we just need to keep providing the rope.

The attitudes portrayed by the quoted dude are common in the US, the land of 'liberty'.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

ugh, i've seen that so many times, yet it never ceases to make my stomach turn.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i have a thread i'd like to plug:

An Experiment for Brave Christians

it's basically a challenge for a christan to read the god delusion and share her/his thoughts

...yet to have had any takers
...and i've only had 1 on topic reply...

but this is just a way to get to a question for the thread:

i was wondering what religious texts/myths/folk tales any of you have read/heard?
what did you think of them?
any particular thoughts you'd like to share?

one more thing, check out this rant i posted

ATS: Atheist Thrashing Service

[edit on 4/2/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
reply to post by ixiy

You might not know much about Communism, but in what you had in your post, you have hit that nail on the head. They ban religion and substitute the state and the cult of personality in it's place.

They do not ban it.. they place restrictions on it as sometimes religious ideals conflict with that of the government.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by riley]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

a challenge for a christan to read the god delusion and share her/his thoughts

...yet to have had any takers
...and i've only had 1 on topic reply...

Ha! I accepted your challenge. *Throws down glove*

Like I said give me another week or so to finish my current book and I'll start reading your reccomended book.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

i'm soooo surprised that you of all people would accept the challenge [/sarcasm]

seriously, not surprised. you're cool and open minded and always welcome around these parts because you've got something interesting to say.

now take a seat at the bar and we'll grab you a drink

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join