It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
hey fellow Atheists

I am not a closet atheist. I am very open about my dis-beliefs to people who ask
"what religion are you". and they often make that look when i tell them "None....I am an atheist". For me that look is priceless. first they are confused, as if I made a mistake. Then they start to get angry, and either dont talk to me anymore or question me on why I dont believe. Hopefully the latter leads to
a intelligent discussion... but never does.

I dont try and force my dis-beliefs on anyone, I only share if they ask. I wish theist followed this same logic

[edit on 24-2-2008 by 1freelectron]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't curse you for being an atheist, there was a time in my life when I felt the same so if I curse you I curse myself and act in a way contrary to the teachings of Christ. We believe a person has the term of their life to find and accept the salvation provided by Jesus Christ. I pray and know many atheists today will find God and be changed tomorrow. So I won't curse you or think ill of you, I'm on your side.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 1freelectron

well, some of the theists are somewhat tolerant...but others, not so much.

i think part of it has to do with them simply not comprehending how we can not believe in a deity of any sort. they have an easier time understanding how someone could be of a different religion than an atheist.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Dawkins is an idiot clear. Hes not "intelligent". He runs on pride. hes not street smart, hes likeone of those robots that dont give miracles a chance.

Which is totally different from those "robots" that just believe everything that a preacher/priest/parent/etc. tells them to. Right?

Madness, I think that sort of answers your question.

I am not an atheist. I consider myself a very spiritual person, and believe very strongly in God, although my idea of God is pretty different from the view of Him/Her that I was taught growing up (Catholic). I do not really consider myself to belong to any particular religion, and prefer to look at all possibilities when considering spiritual matters.

That being said, so that everyone understands where I am coming from...

I think that a lot of Christians (but not just Christians) are utterly brainwashed to the point where they cannot or will not consider any outside ideas. Atheists come bearing what is pretty much the complete opposite of all Christian (and any other theistic) thinking, and so therefore it must be the trickery of the devil, or something else brought to confuse us.

I think that there are many atheists who would love to see religion just eradicated, but then I also think that there are many atheists who would just like to see more open-mindedness on the part of theists. However, I think that there are a lot of theists who refuse to even engage in a "what if" conversation, and that further attempts to have a conversation that might call their beliefs into question is looked upon as an attack.

I would never attack another person's belief system, whether they are theist, atheist, whatever. I think the conversations give us all something to think about, though. It's healthy to question people, and it's healthy to be questioned... it makes you look more at what you truly believe. Maybe that's why a lot of people find those conversations uncomfortable. Maybe they don't want to have to think for themselves. I don't know.

I think that everyone has a little piece of the puzzle. Maybe if everyone stopped being so defensive, we could put the pieces together and see what the big picture is. I don't mind being wrong. I mind not knowing what is right.

Edited to be anal retentive about grammar and things.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
why do you think that so many theists think that we're some sort of cohesive, organized group that could do something as big as overthrowing christianity?

For the same reason that some people think gay people are some sort of cohesive, organized group out to overthrow the sanctity of marriage.

For the same reason that some people think Muslims are some sort of cohesive, organized group out to terrorize and take over the US.

For the same reason that some people think black people are some sort of cohesive, organized group out to rule the white population of America.

The truth is there are some number of atheists (greater than zero) who would very much like to do away with religion. So, that gets applied to all atheists. It's just another form of prejudice.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yeah there's all sorts of stereotyping going on. Some against atheists, and on the flip side, some against Christians. Unfortunately some project negative feelings towards an entire group of people based on some individual that reinforces previously held beliefs. In other words people tend to see what they want to see.

I'm not worried about some group that may want to overthrow Christianity. I mean Christianity isn't some earthly building that can be overthrown. It's a faith, a belief that's carried in the heart and mind of the individual. That's not something that can be overthrown.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
ok, new question for us atheists.

what religion do you look down upon the most in terms of teachings?

not in terms of logical feasibilty

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

what religion do you look down upon the most in terms of teachings?

Hmm, difficult. It would have to be one of the abrahamics, or even all of them. They all have some good bits, and some bad bits. But they are all rather contradictory.

To choose between them I'll use the current status of the three faiths, and so Islam is top of the flops this week.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
ROFLMAO.

I love how theists on this site continually accuse atheists of posting in religious threads and then post in a thread clearly titled "Atheist Chat".

The irony is, well , iron.

ROFL.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I take it you don’t welcome my posts here mojo. lol

I was once an atheist and feel my experiences/opinions are relevant to the discussion.

edit: not that I need to be a atheist to post here in the first place.

[edit on 2/26/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

why do you think that so many theists think that we're some sort of cohesive, organized group that could do something as big as overthrowing christianity?

[edit on 23-1-2008 by chissler]

Because those who are not for us are against us.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

yeah, jesus did say that...but there's an issue there... what about those that are for some of the things you like, but against others? there's always a middle ground to be found.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

well, i was talking in terms of pure teachings, so let's not really go into the state of affairs of how followers are treating the religion

i'll agree that it also seems to be a push between the 3 abrahamic faiths for me as well.
bible vs koran is quite the prize fight for which book i most disagree with while still liking some of the teachings...
hm

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Wrong KL, i believe everyone has the right to discuss their thoughts anywhere, it is a discussion forum after all.
I was commenting on the irony of theists accusing atheists of disturbing their religious discussions (i can find plenty of those posts if you would like evidence) and then posting in a thread entitled "Atheist Chat".
Dont you see that?

[edit to add] Personally i welcome discussion with anyone of any belief.
And i should have said some theists.

I've always welcomed civilized discussion with you and other intelligent theists on all manner of topics.

[edit on 27/2/08 by mojo4sale]

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Oh I'm glad to hear it Mojo.

Being the only theist posting to this thread at the time your your 'observation' I naturally assumed you were talking about me.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Oh I'm glad to hear it Mojo.

Being the only theist posting to this thread at the time your your 'observation' I naturally assumed you were talking about me.

Thats not quite accurate KL.

TheHypnoToad..."I am not an atheist. I consider myself a very spiritual person, and believe very strongly in God,"

JesusisTruth..."Atheist are not going to overthrow us" (by us i guess JesusisTruth means that he is a theist)

BeachKoma, believes in God, i guess that would make him a theist.

Clearskies also posted before my post, She is also clearly a theist.

Thats before your posts and since then TheHumbleone has posted.

So to suggest that you were the only theist that had posted up to the point of my comment is blatantly incorrect.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I see, my mistake...sorry for the assumption.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I see, my mistake...sorry for the assumption.

No probs mate. No foul, play on.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

well, it's ok. you're being constructive, so don't worry

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

yeah, jesus did say that...but there's an issue there... what about those that are for some of the things you like, but against others? there's always a middle ground to be found.

What do you mean?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join