It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I think Atheists that I see for the most part lack courtesy, knowledge , and valid arguments towards theism. The way Atheists and Theists come off towards each other is very futile in respects to passing knowledge and having productive conversation.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Welcome back, madness. It's been a long time.

What have you been up to?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I've been attending University and working on some stuff in the local theatre and film scene. Hoping to go for my MA in film directing in two years. Which is actually sort of why I wanted to talk about youtube atheists, as I'm considering some documentary work about atheism in my small nation (Malta) and the influence of religion which I would then post on aforementioned video site.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Another thing I'd like to ask the Atheist community here:

How do people in your community react to your lack of faith?
How does your location affect you?

And for the theists following this thread:

How do you personally feel about atheists in your community?
How does the rest of your community view them?

I ask because I recently returned to the nation of my origin (Malta) after living for 16 years in America. I grew up in a nation that was tolerant in some place and incredibly intolerant in others, but mostly uninformed in either case. I encountered very little actual acceptance of my atheism in America.

In Malta it's actually a bit worse. There are quite a few atheists, but the majority of the people are Roman Catholic (over 90%), and the Church controls political contests and the public mindset a bit too much. As such, my lack of faith is demonized and I have to hide my atheism from quite a few people, including some members of my family.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Bump.

Fellow atheists/nonbelievers, I have a question for you.

Do you find that, as an atheist, you're forced to learn more about the natural world and the religious beliefs of others in order to defend your own skepticism on a single issue?

I've been noticing this myself lately, and I think it's kind of crazy that because I do not accept the notion of theism, I have to learn so damn much.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Well, in the beginning it was more the case that learning more about science made me less religious.

But arguing with creationists on ATS has been an education in more ways than one.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Do you find that, as an atheist, you're forced to learn more about the natural world and the religious beliefs of others in order to defend your own skepticism on a single issue ?

No , since I was a child I have had a thirst for knowledgeable . A fundamental part of me as always been to ask why about almost anything ?

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax
and post by xpert11

I agree with both you.

But isn't there a facet where we're forced to learn more because we're simply questioned about our lack of belief more than people are ever questioned about their religious preference?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

In my experience the handful of times I have had the revlent discussion with friends or family no such depth was required to refute the opposing point of view .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I guess I had a different experience. The majority of my familial experience was the same, but my father was the real sticking point.

He was a fairly devout Catholic (now an atheist, I sort of 'showed him there wasn't light') and he is a physicist. So I had to address fairly scientific critiques. He wasn't a creationist by any stretch, but he had some somewhat scientific reasoning in his head.

And there was one of my best friends, still a devout Catholic, who kept trying to reconvert me back to Catholicism, so he looked up every imaginable way to not be an atheist.

And then there was the person who took it hardest, me. I had agonized over becoming an atheist, it had taken me so long to work out how everything is without god and that sort of stuff.

Of course, there's my grandmother who still tries to reconvert me as well. But she doesn't actually provide arguments, she just says 'You should go to church, it's just once a week' and 'You should love God' and doesn't understand that I simply don't believe in such a notion. I just have to tell her that it's my choice.

What about the rest of you? What was your experience from family and friends?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

How do people in your community react to your lack of faith?

Usual stuff, been called a Satanist, a pedophile, evil, evil person.
Oddly, before this they think of me as a good, kind, moral person who's a good one to leave your kids with.

How does your location affect you?

I'm in the Bible Belt, makes me afraid to try to discuss religion. I've tried it with people I'm close to, even back before I was an atheist, and it was remarkably difficult to submit any other difference of opinion or thought for discussion without it being attacked as atheism or Satanism.

And since I have a bad temper, the discussion usually devolves to an argument.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I know how that feels. I grew up in Missouri, so I had plenty of experience with those who rejected basic science and made such claims that "NASA actually measured something with a satellite and it proved that the Earth is missing one day" ...in defense of the Bible's claim that the Sun stood still in the sky...and it was a teacher trying to convert me....in a public school.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

By the circumstances of me volunteering at the Rangiora Express * for a couple of days last , I ended up spending time around Christians . Suffice to say that umm some of there views were "interesting." Since doing the same task repetitively ran the risk of driving me insane I didn't mind the conversation . One guy in particular seemed happy to talk . On the issue of faith the person in question didn't have a problem with the comparison to me loving my pet cat . Well aside from the fact evidence exists to support the existence of Georgie , no extraordinary claims are made about her .

I was asked that if god existed would we understand him ?
I replied that we couldn't understand an all powerful being . The guy really only heard what he wanted to because he didn't seem to notice my explanation was that not one generation discovery's everything . At another stage someone claimed that when I died I would have to choose between heaven or hell or something like that . Also a discussion took place if the Mayor of Auckland is a Christian . I then pointed out that Richard Nixon was a Christian and to there credit they understood my point .

* Assembling improvised toilets from buckets for the people of Christchurch .

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Atheist Chat v1.1?!?!

Nice!....whats goin on in here?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Bump.

Fellow atheists/nonbelievers, I have a question for you.

Do you find that, as an atheist, you're forced to learn more about the natural world and the religious beliefs of others in order to defend your own skepticism on a single issue?

I've been noticing this myself lately, and I think it's kind of crazy that because I do not accept the notion of theism, I have to learn so damn much.

Why do you want to learn about what you don't believe in... Are you trying to change others beliefs?

A better question is, why do you care what others believe, or what they think for that matter?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Why do you want to learn about what you don't believe in?

Are you saying madness doesn't believe in the natural world?

Are you trying to change others beliefs?

He's an atheist asking other atheists a question. Where does changing other people's beliefs come into it?

A better question is, why do you care what others believe, or what they think for that matter?

Why is that a better question?

Are you an atheist?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

why do you think that so many theists think that we're some sort of cohesive, organized group that could do something as big as overthrowing christianity?

[edit on 23-1-2008 by chissler]

Because so many of you express exactly that intention (overthrowing Christianity..)
Vicky

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Why do you want to learn about what you don't believe in?

Are you saying madness doesn't believe in the natural world?

I didn't say that...

Are you trying to change others beliefs?

He's an atheist asking other atheists a question. Where does changing other people's beliefs come into it?

I was wondering if he was trying to "convert" people to atheism... I didn't think it was a complicated question honestly...

Why is that a better question?

Are you an atheist?

Not at all, Im wondering why he cares what other people think?

Im not really sure why you replied to me, i was asking him, whatever though...i take it you're his spokesperson?

Remind me to ask him why he needs someone to reply for him.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm not trying to convert anyone here. I just opened this thread three years ago to allow for an open and safe place where atheists could talk about their experiences as atheists and the specific issues that arise in cultural contexts. I also wanted to open up a place for theists and deists to simply talk to atheists and ask simple questions.

No other motives here. In fact, this spun off from the original "Atheist Chat" thread that was closed due to some...moderation issues. Best not to discuss it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Ahh....i see thanks for clairifying that for me...

Thank your muse too

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join