It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat v1.1

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
why do you think that so many theists think that we're some sort of cohesive, organized group that could do something as big as overthrowing christianity?

[edit on 23-1-2008 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
lol it's already hard enough getting us in once place let alone over throw a organised religion. Sure if we get together every Sunday and discuss plans then we have a better chance, though hardly enough. Hmm why do they meet up every Sunday? Suss..

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Whahaha madness, atheist chat v1.1.

I think that alot of theists see atheists as communist.

This is most obvious in post where they state that communists are atheists who have killed more people than religious people have.

Atheist does not = communists.

Atheist = does not believe in existance of deities. Does not worship state or anything else, no rules, dogma, rituals.

Communists = bans religion to replace it with state/leader worship with rules, dogma, ritual praising songs and sessions.

Please feel free to add or change this, I am not that well informed about communisum.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by ixiy]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Good question, MM.

I think they just like to play the martyr. There are a few organised atheist groups, but as has been said numerous times, organising atheists is like herding cats.

I would think all atheists would like to see religion lose its grip on society, but words like 'overthrow' suggest some sort of forced event. And this is where I disagree. Atheists will 'overthrow' religion by simply talking sense, by being visible and rational.

The revolution will not be televised, but there might be a few seminars on the intertubz.

The likes of Dawkins are simply attempting to make it safe for atheists in the US. At this point, many atheists are in the closet due to the prejudice widespread in that country. Atheists in certain communities fear the response from the faithful they are surrounded by. Thus, raising awareness and organising can only be good for people in that situation.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
why do you think that so many theists think that we're some sort of cohesive, organized group that could do something as big as overthrowing christianity?

Because we are...

oppps!!

That's let the unherded cats out of the bag.

Just for the fun of it, but if we the dreaded godless ones did overthrow christianity... Who would be next?

MonKey

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

You ask this in a thread entitled 'Atheist Chat'. Ironic?

BTW, I'm not a theist.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well, this from one of my newsletters;

CNSNews.com, 10/3/07: Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares [Excerpts] -- Science must ultimately destroy organized religion, according to some of the leading atheist writers and intellectuals who spoke at a recent atheist conference in Northern Virginia. God is a myth, and children must not be schooled in any faith, they said, at the "Crystal Clear Atheism" event, sponsored by the Atheist Alliance International.

Some of the luminaries who spoke at the conference included Oxford professor Richard Dawkins, author Sam Harris and journalist Christopher Hitchens.

In his speech, Dawkins...denounced the "preposterous nonsense of religious customs" and compared religion to racism.

Dawkins was particularly critical of parents who raise their children as a "Catholic child" or "Protestant child." Children...should be allowed to examine the evidence and determine their beliefs for themselves.

Many of the attendees seemed to have developed an aversion to religion from conservative Protestant Christians. Several... complained of living under fundamentalist parents who frowned upon any questioning of the Bible or any activity condemned in Scripture.

"It wasn't easy [telling my parents I was an atheist]," one said. "I still haven't entirely told them. I just say I'm a humanist, which they don't seem to mind."

But they are a proudly elitist and self-certain minority. When asked what the main difference between believers and atheists was, Dawkins had a quick answer: "Well, we're bright."
[TBC: On the other hand, Scripture tells us, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God" (Psalm 14:1).]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Dawkins is an idiot clear. Hes not "intelligent". He runs on pride. hes not street smart, hes likeone of those robots that dont give miracles a chance.

Let him think what he will, he will soon come face to face with hm that made him.

Now to madness.

Atheist are not going to overthrow us, antichrist will for 3 1/2 years he will reign, shut church down, get (almost everybody) to go along with him because of his false miracles and will literally rule the world for 3 years.

The apoc. says we will be overcome for a while, and as you can see the antichristian movement in full force today, its gonna get worse.

Ancient Void.

" hmm why do they meet up every sunday "

you didnt know? We have tournaments of hop scotch in the basement when its over. Im pretty good.

Melat.

" I think they like to play the martry "

No, the apoc. says we will be destroyed. the movement of antichrist in this country is amazing. People can joke about us, make goofy movies about us and get away with it. I truly think God place Bill Orielly here to try and keep a strong voice in this country even though he too is an freemosonic Catholic, not a real catholic..

I am posting soon some of the prophecies about the time of antichrist from saints.

they all say we will be tortured like never before during his reign, sluaghtered and tortured. Or put in prison if we dont take that mark if its micro chip...

peace .

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Onward atheist soldiers marching as to war,
with the book of Dawkins going on before...

Oh, the martyrs are here...

Originally posted by Clearskies

CNSNews.com, 10/3/07: Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares [Excerpts] -- Science must ultimately destroy organized religion, according to some of the leading atheist writers and intellectuals who spoke at a recent atheist conference in Northern Virginia.

And how are they going to 'destroy' organised religion? Drop a logic bomb on churches?

We will educate you to within an inch of your lives...

Well, maybe not you two. We have to put some down as lost causes. Bit like the casting pearls to pigs stuff.

Cheers.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

[TBC: On the other hand, Scripture tells us, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God" (Psalm 14:1).]

And as William Shakespeare tells us "It takes a wise man to play the fool"

Shakespeare may have been a German spy, but at least there is no doubting that he at least existed.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
i'd like to point something out:

this isn't a debate, this is a place for atheists (and other non-religious folk) to politely chat amongst ourselves. theists can join in if they wish to be polite and courteous.

you really shouldn't let news letters sway you, as you're about to see, they tend to be very misleading

CNSNews.com, 10/3/07: Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares [Excerpts] --

they'd put it in quotes if the AA actually said it...

Science must ultimately destroy organized religion, according to some of the leading atheist writers and intellectuals who spoke at a recent atheist conference in Northern Virginia.

notice that it says "science"?
not atheists, SCIENCE.
as in... people realizing things from themselves through rational inquiry...

God is a myth, and children must not be schooled in any faith, they said, at the "Crystal Clear Atheism" event, sponsored by the Atheist Alliance International.

well, obviously we believe the first one... they say it like it's news
and the second, i've seen people who are religious agree with. they don't think children should receive religious education until they can actually understand what they're being educated on

In his speech, Dawkins...denounced the "preposterous nonsense of religious customs" and compared religion to racism.

yet they don't put HOW he compared religion to racism
that's called sensationalism

Dawkins was particularly critical of parents who raise their children as a "Catholic child" or "Protestant child." Children...should be allowed to examine the evidence and determine their beliefs for themselves.

isn't that true?

Many of the attendees seemed to have developed an aversion to religion from conservative Protestant Christians.

that's actually quite the myth. it tends to be that whole "lack of evidence" thing

Several... complained of living under fundamentalist parents who frowned upon any questioning of the Bible or any activity condemned in Scripture.

"It wasn't easy [telling my parents I was an atheist]," one said. "I still haven't entirely told them. I just say I'm a humanist, which they don't seem to mind."

well, yes. this is something that's very difficult for an atheist, defying the parents and possibly harming our relationship with them because they refuse to accept us for who we are.

But they are a proudly elitist and self-certain minority. When asked what the main difference between believers and atheists was, Dawkins had a quick answer: "Well, we're bright."

way to take things out of context... he was referring to the "brights" movement. it's a joke.
like if someone asked "what's the difference between a homosexual and an atheist?"
and the homosexual said "Well, we're happy(gay)"

that's called an ad hominem attack. insulting the person because they don't agree with you is no way to win an argument (you'd think god's word would know better)

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
Dawkins is an idiot clear. Hes not "intelligent". He runs on pride. hes not street smart, hes likeone of those robots that dont give miracles a chance.

he'd give one the chance if it had any evidence. he is a scientist, after all.

Let him think what he will, he will soon come face to face with hm that made him.

this statement is called "arrogance"

Now to madness.

oh... i just can't wait for this...

Atheist are not going to overthrow us, antichrist will for 3 1/2 years he will reign, shut church down, get (almost everybody) to go along with him because of his false miracles and will literally rule the world for 3 years.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand, it is preaching.

The apoc. says we will be overcome for a while, and as you can see the antichristian movement in full force today, its gonna get worse.

could you point it out to me, i must have the sun in my eyes because i just can't see it

No, the apoc. says we will be destroyed.

exactly, you like to play the martyr.
that book is an allegory to the time of the romans when christians were actually persecuted.

the movement of antichrist in this country is amazing.

really? where?

People can joke about us, make goofy movies about us and get away with it.

people can joke about any group of people... it's called free speech
and what "goofy movies" have been made about christians?

I truly think God place Bill Orielly here to try and keep a strong voice in this country

you mean a semi-insane, lying voice? i haven't seen him saying anything that's the least bit logical or cohesive and i actually fear for his mental health. he's been caught outright lying on many occasions as well...

even though he too is an freemosonic Catholic, not a real catholic..

i love it when people say that certain members of a religion aren't "real" members

I am posting soon some of the prophecies about the time of antichrist from saints.

ok... but this has absolutely nothing to do with the "atheist chat"
don't preach here.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wont preach here madness.....[snip]

*Off topic comments removed. Please stay on topic. (Atheist Chat v1.1). This is a discussion about Atheism.*

[edit on 24-1-2008 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ixiy

i think you're onto something there.
a lot of the additions to america that happened during the cold war were made to fight the "godless commies"
"in god we trust" (yeah, right where jesus would want that, on the money)
"under god"
added in the 50s...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm not strictly an atheist, but I'm not strictly a theist anymore, so I'm sure no one will protest at my posting here.

Because they are a (relatively) cohesive, organized group that is trying to prevent atheism, agnosticism etc from spreading. Maybe thats what they want their opposition to be as well, so that they have some sort of idea of what they are against, instead of small groups of people that are harder to notice, do less (on a global scale) yet are still there.

Of course, the fact that more extreme branches make opposition just by being themselves and preaching hate doesn't help themselves all that much though that goes for all religions.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
I'm not strictly an atheist, but I'm not strictly a theist anymore, so I'm sure no one will protest at my posting here.

all are welcome, just don't go off topic.

Because they are a (relatively) cohesive, organized group that is trying to prevent atheism, agnosticism etc from spreading. Maybe thats what they want their opposition to be as well, so that they have some sort of idea of what they are against, instead of small groups of people that are harder to notice, do less (on a global scale) yet are still there.

that's actually quite a good way to look at it. i never really thought about it that way.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

[...]people realizing things from themselves through rational inquiry...[...]

This is true: Each person must learn to discern his/her/its own truth and not go along with any religious dogma. This is why the head (rational mind) is placed over the heart (emotional kind) and everything else, err, below (uncontrollable grind). [See? I love to rhyme, too!]

Anyone has free-will to believe in one or more deity or none at all. Can you imagine a world full of people faithfully believing anything as everyone else in a particular group? Nah! Eventually, playtime would have to end until it’s time find other sandboxes to join and feel acknowledged for being unique.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Just thought I'd wish everyone a Happy Darwin Day.

it seems that, in the absence of a strong driving force that was the founder of the previous iteration of this thread and a general lack of enthusiasm, this thread is dying...

please, my fellow atheists, agnostics, and nonreligious people, let us converse and have this little corner where we can talk.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Along with the fine news that Darwin would now be 199 years old, is the more double-edged news that Dawkins retires from his academic positon at Oxford later this year.

Bad because he has been an excellent chair for the public understanding of science, but good because he'll have more time for the less formal academic pursuits.

Anyway, yeah, me's FCD.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
And how are they going to 'destroy' organised religion? Drop a logic bomb on churches?

You are going to Tartarus. I spilt my coffee out through my nose.

It hurts.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

What would happen if every theist stayed at home and worshipped on their own? One generation and religion would die out completely.

With regard to believers in the bible you only need to look at Genesis and have a basic knowledge of science to know Moses made his god up.

To believe in the unbelievable you need to be brainwashed (see Wikipedia definition of "mind control" and compare the list to church goers and heaven seekers [reward seekers] ). Theists have faith because the church brainwashes them, that's why the most feverish advocates on theism on this site (and everywhere else) are the most devoted to their faith and (most likely) the most involved in their church.

(Of course, because theists believe faith is a good concept and brainwashing is a bad concept, they also protest any concept of the church brainwashing but, again, the fact is, tick off what a theist does against what mind control does. A theist will ignore this as they ignore the failings in Genesis.)

For a person in a "cult" it is hard to understand why everyone isn't in a cult because they believe it is okay and natural. It feels good to belong so why wouldn't every one need to "belong". It's how you get over the misery of reality.

It is difficult for them to comprehend a belief in something without a reward or a group purpose hence they assume because atheists, for the most part, believe in evolution there must be more to it than merely an individual observing science and accepting the evidence.

That simply doesn't fit into their distorted view of how the world works. There must be more and it must involve a support group with a common purpose.

What they think is irrelevant, they are used to living outside of reality, atheists aren't.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by HornedOne]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join