It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buried Volcano Discovered in Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Buried Volcano Discovered in Antarctica

www.foxnews.com

We believe this was the biggest eruption in Antarctica during the last 10,000 years," said study co-author Hugh Corr, a glaciologist for the British Antarctic Survey (BAS). "It blew a substantial hole in the ice sheet, and generated a plume of ash and gas that rose around 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) into [the] air."

Brooding Giant

Although ice buried the unnamed volcano, molten rock is still churning below. David Vaughan, a glaciologist with the BAS and a co-author of the new study, said the discovery might explain the speeding up of historically slow-moving glaciers in the region.

“This eruption occurred close to Pine Island Glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet," Vaughan said. "The flow of this glacier towards the coast has speeded up in recent decades, and it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration."

The effect is similar to a person gliding down a Slip 'n Slide: Volcanically melted water beneath the colossal ice sheet lubricates its movement, assisting its gravity-powered journey toward the Antarctic Ocean.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The West Antarctic Ice Sheet has historically been very slow moving however, molten lava churning below the surface may be melting the ice sheet from below (similar to areas of eastern Greenland) and causing faster advance of the ice.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Wow, I think this thread has been grossly overlooked. I added you to my "Interesting Threads" list in my signature - maybe that will bring some traffic.

So a volcanic eruption happened in Antarctica, eh? Lava + Glaciers = Problem. If that thing were to spit lava out for an extended time, we might have to update our Antarctic maps.

Starred / Flagged

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like another member already beat you to it. I have redirected the link in my signature to point to the pre-existing thread.

[edit on 1/23/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Very interesting. Just goes to show what could still be buried under Antarctica.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing thread, thank you

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join