It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatry, Tom Cruise and Scientology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Psychiatry, Tom Cruise and Scientology

www.americanchronicle.com

Some believe the psychiatric communities are working to end the pursuit of individualism and creativity and site the lives and deaths of celebrities such as Marilyn Monroe, Ernest Hemingway, Francis Farmer and Judy Garland. Others believe it is about social control, eugenics and racism. But unfortunately most believe their television and the marketing of the idea that we are all suffering under one banner of mental illness or another and luckily for us, there is a pill for that.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The attention that Tom Cruise is receiving, despite his "insanity" inspired me to look a little further into the issue and history of psychiatry.

www.americanchronicle.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Good Article.

It has always wound me up that people on here discredit the press "headlines" and accuse the press of being a "mass manipulation tool" of the elite, but then all jump on the anti-scientology band wagon and fall head over heals for the anti-scientology videos/articles produced by the same media corporations they were previously mocking.

The way i see it, the elite would have an agenda to discredit scientology as much as possible, as scientology threatens a massive source of income (psychiatry) of the elite, and if it accumulates enough wealth could be considered a threat itself.

I am not a scientologist, but i do agree on their stance on psychiatry. It seems amazing to me that if someone has an mental illness, the agreed "official" solution is to feed them drugs or cut out a chunk of their brain to suppress or dumb down the observable symptoms, instead of getting to the root of the problem and treating that.

Perhaps we just dont know what causes some/lots of mental illness yet...

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I haven't looked into Scientologies alternative approach to mental illness, but I haven't much doubt that a persons water intake, diet and eating habits can greatly affect their metabolism, chemical makeup and toxicity levels.
It's been mentioned already about how some anti-psychotic drugs are pushing people into the diabetic problem. Since humans apparently have a bacterial digestive system also, what affects these can also affect us.

Supposedly many doctors overlook what some might refer to as third world infections, such as parasites. From my understanding, many third world educated doctors appear to be more knowledgeable about these and look for signs of infections that would typically be overlooked by U.S. trained doctors.
Many third world countries may typically use certain spices that help the body to rid itself of these nasty infections or keep them under control. Religious fasting may be another natural way to purge some of these toxins and various infections out.

Many drug therapies are probably toxic to our natural systems. As for Tom C., he appears to be Bipolar and lives with it. Supposedly many people live their lives as Bipolar and are never diagnosed or refuse treatment for it.

People shouldn't be expected to medicate their lives in order to fit in with society and the majority rules as medicated zombies and robots.

When the price and availability of these drug therapies drastically change in a world crisis, these people will be even worse off. I'm all for more natural approaches to these issues than just focusing on expensive or possibly life threatening medications.

So, just because Scientology says something obvious, doesn't make them the world's Gurus or Messiah either.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I totally agree about the Psychiatric issues.

I just found an article labelling a form of Love as mentally ill... drugs soon to come?

I wrote a thread in the medical forum..

Fallen in Love? You may be mentally ill.. you may have Limerence

Noun

Limerence (plural limerences)

An involuntary state of mind which seems to result from a romantic attraction for another person combined with an overwhelming, obsessive need to have one's feelings reciprocated.

Limerence can often be what is meant when one expresses "having a crush" on (or infatuation with) someone else although limerence, unlike a crush, can last months, years or even a lifetime. It is characterized by intrusive thinking and pronounced sensitivity to external events that reflect the disposition of the limerent object towards the individual.

Thx

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Not all psychiatry involves medication. Sometimes medication helps a great deal. Yes, there are people who medicate when unnecessary and Big Pharm is a major part in that. Many people have personal issues to deal with and need some sort of guidance. Some get it from Clergy, others from therapists.

If you wish to look at what Scientologists do with patients, Google Lisa Mcpherson. Her death at the hands of Scientologists is a crime that could have easily been prevented.

The list of heinous acts perpetrated by the Cult of Scientology is long and well documented. I have nothing against those who wish to believe that they are alien ghosts, I do however have a major problem with a corporation that charges significant amounts for learning their faith.

One can get the Holy Bible FREE from Gideons. One can get The Book of Mormon FREE from the Church of Latter Day Saints. The Cult of Scientology charges FIXED Fees (not donations mind you) of over $350,000 for their 'teachings'. That is more than TWICE the cost of a graduate degree from Harvard University.

When the cults teachings became publicly available, the 'church' sued for copyright infringements of corporate trade secrets. Since when is Religious dogma a corporate trade secret????? Religion must be free, and when it isn't, it should be Taxed like any other corporation. Clinton gave them Tax Free status in a back door deal.

You can learn about Scientology quite easily. A good start is at Xenu.net and WhyAreTheyDead.net

Do the research and learn about the death of Lisa McPherson and others at the hands of the 'Church' of Scientology.

[edit on 17/2/08 by Terapin]

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

I haven't yet read the article, but do get the idea that many people have some type of chemical addictions that are proucts of our own natural body chemistry and labido.
The ability to control these from becoming life threatening is a great idea. But I'm more interested in controlling these using natural remedies or even hypnosis or acupuncture.

I'm currently on an antipsychotic that appears to be controlling certain urges. I still remember my labido from my younger years and understand the horndog anaolgy of youth and a sign of health or cup runneth over.

I feel very saddened at what our youth today have to be faced with by our more aggressive and deadlier STD's.

What was it about that alleged salt peter that was supposedly used in the military?

How long will it be before our societies sexuality and enjoyment is turned on or off by how we produce for it as a reward?

I can see how certain criminal behaviors need to be minimized or even eliminated this way. But, how long before we all get electrical implants rather than oral medications? Will nano technology be used as an injection for this technology?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I guess I have a different perspective on this issue because I happen to be in therapy due to an abusive marriage. I can see the point some of you are trying to make about medications. I, personally, am on none. I have been offered and have refused both times. The first time was after almost a year of seeing that particular therapist. The second time was a different therapist and it was within the first five minutes. The therapist I'm with now told me he didn't think I needed them. There are good therapist out there. They're hard to find like anything else. As far as Scientology is concerned, I don't think their problem with the mental health field is anything more than a challenge to their need to control everything. If people are mentally healthy and stable they won't need Scientology. They won't need someone else to tell them what to do and how to spend their money.

top topics

join