It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Windows 2000 and Windows NT source code is leaked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Portions of Microsofts operating systems Windows 2000 and Windows NT have been leaked. Unknown hackers gathered access to more than 50.000 source code files.

Just after the news of big holes in Microsofts operating systems another bad news strikes the news. Portions or maybe the whole windows 2000 and NT source code have been leaked. For a few hours the code was downloadable from "linuxkiddie"(rumoured). The files are 239mb(NT) and 210mb(win2k).

A screenshot here created by somebody who was lucky to get his hand on this one. Please remind that this one aint from me, really it isnt:

Such a leak can lead the way for the hacker community to find even more devastating security flaws in Microsofts popular operating systems. It may sound fun on the one side but it should be noted that this sets more in danger as the usual home users. Networks such as military, governmental, healt-care, mission-critical, financial and scientific ones will be exposed to heavy damage done by either cyberterrorists or your son sitting in the next room.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sources:

slashdot.org.../02/12/2114228

www.secureit.co.il...

news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Thats why we have firewalls

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This isnt the 1st time a source for a Microsoft OS has been leaked is it?? If I recall 98' was also hacked and the source was released and soon after a few bugs came along.

Anyways, I use XP.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamz
This isnt the 1st time a source for a Microsoft OS has been leaked is it?? If I recall 98' was also hacked and the source was released and soon after a few bugs came along.

Anyways, I use XP.

As do I...but technically speaking, XP is NT 5

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hey NS, next time you have bad news keep it to yourself.

Im not very "program" literate so I guess that cant be good news for me.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
To summarize it what the maximum damage could be:

An evil man could write up a virus spreading fast, nearly undetected, using unknown security holes and hiding deep with the ultimate usuage of flaws in the shellcode, then deleting everything at a given date.

Don't think I am paniced, but the above theory isn't far off if everything is leaked. Though I still guess it is just portions and not the important ones. Hopefully.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Linux keeps looking more and more like an option

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
yet another reason to use Linux.. and their source code doesnt have to be hacked its available for everyone to see. As far as I know its still secure

Im running SuSE 9.0 but cant get online because I use AOL

So I run Windows XP for internet till i decide to get a new ISP

Okay i got off topic there, so ill shut up

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The firewalls will stop some of the problems this will cause, but not the viruses written to use previously unknown holes in the OS. I would estimate maybe a week before a new virus comes out that will make Blaster, Mydoom, and Slammer look like simple little batch files.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Hey NS, next time you have bad news keep it to yourself.

Im not very "program" literate so I guess that cant be good news for me.

Though the post above me is true (there are "holes") make sure your XP firewall is running and or have another firewall.

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by NetStorm]

who

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I might be in luck then, I just finished building a new machine and used Linux instead of windows. never tried it before, just wanted to give it a go.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

Anyways, I use XP.

As do I...but technically speaking, XP is NT 5

Err... no.

Windows 2000 is "technically" NT 5.0. I was sitting in the middle of a LARGE beta course (~120 systems being set up and run) of NT 5.0 when the word came down (on the second day, as I recall) that the name had been officially changed to Windows 2000.

If you want to call XP anything along those lines, call it NT 6.0... though NT 5.5 or NT 5.1 might be more appropriate.

Just FYI.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
XP reports as NT 5.1 and correct me if I�m wrong but uses the same kernel as win2k therefore potentially no MS user is safe..... part from maybe win9x users

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
great. so windows becomes even more of a risk to run.
good thing i use a mac, now all my 'top secret' character files are safe.
no, thats real dangerous, not to personal people, but as u said to social services and coporations. its askin for trouble when the whole brainwashed world uses the same unreliable OS.

top topics

join