It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals Suffer From Cloning Warns EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Animals Suffer From Cloning Warns EU

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Farming cloned livestock should be banned because the animals suffer too much, EU ethics experts said last night.
Animal welfare campaigners welcomed the call from the European Group on Ethics.
RSPCA scientist Dr Nikki Osborne said: "Cloning causes untold suffering but is purely commercial. The cost in welfare in no way justifies any perceived benefits."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.webindia123.com
www.reuters.com
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FDA Set to OK Cloned Meat and Milk
Cloned Animals are OK to Eat Rules the FDA

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Personally I think cloning is ok. However, I would not like to eat a cloned animal. I do not like or believe in GMO plants either.

We should be sticking to natural and organic foods when possible. Not only do they taste better in general, but they're healthier for us.

Animals created in a laboratory does not sound very appetizing to me. Food needs to be produced outside like nature intended not in some mad scientists lab.

When will scientists learn to stay out of the kitchen?

www.thisislondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Personally I think cloning is ok. However, I would not like to eat a cloned animal. I do not like or believe in GMO plants either.

We should be sticking to natural and organic foods when possible. Not only do they taste better in general, but they're healthier for us.

I agree with you on your first point about cloning being ok, but i would have no problem eating a cloned animal or GM plants.
And as for the statement that there healthier were are you gettin this information?(not that i have eaten cloned meat, but i have eaten GM grain and its fine, disease resistent and gives higher yields per plant, which means it doesnt get sprayed with chemicals, unlike EVERY other crop out there!)I suspect it's all natural anti modern society people that you are getting this information off of, i dont think there is any difference in taste but I cant really argue that point cause you might like marmite which is the nastiest thing out there!LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Cloning can maybe be justified, if the reasons are for the development, to help researchers treat diseases better.

But eating things like GM food, cloned animals and other unnatural substances will only add further to the sickness of people.

Did you know that they allready pump all kinds of meat full of Sodium nitrite! take a look at that little beauty here

Take a look at all the other delicious stuff the put into foods here also, and tell me that we arent allready being poisoned enough!

Cloning should be for recearch or health-dealing issues only, not for food.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluess
Cloning can maybe be justified, if the reasons are for the development, to help researchers treat diseases better.

But eating things like GM food, cloned animals and other unnatural substances will only add further to the sickness of people.

Did you know that they allready pump all kinds of meat full of Sodium nitrite! take a look at that little beauty here

Take a look at all the other delicious stuff the put into foods here also, and tell me that we arent allready being poisoned enough!

Cloning should be for recearch or health-dealing issues only, not for food.

Fair enough but this all comes down to personal choice and i chose a healthier life, yes a healthier life, most of the fact that we now live twice as long as we used to has to do with diet, ours is much better than our ancestors! plai and simple fact, the healthy option didnt do our ancestors any good so why would it do us good now?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I remember a scientist from a few years ago explaining why cloning was inhumane. He said something to the effect: When cloning goes well, everything is fine. But the thousands of times it took for that one time is a disaster.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think most of us would like to choose the healthier option for our diet, but is that going to be possible? Not all GM foods are labelled as such, for instance. Reports suggest that cloned meat may also lack sufficient labelling. In order to guarantee you don't eat cloned beef, you might need to avoid the meat completely. That's a depressing thought.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AJ Lavender
I think most of us would like to choose the healthier option for our diet, but is that going to be possible? Not all GM foods are labelled as such, for instance. Reports suggest that cloned meat may also lack sufficient labelling. In order to guarantee you don't eat cloned beef, you might need to avoid the meat completely. That's a depressing thought.

Maybe in America but you would not believe the stuff farmers have to do to keep track of meat in Ireland, in fact all European meat as far as i no has to be DNA tracable back to the stall it was born in and what it had for dinner on its last day and what it got up to everyday in between, and there is no industry, and i mean not one single industry that has as much legislation slapped on it that genetic foods or genetic anything has attached to it!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fada126
Fair enough but this all comes down to personal choice and i chose a healthier life, yes a healthier life, most of the fact that we now live twice as long as we used to has to do with diet, ours is much better than our ancestors! plai and simple fact, the healthy option didnt do our ancestors any good so why would it do us good now?

A healthier life by eating artificial additives and toxines in food?

If you blame your longer lifetime on this, you have a very wrong understanding of diet and nutrients ,and possible also a wrong understanding of history.

In the past people died more from deseases like plagues, pest, bad sanitary conditions causing bacteria enfections (penicillin is fairly new you know), untreatable deseases like tuberculosis, and other stuff. Not from eating naturally grown foods...Comon...

Today the problem is Cancer, allergies, cronical breath problems and the likes, witch cannot be cured, and witch have taken a hold in us, due to the polution of water, air and the things we eat and drink.

You only live longer because you can be cured of most deseases, If you also eat natural food you will live longer and healthier aswell.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm not about to jump in here on one side or the other. This is one of those emotional issues that can break up marriages and long time beer drinking buddies.

However, I think there is one area that is being overlooked. Diversity.

OK, when the "best" beef producing cow is found, and cloned over and over, what happens to "Miss Congeniality", the runner up in all this? Do we have world in a few years where there is only beef from Angus cattle from a certain breed line and milk from a certain Holstein line ?

We're really busy committed to saving wild species, but what about domesticated ones? Market forces will push out everything except the top producers, and we will loose a viable genetic gene pool in many species.

Just another thought on the internet super highway.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I totally see your point, but diet and life span are linked!fair enough there is no denying that a lot of our current extended lifespan is due to better sanitation but you cant say cause you eat all natural foods its healthier, thats why in all the health food ads if you pay attention they all say that they might be healthier for ya, its just a way to get more money off of ya! A bit like man made global warming, and the so called natural products are not natural or organic(which only means it was grown in the ground, has nothing to do with whats sprayed on it) they all come from the same field thats sprayed with poisons and chemicals, which are not needed with GM food!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Maybe in America but you would not believe the stuff farmers have to do to keep track of meat in Ireland, in fact all European meat as far as i no has to be DNA tracable back to the stall it was born in and what it had for dinner on its last day and what it got up to everyday in between, and there is no industry, and i mean not one single industry that has as much legislation slapped on it that genetic foods or genetic anything has attached to it!

That's true. The standards are way higher in Europe than over here in the U.S. Over here, the USDA is only too happy to cater to big business, and genomics are huge. The labelling that we do have can be misleading. Labels that promise Organic foods are often not what they claim to be. The sad truth is that most Americans don't know, and don't care to know, what they eat.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AJ Lavender

That's true. The standards are way higher in Europe than over here in the U.S. Over here, the USDA is only too happy to cater to big business, and genomics are huge. The labelling that we do have can be misleading. Labels that promise Organic foods are often not what they claim to be. The sad truth is that most Americans don't know, and don't care to know, what they eat.

Why dont ye do some lobbying or something, the U.S. system for getting anything done seems counter productive to me, but thats just cause its not the one im used to i suppose(totally off topic i no) but as for Americans not caring what they eat that would really aplly to everyone everywhere, im a student and ill tell you right now, for me the cheaper it is the better! some weeks i dont eat anything solid and just concentrate on erm...liquid intake!LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I totally see your point, but diet and life span are linked!fair enough there is no denying that a lot of our current extended lifespan is due to better sanitation but you cant say cause you eat all natural foods its healthier, thats why in all the health food ads if you pay attention they all say that they might be healthier for ya, its just a way to get more money off of ya! A bit like man made global warming, and the so called natural products are not natural or organic(which only means it was grown in the ground, has nothing to do with whats sprayed on it) they all come from the same field thats sprayed with poisons and chemicals, which are not needed with GM food!

Diet and lifespan are indeed linked yes, and without a doubt in america many arecheating with their socalled organic foods.

In Denmark, things work a bit different, we have very strick rules for ecological agriculture, witch basically means that ecological farms are being watched, tested and investigated over and over, to make sure they are really ecological. here is the ministries website in english
We also have very strick rules on labeling food, so as the consumer can read what is in the food, where it was grown, packed, processed and distibuted from.

In Denmark i believe an agricultural field most not be used, or rather should be left alone, in 5 years before ecological agriculture can be started on that field, and then you have to grow ecological crops for 3 years, selling them as additive croops, before you can even start to sell the croops as ecological.

It is worth noticing that in Denmark we live only 5,5 million people, so it is much easier to control the farmers in our little country.

But you should ask your doctor, even get a second, third or however many other oppinions you want, see a nutritian expert, a dietist or whomever you trust to have knowledge on healthy eating.

I Garantee you, they will all tell you that natural food is the healthiest!

The problem with GM food is that we do not know the impact it will have on people and nature... we do know that GM croops seems to be sterile, forcing farmers to invest in new seeds every year though.

Cloned food and animals also needs to be investigated further to determine what impact it might have on people and nature.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Im Irish, so a big hail to my fellow European!LOL
You can throw all the figures and articles you want at me, much like man made climate change its just another way to get money out of you!
The biosphere is to complex to see what gm crops will do,apart from closed systems but then there not really good for the purpose of proveing that there safe in the real world!I might be proven wrong but i cant see them having negative effects, and the fact that there sterile is adesigned into them isnt it? i mean if the start growin legs and killin people you dont want em to have kids!LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I appreciate the fellow poster's concerns about genetically modified foods (and cloned ones).

I could never understand why humans always try to ruin a good thing.

We can improve the efficiency and productivity of nature, but we cannot attempt to change the basic principles of life.

We are NOT Gods (a part of God yes, but not the God if you catch my drift). We do not have the right to create life and destroy it at will although we seem to think we are the most intelligent and powerful set of beings in the universe.

I think we're due for a reality check.

...Its just about time too, we've pretty much destroyed the planet.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The potential for suffering is there. That alone makes it irresponsible to continue.

I am open to other kinds of experimentally grown meat.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm not convinced that the suffering undergone for the sake of cloning is any greater than the suffering in regular poultry or cattle farms. Some of the techniques used to maximize profits and minimize overheads are disgusting.

I love chicken and beef and the thought of going vegetarian has no appeal, but a few more documentaries about life on the pharm and I might just undergo a change of heart.

new topics

top topics

join