It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Memories Are Not Mine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have been having some experiences lately that are really starting to weird me out. I don't know if it's just me or if others are experiencing similar things. I have previously posted about having more vivid dreams / nightmares lately, but things seem to have taken a bizarre turn. Has anyone out there ever had a dream in which they have false memories of things? This may sound a little crazy, but I've had a few dreams lately in which I seem to have actual memories of things that have never happened to me. I dreamed one night that a friend and I were in his car driving down a strange road beside a chain link fence. This itself is not cause for alarm, but in my dream I have a VERY vivid memory of hitting the fence and ending up badly injured and bleeding all over the place. I remember thinking to myself (in the dream) "oh no. Here we go again" I have had other dreams also in which I also seem to have memories that are definitely not mine. Here's the question... Is the mind capable of creating false memories in dreams, or is something more going on here?

[edit on 22-1-2008 by subliminaut]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Who ever said the memories were not yours?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Be glad that sort of stuff just happens in your dreams. Stuff like that happens to me while I'm awake, sometimes it's just places I go to, other times, like when I was fishing, I'll wove a certain way and get this vivid memory of getting bit by a snake, though I hadn't been. Can be a bit disorienting at times.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I've had some pretty weird dreams like that too.

My most vivid one was about love, and I was Russian

-Will

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
THIsendsNowoldKings: What are you saying? Perhaps they are memories of a past existence? Why, then, do they include a friend from this life? Are my wires getting crossed up? I am quite certain that the memories I have experienced in my dreams are not mine. I'm pretty sure I would remember being skewered by an aluminum fence post, not to mention having the scars to remind me. While I am dreaming the memories are so clear that I just accept them as being part of me, but when I wake I know they are not from this life. At least not yet...
RuneSpider: It sounds like you are experiencing some kind of deja-vu. I encounter this quite often while awake also, and yes, it can be quite disorienting. My dream memories, however, disturb me significantly more. Deja-vu happens when your mind perceives an occuring event as having happened previously. I know none of these events in my dreams have actually happened.
Here's another question: Is it possible to experience deja-vu while dreaming?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by subliminaut

No, I mean I was out fishing, useing my net while I was out wading. I moved to the left and got this vibrant image of a snake biting my leg. I've never been bit by a snake, so it wasn't a deja vu feeling. Other times I get a what if kinda thing, where if I had done this instead of that, such and such might have happened. Generally pretty vivid.

new topics

top topics

join