It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relationship with myself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think I may be going nuts......

I feel like my friends are no longer really my friends. I feel like every time I do something I have to initiate the call to them, otherwise I'll be left out. Today I was interested in seeing a movie with a group of people, and when I called to ask the time, I never got a call back, or a confirmation of the invite.

I feel like every time I do get called it's because someone wants something from me. Last week a friend for years called me out of the blue, and for the first time in a month, although he lives right in town, to sell me an XBox 360. He needed the money and knew I had it to spend.

After that, another friend called me to do this tavern trivia thing. I have the sneaking suspicion that he invited me because I'm smart and can help him win the top prize.

Am I going completely nuts? Have I given up my real life friends for friends I've met on the internet? Have I lost all social abilities to the point where I said or did something that had further reaching effects than I thought, or have I slowly but surely been distancing myself from the people I care about?

That's it... I'm nuts!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I posted a thread like this about a week ago, so I know what you are going through. I Have learned that it's best to have on or two good friends you can count on than to have many friends you may not be able to get a hold of.

Stick in there, there are many people with friends that use them!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thanks ST...

I think my last post was made in when I was in a weird spot. I don't know if it was them or me, you know? I think I may have read too far into it and it's just my paranoia peeking out again.

How do I know? Well I did the trivia thing with my friend and even though we lost miserably we still had a good time and enjoyed each other's company.

Thanks for the words though.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It's easy to take people for granted. That's what it sounds like is going on for you.
If you spend a lot of time being unsocial on the internet and are part of a large group of friends, them not seeing you too much will cause them to forget you really exist.

If I were you, I would make an effort to get out and hang more. For instance, I have a friend who specifically comes over every Wednesday night after work. He usually doesn't even get here until 11pm or so. We all hang out and watch video game reviews on the internet, laugh, drink coffee and play Risk. It's a good time and it keeps everyone in touch.

As far as only getting phone calls when they need you for something, it happens. You have to sit down and decide if they are worth keeping around or are disposable.

I hope this helps!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

I saw the title and was going to come in a recommend some good hand creams.

BUT...

I think it's just a stage in life. As we get older and more involved with family, girlfriends, jobs, personal hobbies (see hand cream!) and stuff. We forget that everyone else is going through the same thing and think *damm nobody calls me anymore*.

People do change, like it or not. they do.

Try to be a good friend to everyone. What more can you do?

MonKey

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yeah man, I know how ya feel. I'm getting extremely anti-social and feel my friends are only using me. Like my friend Jesse, he's an independant film director that's about to go big time and the only time he calls me is when he needs me to do some special effects for a short film or something, sometimes he calls me to tell me good news about the film business. I really don't want anything to do with the film business anymore, I wanna do missionary work, help people ya know. Back on topic though, yeah, you need to socialize, you need to talk to some real flesh and blood face to face, keeps you human, keeps you less depressed.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
the old saying goes something like

"the more people that i meet, the more i love the company of dogs"

hey chikey, no need for hand creams or to love ones self.

theres robots to do that for us now

its enough to turn a guy into an alco' :w:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Time changes friendships, I have a collection of friends that are few in number and oftentimes go through extended periods of not having any contact with one another. For us this is normal but when we get together and go out it is always an adventure. The thing to keep in mind here is other people are going through stuff to, but it probably wouldnt hurt to get off the computer and more socially active een if you have to do it by yourself. I have always felt that while the internet is a great medium for meeting people, it simply doesn't beat actual interaction with live peopel you can see and touch.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Quality over quantity in my opinion.Also many people never learn the difference between a friend and an acquaintance. Friends are there for you no matter what happens in each others lives no matter how ugly or terrible or miserable it is, you are there for each other.If you find a handful of people this devoted to you, then you are truly lucky.You could always get a dog, they are more loyal and amazing than most people.

top topics

join