It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish Foreign Minister: "Iran cannot be stopped militarily"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Swedish Foreign Minister: "Iran cannot be stopped militarily"

www.jpost.com

"A military option doesn't exist. You can only delay" Iranian nuclear armament through military means, according to Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt, speaking to journalists Tuesday on the sidelines of the Herzliya Conference.

Asked if the world could live with a nuclear Iran, he replied with the question, "Can you stop it? The only way we can be certain of succeeding is an agreement with Iran that's verifiable. Military options won't do the trick."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
And just plainly, and logically, he's absolutely right. Especially about this:

According to Bildt, the world sees a "virtual collapse of the Gazan economy" with recent Israeli cuts to the strip's fuel supply. He warned that "Israel will be seen in the eyes of the world as responsible for a humanitarian disaster." Even if Israel tries to end its responsibility for the Gaza Strip, "you can't get rid of responsibility for access" to the Strip, Bildt said.

'responsibility for access'

That is the question.

Responsibility to humanity first, access second. And perhaps, no access at all.

Isn't it time that the world stops asking "who's going to attack who" and starts asking "who's going to HELP who" ? I mean Jesus, there are a lot of people, and I'm talking millions, and more likely billions, of people in real trouble that need help, not bombs. And nobody gives a crap.

'responsibility for access'

It all comes down to that.

edit:spelling

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-1-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Iran is not afraid of America. Iran has China and Russia.
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

does anyone pay attention to me on the board?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

NO!!!!
Just kidding, You asked for it. They may not be afraid however they should be. We could bomb them back to the stone age before Russia and China could even think up a plan to stop us. Our air force and navy are massive and can hit hard at a moments notice. It would not be shock and awe, It would be Oh snap!!! However I don't think its going to happen unless Iran does something really stupid.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It won't matter who's allied with Iran, the US doesn't have the manpower to do anything about Iran. They're already sending injured soldiers back to Iraq.

Israel can't afford to make themselves look worse than they already are to their neighbors.

Attacking Iran will deliver one message to the rest of the middle east, "We're next".

I can assure you, whatever differences may be keeping them apart at the moment won't exist after they come to THAT realization.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Agreed. I believe the "loose" ties with the SCO is an absolute failsafe for Iran. We're not going in, especially not with the 2 billion dollar pipeline that China is currently building. Israel's failed attempts at rallying support for this war has gone from outrageous to annoying, annoying to pathetic. Looks like things are about to become a little more "fair" in the region, huh?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The US can make up any threat and war with it. We do it all the time. Expect villanization of every aspect of Iranian life. We want the oil, that is all.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
lol, it appears to me so far that not one of you has read the article and grasped what this is about. The article is saying that to strike Iran would not work in the long run to stop them from obtaining nuclear weapons. It is not saying that Iran has an unbeatable military.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

NO!!!!

thanks for the confirmation. ha! ha! ha!

Iran does something really stupid.

Iran is jabbing at us. i've lived in Shiraz. they have hated us since 1948. i think we would be blown up first.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

No, we realize what the original document was speaking about. We're not stupid. This is just the path the thread has taken at this time. We will discuss other aspects of the document later.

Don't expect everyone to say what you want them to say. If you have that mindset, perhaps online discussion just isn't for you.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Are we gonna send the injured soldiers in?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
OP, I see how you can get frustrated with ppl running off topic of the article, it happens a lot, especially about war topics.

IDK who wrote the article but I will say it makes sense, no matter what, Iran will keep getting supplies from somebody (China, Russia? IDK).

To be honest about the whole thing, I think the world, and the US is making a bigger deal about Iran than we should be. I think we, the US, are being brainwashed slowly by the media to believe the only way to fix the world is to destroy the Muslim religion. The truth to it all be odd. Could the reason the world wants to rid of the Muslims b/cause they have no central banks? The truth can always be strange but IDK!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It is true that we cannot stop it, but we do have the physical power. The reason we cannot is that to do it we would have 10 millions of dead Iranians, and that is something we are not willing to do.

I guessin the end it will all come down to whether they use it and doom their country to 10s of million dead if they do.

top topics

join