It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Vitamin C level linked to decreased stroke risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

High Vitamin C level linked to decreased stroke risk

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A person's level of vitamin C may predict his or her likelihood of having a stroke, according to a long-term study of some 20,000 middle-aged and older residents of Norfolk, United Kingdom.

During an average follow-up of 9.5 years, 448 strokes occurred in the study population. Researchers found that people with the highest vitamin C concentration at the start of the study had a 42 percent lower risk of stroke over 10 years compared to those with the lowest levels of vitamin C.

The protective effect of vitamin C against stroke remained after accounting for factors that could affect the risk, such as age, sex, smoking, alcohol intake, body mass index, blood pressure, cholesterol, physical activity, diabetes, prior heart attack, supplement use, and social class.

Dr. Phyo K. Myint from the University of Cambridge, UK, and colleagues report the study results in the American Journal of Nutrition.

Myint noted that the level of vitamin C in the blood is a "good biomarker of fruit and vegetable consumption, which have many nutrients that may be biologically active and protective for stroke; this study supports the existing body of evidence that indicates the high fruit and vegetable consumption is protective for stroke."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't need to be convinced on the efficiency of vitamin C to improve overall health. I have been taking C supplements for years, and I very rarely, if ever, need to go to the doctors office. I think it is a key component to take in daily for optimum longevity and health.

These findings just further prove it.

I'm sure the pharmaceutical industry isn't thrilled about hearing it though. lol

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Its a great thing I have those 'Emergen-C' packets for when I go hiking.

Fruits and veggies are part of a healthy diet, eh? No more red meat
not that I eat it anyway.

Omegas are also great for health and they're in a wide variety of foods.

Its not the best idea to take vitamin supplements as usually your body can't metabolize much of the nutrients. However, if you eat the right diet you can be sure to be plenty healthy.

Thanks for the information DD. I'll be sure to continue my food regimen.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
sure to continue my food regimen.

Don't forget a small amount of alcohol for heart benefits... I know! Let's drink a scrwedriver to that!
Some vitamin C for you ...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think the benefits of alcohol are pretty much limited to hops and red wine. Then again, I'm no food freak and don't really drink often at all.

Everything in moderation...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yes I use it because it also helps with high cholesterol, I am sick and tired of my doctor trying to push the stain drugs on me when she knows how sensitve I am with this garbage drugs.

This drugs are killing people and making handicap many of their users.

So I am experimenting with omega 3, CQ 10 and about three thousand miligrams of vitamin C.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yeah, it's pretty amazing that broccoli combats literally every major disease plaguing us today, yet I don't know of too many Doctors telling their patients to try eating volumous amounts of broccoli daily for health. More often than not, they seem to rather prefer writing a prescription for some drug out.

Broccoli = anti cancer / anti high cholesterol

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
In more related Vitamin and Health news...

Vitamin E may ward off physical decline in elderly

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vitamin E may help elderly people keep their vim and vigor, researchers said on Tuesday.

The researchers measured levels of certain vitamins in the blood of 698 people ages 65 and up in Italy, and then used three tests -- a short walk, balance and standing up from a seated position -- to gauge their physical functioning.

They found that volunteers with lower levels of vitamin E performed worse on these physical tests than those with higher levels of the vitamin.

Levels of the other vitamins -- folate, B-6, B-12 and D -- did not seem to affect the tests, the researchers reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

"We consistently found that a low concentration of vitamin E was associated with subsequent decline in physical function," researchers led by Benedetta Bartali of Yale University School of Medicine in New Haven, Connecticut, wrote.

Poor nutrition may play a role in leading elderly people to become physically disabled, but there had been little strong evidence backing up this notion, the researchers said.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Talking about statin drugs for cholesterol control (to prevent strokes), yups, sure, there should be a much better alternative minus the side effects. (Affecting liver) Lately, I have been taking Reducol, some sort of natural medicine. Reducol Phytosterol complex (Conifer). Here is the brief description:

Reducol™ is a unique, patented blend of naturally occurring compounds found in plants known as phytosterols and phytostanols

Reducol

So I stopped taking statin drugs and started taking reducol together with Omega 3 fatty acids & garlic extract. I will be taking my next CBC next week and I am hoping for a much lower cholesterol & trygleceride levels. Having high levels of these are reportedly as one of the main factors that can lead to heart diseases & strokes.

As for Vitamin C, yups, I have been taking regularly. I am taking more than just ascorbic acid. The one that includes, citrus bioflavonoids complex, rutin, hesperedin etc. All in timed release form. Sure it helps me stay out of various sickness. In fact, there were times when I got sick like flu etc, I did not even take antibiotics. Just Vitamin C.

Red wine? yups at least 2 glasses a day and I enjoy it. Though alcohol can still affect high blood pressure, probably in a same way coffee does, which is temporarily. Yups, everything should be in moderation.

After the red wine, it is nice to sip a hot cup of green tea too which is reportedly to have a lot of health benefits.

My son still plays with his great grandfather (86 years old) and the great grandfather drinks green tea & some Vietnamese herbal wine everyday.

He is still strong and can manage to climb in the roof of our house.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the information, I am in my forties and because my mother has already problems with her hart supposedly I am a candidate even went my father now in his seventies have not problems with hart conditions of any kind and just recently was put on high blood pressure pills as a safety measure.

He even won the battler against prostate cancer.

I tried lipitor as my doctor insistence but within two week my legs and ankles became so painful I could not even stand up, then the stomach cramps started.

I dump the crap and have a discussion with my doctor that still stands behind statin drugs.

Statin drugs affects the muscles and degrade them, guess what the hart is also a muscle.

new topics

top topics

join