It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Lott says he won�t step down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Dec. 13 � Under pressure to resign as Senate Republican leader for comments that appeared to support racial segregation, Sen. Trent Lott apologized for the remarks Friday but insisted that he would not step down from his leadership post. �I�m not about to resign for an accusation that I�m something I�m not,� he told a press conference in Pascagoula, Miss.....

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 10:59 PM
link   
While I am not defending Lott, part of me is hoping in the near future the Sen. Robert Byrd, the ex-klansman, says the N word again - which he has a hard time not saying. Then we'll see a good display of liberal bias in the media and double-standards from the dems.

[Edited on 14-12-2002 by Bob88]

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I watched the Birthday deal for Strom, and I heard Lott's speech, and I didn't catch anything that was inflamatory or racial. From what I understand, segregation was not the only thing that Strom used to build his platform. It seems that there may be some definite reaching here in order to find something with which to hit the new senate majority leader.

Lott has been deal-making with the dem's the last few weeks. Hopefully the moron will see that it gained him no favors.

Regardless of whether he was referring to segregation (which I don't believe he was), I still don't like Lott a whole lott!

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 12:14 AM
link   
That's Liberals for you.

They are all Wurmtongues...if any of you have read Lord of the Ring.

A conservative says something, and the Liberals imediately twist it, and destroy it, and try to destroy you.

They are lying bastards everyone of them. They say they are for change, and fairness, but they kill all that is good.

Lott is not a bad man, nor is Bush, or Strom, but the Liberals would hang them from trees if they owned the congress.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well, someone else agrees with me bout liberals. But not all liberals are that bad. Mainly the ones in the goverment are like that.

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 12:39 PM
link   
if he was to step down i would have been very dissapointed. He isnt my favorite but i dont think anyone should be pressued like that to step down from there job due to a statement. I mean so what if he is a Klansman he was voted in there by the ppl and he has an obligation to them. How is this america if when you say something about a minority you lose your job. WHERE IS THE FREEDOM OF SPEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Who hear besides Thomas saw what Lott said? I did. I think it was blown way out of proportion my self. I can't imagine Lott was thinking in terms of segregation when he said what he said. If I gave 'props' to Thomas Jefferson or G. Washington would I be supporting slavery? Hell no. Yet we have a Klansman in our Senate that can't help saying the N word and he gets a pass because he's a dem.

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I heard it and it took some explination from the news to tell me what was soo wrong. THat lott supported that guy when he ran for pres. however many years ago and he was on a platform for segregation. I mean my GOD get a life. 1. he didnt win and it didnt happe, 2. he has the same rights as yall with freedom off speech they are all just hypocrits

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The Angry White Men have spoken!
I watched the speech.
He should stand down, it's far from an isolated incident: He and Bob Barr where chastized for speaking at Council of Conservative Citizens meetings. The CCC is formerly the White Citizens Council, the white collar Klan as they were loosely known.
He wrote briefs and petitions on behalf of Bob Jones University so they wouldn't lose their tax exempt status. BJU does not allow interacial dating.
He made the same exact speech 20 years ago. He has said repeatedly that he admires the most and finds himself the closest, politically, to Jefferson Davis.
He fought intergration of his fraternity at Ole Miss.
The sole paltform issue of Strom Thurmond's 1948 campaign was to keep segregation.
Republicans and Democrats play the race card: Dems to blacks, Repubs to whites.
He's a rotten Senator, nothing but a partisan whore at his best, and bad for the country. I'd much rather see someone everybody could respect like Richard Shelby or Arlene Spectrer.
That folks like Lott & Bryd are still in our 21st century USC, is a shame to us all. Let the guy keep his gig, the people of his state voted him in, that's their issue to handle as they see fit, but he shouldn't be Senate Leader ( and I thought that before he slipped and let his rascist colors show again!)

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 01:57 PM
link   
SO he should step down because of his views. because they insulted someone. I am by no means a racist but OMG im sick of the voice of the MINORITY running teh country. SOmeone says saomehing that insults a % of the country then he steps down even if the majority like him that is bs and not what america is!

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What he said didn't hint at racism, BT. And if you want to call Lott on his past than you should call Byrd on his past also, and Byrd past is terrible. Council of Conservative Citizens? geez, bt. You'll have to do better than that. Has he done anything as Senator you feel is racist? Any legislation? ANYTHING?

And I honestly don't care much for Lott - I just think the dems are making too big a deal out of this and at this point, being the weak party they are, will take what they can get.

[Edited on 14-12-2002 by Bob88]

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Quicksilver - the guy is in a position as Senate Leader to channel judge appointments and direct laws that govern racial equality. If he is predisposed to a rascist viewpoint, he should'nt be in that position. Again, keep his senate seat, just not leader.
Minorities running the country!?!? I've been in ten meetings so far this month, Director level and 'C' levels only.....4 minority faces, 3 female....yeah they run things!!!
"My state voted for Thurmond, and we were proud of it. If he had been elected, we would not have any of the problems we have today"
A man who ran on SEGREGATION ONLY, if he would have won...what? No civil rights, no affirmative action?
Bob, are you THAT white!?!?!

What don't you get about the former White Citizens Council?

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Read my first post....I said having Byrd in our 21st Century Congress is an embarassment.
Republicans are screwed in a couple of ways:
1) Keep him, kiss the in road to minority votes good bye
Dems will hang ya on it.
2) Cut him, he says he'll resign the senate, leaving the Democrat Gov. of Miss. to appoint a senator as his replacement.....and I don't think it'll be from the GOP!

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The "States Rights Democrats", or Dixiecrats as it were sometimes called, was a party formed due to the rift in the democratic party over Roosevelt's continued policy of expanding the perogatives of the central government. The civil rights program was merely part of the problem.
To the casual observer of today, a large federal government and 50 subservient state governments might seem how it is suppose to be, but that is not how it was intended nor is it right. Had Strom won, things would have indeed been better, for the White as well as the Black.
As far as the racism, it would have worked itself out better had the Black population had been allowed to assimilate naturally as every other group did. Still, some are excelling quite nicely, even though the creations of government interferance erfer to them as Uncle Tom's.

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I strongly disagree. You paint far too noble a face on an issue that was visceral; whites did not get out the vote on high level intellectualism on the proper interpretation of the Constitution or Articles of Confederation.
Nor was Strom mincing words:
"I want to tell you, ladies and gentleman, that there`s not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the Nigger race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches."

He's your home boy and I like him allot, what's your take on Richard Shelby? I think he'd do a far better job than Lott.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I don't know if Shelby has the experience for such a job. On the other hand, maybe lack of experience is a plus.
He just might be the man for the job, B-T, but then again, he might turn out to be a disappointment as well, and as disappointed as I've been in the Shrub, lately, I need no more heaped on.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Is Sen. Nickels really concerned about Lott's effectiveness, or is he really looking for the position himself? The Republicans could really learn alot about circling the wagons around their own from the Democrats. They circled the wagons around Clinton to their own detriment when he was not worthy of their support, and here we see the Republicans allowing the wolves to attack their own camp over twisted words and assumptions of meanings. Even their own is attacking. Sad.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Shelby is a class act; too many politicians, like Lott, are experienced more at political maneuvering more so than serving the folks who elected them. I think there is to much jockeying toward the next vote at the expense of serving clear & present needs....things don't have to move at turtle pace all the time.
Remember my prediction back around Nov.6 where I said that you'll see Republican defections over a too strong and too quickly Rightward shift? Nickeles comment is part of that. The hard Right shift is going to do to too many Republican politicans something they can't juggle: Stand the party line, and lose the next election or go maverick and keep their district happy.
Any GOP'er who won a close one is in serious danger by keeping in line with Lott come next election.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The liberals come out swing as usual..what a load of garbage..if Lott goes there is a huge list of Dem, that should also pack there stuff and head out as well..starting with Kenndy..does any one remeber the Kenbick bay(sp) he killed a person..but no call for him..how shameful is that!

Boomslang

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 07:03 PM
link   
whether Nickles, Lott, the Black Caucus or whoever... it isn't as if they're up there really trying to lead and make america a better place....

but you gotta appreciate the american public and the ever present small businessman tking advantage of this one... check out the shirt at boffensive.com that reads, "Trent Lott for Grand Wizard 2004"....

www.boffensive.com...

Ha Ha Ha... every last individual out for themselves...

[Edited on 17-12-2002 by johnnymo]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join