It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules NY town violates Voting Rights Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Judge rules NY town violates Voting Rights Act

www.reuters.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. judge ruled a New York town's election system denies equal participation for Hispanics in violation of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the landmark law associated with the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Robinson's order, dated January 17 and released by federal officials on Tuesday, directed the Village of Port Chester to rewrite its election laws because they have denied Hispanics a seat in the local government.

Hispanics make up 46 percent of Port Chester's population but no Hispanic has been elected to the board governing the village of 28,000 people some 25 miles north of New York City.

Latin American immigrants have flocked to Port Chester in recent years, seeking work in the affluent suburbs of Westchester County.

The U.S. Justice Department had sued the village but the all-white board of trustees refused to change its "at-large" system under which the board of trustees is elected by a village-wide vote rather than by districts, which would improve the chances of a Hispanic getting elected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Jeez...Hispanics make up nearly half of the villages population, but have never had a single hispanic representative hold a seat in the local government. I can see not allowing illegals a say, but legals should have a voice IMHO.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I agree if someone is here legally then they should have a say. But I wonder how many of the "immigrants" they site are actually ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS? The media seems to like to leave the illegal part out too often when talking about immigrants, that are not here legally.

new topics

join