It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auction of key airwaves begin Thursday: Monopolizations Inevitable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Auction of key airwaves begin Thursday: Monopolizations Inevitable?

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Bidding begins on Thursday in a crucial auction of government-owned airwaves that is expected to help set the future course of the U.S. telecommunications business.

Companies ranging from AT&T Inc and Verizon Wireless, to possible new competitors like Internet company Google Inc, EchoStar Communications Corp and Cablevision Systems Corp will be able to snap up some of the last remaining wireless spectrum and perhaps use it for a new generation of wireless broadband and other advanced services.

"This spectrum is probably the last spectrum (to be offered) for the foreseeable future," said Tole Hart, an analyst with Gartner Group. "So it's kind of the last crack at the apple."

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc and Vodafone Group Plc.

Although the flagging economy could crimp some bidders, the FCC has high hopes for the airwaves auction. The sale is seen as a way to spur more competition in the wireless business, create a new network that can be used by public safety agencies and rake in as much as $10 billion into the federal treasury.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Now the FCC sees this as a positive thing, but I'm not so sure. Anytime I see these monstro-corporations power-grabbing, it makes me uneasy. You get monopolies that literally can do anything they want to the end-use consumers, and do so uncontested.

This is pretty big news IMO, as it effects our entire telecommunications future....

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

sty

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
how in the world can you sell airwaves ? i guess they will end up selling parallel universes !

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

How in the world can you own food, water, and land? That's an equally incredible and ridiculous thing.

DD, I've covered a similar topic on ATS. AT&T wanted to censor the internet, then the spy chief wanted to, etc etc.

The rights for the airwaves is a way to inhibit growth of competition and ensure a monopoly.

We think we live in a democracy, ha. What a freaking joke.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Agreed. And notice how the FCC is the one regulating the sales. How much do you want to bet that whatever company power grabs the entire industry will be in bed with the gov?

Then the privacy issues will be magnified once again...

Not good.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
First bids being reported, totalling 2.4 billion so far. The FCC is HIDING who the bidders are! LOL

www.reuters.com...

top topics

join