It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congo War-driven crisis kills 45,000 people per month: Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Congo War-driven crisis kills 45,000 people per month: Study

www.reuters.com

KINSHASA (Reuters) - War, disease and malnutrition are killing 45,000 Congolese every month in a conflict-driven humanitarian crisis that has claimed 5.4 million victims in nearly a decade, a survey released on Tuesday said.

The International Rescue Committee (IRC), which carried out the study with Australia's Burnet Institute, said Democratic Republic of Congo's 1998-2003 war and its aftermath had caused more deaths than any other conflict since World War Two.

"Congo's loss is equivalent to the entire population of Denmark or the state of Colorado perishing within a decade," George Rupp, president of the aid group, said in a statement.

The findings were published on the day Congo's government and warring eastern rebel and militia factions were due to sign a ceasefire in the hope of halting fighting in the east which has raged on since the nominal end of the 1998-2003 war.

Rupp said that although Congo's war formally ended five years ago, "ongoing strife and poverty continue to take a staggering toll". "The conflict and its aftermath, in terms of fatalities, surpass any other since World War II," he added.

Malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia and malnutrition, aggravated by conflict, were the top killers in Congo, the survey said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What a mess. That is a staggering figure of death. I'm suprised that the UN has not tried to put this at the forefront of issues. These people seriously are in a bad way, even with all the destruction taking place in the ME.

All of this saddens me.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yes, Africa needs as much help as she can get.

How incredibly sad. 45,000 people per month is just a drop in the bucket for what is going on across the whole continent. I feel so sad for everyone.

While we spend $1 billion dollars per day fighting this war on terror, Al-Qaeda continues to grow stronger, and Africa is being completely ignored.

How sad.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Moved my post from the other thread

Originally posted by Fada126
WOW. What is being done to aleviate this? This is worse than any dictator and yet you dont see America sending 100,000 troops!I mean WOW!Any thoughts?Or is it that there isn enough money in the Congo? [/qutoe]

WOW, maybe your country should send in the troops.

If you look back at Somalia the US role was a very limited one to protect the food supplies and get it to the suffering. Well the people there didn’t like that so basically all of them were against the US. Once the US left they went back to their personal wars and genocides.

The Congo is an even worst place than Somalia.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Simply appauling. I haven't heard this covered ONCE in the news.

The only reason we even heard about Darfur was due to the number of humanitarians demanding it be covered. For the longest time (and still, now) it has been brushed under the rug with britney spears stories etc.

The worst thing that comes to mind when I hear about all the tragedy in Africa is how the U.N. has been traced to it over and over, traficking people, murdering communities, starving entire villages out etc. The UN is a BIG part of Africas downfall.

It's as simple as this: take the land, kill the people, refuse to allow them to fend for or feed themselves, send out food rations to be highjacked by warlords: fighting continues indefinitely.

The same plan is carried out all over Africa.

new topics

top topics

join