It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving Tanzanian refugees eating chimps, endangered species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Starving Tanzanian refugees eating chimps, endangered species

www.reuters.com

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Hungry refugees in Tanzania are eating chimpanzees and other endangered species in order to supplement their meager diet, international conservation group Traffic said on Tuesday.

It said refugees living near national parks in northwestern Tanzania were also illegally hunting buffalo, topi, eland, elephant and waterbuck.

In neighboring Kenya, aid and conservation groups said refugee camps housing thousands of people who fled violence after disputed December 27 were damaging the environment, as displaced people chopped down trees for firewood.

Camps such as the Show Ground site in Eldoret -- currently hosting 11,200 people -- could cause "significant environmental damage," Jemini Pandya, a spokeswoman for the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), told reporters in Geneva.

"IOM will try and protect the areas around camps in Rift Valley Province through the rebedding of saplings and plants in other areas until the crisis is over," she said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Man, what a terrible situation. I feel bad for the chimps, and equally bad for the people who are in such a desperate situation for any type of food. Sad that things like this are still taking place all over the world in this day and age.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I don't blame them if I was starving I would eat what ever I could find as well. All i see here is an attempt for some to say you can't eat them tey are protected. I was once in the Smoky Mountain World biosphere whatever and enjoyin a good portion of fresh caught snake. Along comes a ranger and tells me he should arrest me for eating a protected species. I said he bit me first, and then claimed that it wasn't protected enough to not get caught. What is this world comig to when a man can't fill his stomach because he is hungry.

respectfully
reluctantpawn

new topics

join