It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google-funded firm launches DNA test in Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Google-funded firm launches DNA test in Europe

www.reuters.com

A private firm funded by Google Inc launched its Web-based DNA test in Europe on Tuesday, hoping to build on a successful start in the United States, where the $999 service went on sale in November.
Linda Avey and Anne Wojcicki, co-founders of 23andMe, will showcase their service at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, which starts on January 23.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Additional News Sources:
Many gene tests a waste of money: experts
Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Global elite head for Davos to attend the World Economic Forum

[edit on 1/22/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Its very convenient that the founders will showcase their new technology at the WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM. Does this sound a little suspicious to anyone?

It looks like Google wants to have all the European DNA under one roof. Well you're not getting mine ya bastards.

Subscribers to 23andMe mail a saliva sample and, four to six weeks later, get the results online, allowing them to learn about inherited traits, their ancestry and -- probably with the help of a professional -- some of their personal disease risks.

Yes...and will now be able to make a clone of you to be used for organ donation to a select few...

"We are receiving overwhelming interest in our services outside the U.S. and are pleased to now offer them in Canada and Europe. We hope to continue to expand our global footprint to additional locations in the future."

They hope to expand their global footprint, how nice. I am sure they'd like to be able to take samples of DNA from all of us and put it into a nice little catalogue.

I may be paranoid, but this sort of thing has a huge potential for abuse. Where is the oversight?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/22/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I wasn't going to say anything, because the OP said it all already.

But I just can't help myself:

Let the 'tagging' begins!

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

These sorts of stories lead me to believe as a society we're heading in exactly the wrong direction.

What makes me cringe is the fact that we are conditioned from birth that 'the government is your friend.'

I've never personally believed that anyone saying one thing and doing another is my friend. I do tend to lie on the paranoid side, but its saved my life quite a few times in the past.

Hm...A giant catalogue of DNA...What kind of thing could this be used for?

Great good, and great evil. Which side do you think humans so far have been leaning?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by Sator

Hm...A giant catalogue of DNA...What kind of thing could this be used for?

Great good, and great evil. Which side do you think humans so far have been leaning?

I feel you...

...and you're right. These kind of things can be used for a great good or a great evil. But it's not very hard to figure out which is going to happen about this one, right?

From where I'm standing, there's no reason to believe it's going to be for OUR good, anyway.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join