It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Safe Ebola' created for research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

'Safe Ebola' created for research

news.bbc.co.uk

Taking a single gene from the virus stops it replicating, US scientists wrote in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences journal.

Ebola, currently handled in highly secure labs, kills up to 80% of those it infects.

However, one expert said the new method may not yet be a fail-safe way of dealing with the virus.

Professor Susan Fisher-Hoch, at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
She said that she would need to see more proof that the modified virus could do no harm.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I don't think that I am happy about this. Creating a genetically altered form of Ebola.

While one expert says it is safe, another says she needs to see more proof.

Stories like this worry me. What if they accidentally create a super strain of the virus?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

A good rule of thumb is the more virulent the virus, the easier it can mutate. To create a non-replicating form of ebola is actually a large advance.

Really, with an 80+% kill rate already, it's hard to image they could create anything worse.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Something worse would be airborne and alive at 0 degrees, hidden in your system for a month allowing you to spread it and then killing 100% of people within 1 month, so that you'd keep fighting for them in vain.

anyways safe-ebola = oxymoron

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I don't know how we get off on thinking playing with deadly viruses and bacterium.

We should leave the past behind us. Humans have already 'beat' a few diseases as a species. Now we're trying to figure out how to manipulate microbials and we have no idea the outcome.

This kind of fringe science is not benefitting anyone. Try to create a new killer strain...

Sounds like AIDS all over again. One unfortunate mutation and we're all dead.

top topics

join