It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret societies for women/ secret sisterhoods.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
it cerainly would make more sense to make the rapist disappear

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I do find it interesting that most secret societies really are only all about the men.. Considering that women generally have much stronger bonds with other women than men do with men, it's surprising that the vast majority of secrets are restricted to men. What is it that women are not allowed to know?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
Considering that women generally have much stronger bonds with other women than men do with men, it's surprising that the vast majority of secrets are restricted to men.

I don't believe that for a second. I don't know who said it but "a misogynist is a man who accomplishes the feat of hating women more than they hate each other."

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by azhure heart
it cerainly would make more sense to make the rapist disappear

I will say though, I love the story. It has all the makings of a new urban legend.

Most urban legends are essentially morality/cautionary tales of the modern era. Whereas in days past we told our children not to go into the forest, where they could get lost, become injured, or hurt by a wild animal, because monsters or faeries lurk out there, we tell them stories like "the Hook." The point of "the Hook" is to scare young ladies into not go parking with their boyfriend. Not because there is an actual hook-handed killer lurking, but because if you do, your boyfriend will leave you, and you'll look like a slut (all of which happen, allegorically).

The "Daughters of Diana" is almost in the same vein. It is a warning to young men not to pick up strange women, and a warning to those with less-than-noble motives that they are being watched, and there may be repurcussions for their actions. The prison in "Daughters of Diana" are literal and figurative. Even if the man doesn't actually rape one of these girls, recreational-procreation can lead to all sorts of outcomes, including disease or pregnancy, which can be prisons of their own sorts.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by SaviorComplex]

[edit on 31-1-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I may be going out on a limb here but I want to restate that it isn't that there is a lack of sisterhoods or societies that are based on the feminine, I believe that even the male societies will admit that the female secret societies are driven underground by the patriarcial society that became predominant when females powers were feared by men.

It is a fact that woman holds the key to the secret knowledge and perhaps the men have attempted to steal them or to hide the truth so that they could hold complete power.

Problem is it is a balanced system, there are two halves to complete the manifestation of "the work"

The female sisterhoods had to go deeply underground for the men feared us.

Let me quote a Mason relative who I asked this question about woman.

He said "would you keep your most precious jewel just laying around or would you keep it in a safe hidden place to protect it from harm?"

I wasn't sure what to make of it, what do you think about that statement Masons?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Come on guys.

Am I asking something that isn't allowed to be discussed?

I would have at least expected a response from Masonic Light who I respect as a fair and unbiasied historian of Masonic Lore

Will no one touch this one???

Cug

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I may be going out on a limb here but I want to restate that it isn't that there is a lack of sisterhoods or societies that are based on the feminine, I believe that even the male societies will admit that the female secret societies are driven underground by the patriarcial society that became predominant when females powers were feared by men.

MMMMM I would not say they were driven underground but rather they were minimized in importance by the larger misogynistic society. So instead of becoming groups with secrets somehow controlling the world, they were branded witches in league with the devil (a male figure controlling them).

That being said... women have played a large roles in the more esoteric/occult societies from about the time of the occult revival in the late 1800's. Madame Blavatsky and the Theosophical Society is probably the best example, however groups like The Golden Dawn, B.O.T.A., The O.T.O. have a long history of important women in their histories.

And we must not forget the large role the feminine plays in the neo-pagan/wiccan communities. But again we have the misogynistic viewpoint that they are nothing but tree hugging hippies and not "threat" that need to be driven underground.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
MMMMM I would not say they were driven underground but rather they were minimized in importance by the larger misogynistic society. So instead of becoming groups with secrets somehow controlling the world, they were branded witches in league with the devil (a male figure controlling them).

I disagree with that. Society as a whole isn't misogynistic. Wars are fought for chicks. Spoils of war are used to impress chicks. It's also generally accepted that it's "women and children first" rather than "get the hell out of my way." Chivalry ... well, the word exists for a reason.

There's a reason that there are more words to describe women than there are to describe men.

That being said... women have played a large roles in the more esoteric/occult societies from about the time of the occult revival in the late 1800's. Madame Blavatsky and the Theosophical Society is probably the best example, however groups like The Golden Dawn, B.O.T.A., The O.T.O. have a long history of important women in their histories.

And we must not forget the large role the feminine plays in the neo-pagan/wiccan communities. But again we have the misogynistic viewpoint that they are nothing but tree hugging hippies and not "threat" that need to be driven underground.

Again, You start off with good points, but you fall down when you claim prejudice against women. I do not believe that there is any such thing. And there are sisterhoods and societies that are specifically geared towards women. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. But that doesn't mean that they don't exist, it just means that they're secret. At least to me.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

There are two poles of experience, two avenues to source energy, the male and the female. In the Old Religion the Goddess had a male counterpart who was not a father but a sexual partner. He was imagined in the image of an earth-based, lunar male energy, named Shiva, Dionysus, Adonis, and finally Jesus. The female had a direct link with the Goddess, and with female source energywhere we reconnect with the Goddess, the deep Feminine, the underground source of female empowerment and expression.

We were once deeply rotted in that place, expressing power and sexuality from there without any splitting. That's the unambiguous wholeness we see in the ancient female figurines. We were snake and bird, earth and sky, body and spirit. We could invite the male into that place for an encounter, and he came. And even now, from that sacred enclosure, as a priestess, when I perform the magical rites of the ancient deep Feminine, I can initiate and heal the male though his simple encounter with he there.

Source
www.awakenedwoman.com...

It seems that as far as "sisterhoods" or "highpriestess" are very much directly connected to the sexuality or women which is still frowned on in some judgemental value systems.

Perhaps that is why it isn't spoken of more.
Here is the first line of text I quoted above. I feel the simplicity of those words to carry much truth

There are two poles of experience, two avenues to source energy, the male and the female

This type of statement is what makes me feel there to be a missing piece of the puzzle, if in fact most teachings would have been taught through songs and stories I would imagine and with the persecutin, the inquisition, which I didn't want to bring up in this thread but I think it needs be be pondered.

But most prominently the book declared in no uncertain terms that any woman who was successful at healing was by definition a witch and would be burned. Children were forced to watch their mothers burn at the stake, and women were routinely raped, violated and tortured until they confessed to anything the Inquisitors accused them of.

This may be slightly intimidating for families operating as healers in thier community.
Another example of the male/doctor (sometimes) happens to think it is perfectly acceptable to schedule 3 deliveries on a friday afternoon so he doesn't have to be inconvienienced while he is golfing. The doctors do not even seem to think is natural to have your child "naturally" these days just cut the mothers stomack pull out the baby close back up and his work is finished and he just made twice as much as a natural delivery.

I am exluding this in my post because there becomes an economical agenda behind eliminating the healers and the medicine men were basically shut down to.

Women used to do things like going to knitting circles or make quilts and such on a regular basis. These may have been ways to keep traditions alive, but with the destruction of the family structure in general we really need to put ourselves in check and balance and work together in a truthful manner so all can have opportunity to express the "inherent value" that is part of our package.

I don't believe the pagan/wicca path is the only truth but at least in taking the time to come together to honor the feminine in any form is attempting to create balance between the polarity.

Songs, rhymes, and fairytales are another way to convey important truths.

IMO the woman has the snake as her companion and the snake, or feathered snake could be the ticket to allow your consciousness to be set free after so many years of surpression. YOu see undulation can make its way through the circles and square and could well be the way to get out of this state of being trapped in a state of being that is full of so many questons yet provides so little answer

'sorry guys i am tired and rambling, hope I made a little sense!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Text

Good Point !

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join