It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else noticed increased police presence in their cities?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonSays

I got you beat, I live in a town of 710. And our cop is a part timer that only turns out when it's payday. He's the last mayor's nephew, and this was the only job he could get because everybody knows how lazy he is.

And it suits me fine.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

ROFLMAO
now that's funny stuff

I use to live in a town of 400 and there wasn't any police at all
the sheriff dept had to cover the territory. So I know all too well
about small towns. I like it here cuz there's a couple burger joints
down the road a few miles. where I use to live I had to drive
8 miles to get a burger. so 2700 has a few advantages. LOL

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
You know all the debate over traffic enforcment is a mute point, you make it sound like driving is a right, it's not it is a privilage. And as far as police cracking down on people breaking traffic laws such as speeding and U turns. I have had to many relatives, and a few close calls myself of arrogant A Holes that get behind the wheel of a car, and act like they have a right to go as fast as they want. As far as I am condcerned Vehicular Homicide penelties are to leniant, and should be up to the same as if a person is convicted of manslaughter.

Now lets stop whineing about the traffic tickets you got and all the sily justifications about how the radar wasn't callibrated and talk about the "why" police presence is so high.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I live in stamford CT, im about 45 minutes, from NYC....a suburban city, trying to become like a rich NYC....
I too have noticed polic activity building up here, past few months. IM a lifelong resident here. Here in CT, the 'new' state law, wnats us ALL to were our seatrbelts...thats the headlines. It amazes me, thier so worried about us not wearing our seatbelts, while thiers rape , burglaries, and murder going on..simply amazing...
ABout 3 weeks ago, around 8 45 pm, i was on my way to work, and stopped at a 24 hour CITGO station...where i get my coffee ect. coming out, an older cop pulled in, on his cell phone, parked his car next to mine, and sat thier idling... getting into my car, he looked at me, on his cell, and started laughing in the most horrific way, a sick evil laugh, thought it was very odd. then his laughing got louder and louder... i feel somehow it was inteded for me.
HEre in CT, they LOVE seting up checkpoints, and once your in it, thiers no turning back... nearly impossible to turn around, and if you do, they will simply call for backup to follow you until pulled over.
Nice to see, where my tax money is going: (

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

....you make it sound like driving is a right, it's not it is a privilage
Source?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Torlough

Not trying to ruffle feathers, but I have a problem with the whole idea of "privilege" in these things. That mindset puts Big Brother in the position of being the "God Factor" in all of our lives. It grants far more than is commonly thought, because one who gives a privilege is greater than one who receives a privilege. It assumes that "government" by virtue of it's might/force can give and withhold whatever it choses.

How about if for the greater good, as decided by someone with a pen and some free time at a desk in some warren in D.C., a law was passed that only those who deserved it should be allowed to move in public at all? Until some governing body granted you the "privilege" of free travel, you would have to work and shop and whatever from the confines of your own home. You would have to pass a test to be considered for travel status, and a travel permit issued.

This would cut down on crime of all sorts. And maybe the penalty for breaking this rule should be as harsh as possible, like long prison sentences to get you used to staying in a controlled area all the time. (A re-education, as it were.) This would make all the state loving zombies safer for sure.

Now look at the middle of the 20th century and see how nations that actually did this faired. How much their citizens enjoyed those utopias? How would you like living in the old USSR?

When you recognize the right of one section or group in a society to bestow rights and privileges, you're only a few steps from feeling free to tip your hat to your betters and call them "Master" without meeting their eyes.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Theres been a big increase in police presence here in London over the past few months.
Just before Christmas i got stopped and searched TWICE in one night under some terrorism act bull.
What significance does this have on a global scale though?
Recently theres been significant problems with youth crime and youth on youth violence and I presumed it was just a response to that. Not to mention the ongoing 'high threat' from terrorism which is bull but I guess some people believe it.

[edit on 25/1/08 by PeaceUk]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I Have several police on my street assisting utilty work. I live in New Haven Ct. I have definitely notice increased activity in the last two weeks.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I lve in gulfport, ms. About every fifteen minutes, a squad car rolls down my street. What are more than just rumors are, alot of them on the force go down crack alley behind my house, score dope and prostitutes, take bribes and arrest those who are not guilty. My stepson got stopped daily just for walking down the street about 6 mo. ago. Our taxes could go to other things rather than about 5 squad cars per street! Our taxes could also be funding approppriate arrests too, instead of trumped up charges on innocent citizens.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
OK, I drove home fromthe hospital to feed dogs and cats and assorted other critters that claim my time and money as there own. I paid attention to my surroundings very closely and here is what I found while driving 32 miles from a city of 85.000 to one of 700+:

(To the tune of the 'Twelve Days of Christmas)

Five county boys cruising,
Four city cops a sleeping,
Three troopers watching,
Two unmarkeds a hiding,
And a lone dogcatcher working tirelessly.

So that is my report on the increased police presence in America.

Seriously, considering that I live in Nowhere Central USA, that is a lot. It's true, though to keep myself from being bored on the drive I made up the part about what they were doing so as to fit my rather skewed mindset. Forgive me for taking a small license with fact.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

How about any state driving manual, prior to you taking the test....you didnt read it did you?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A lie repeated often enough is still a lie. That "driving is a privelige, not a right" nonsense was just something that some gub'mint pogue came up with and it has been repeated ad naseum. It's not in the constitution, and it not in any law. If it appears in any driver's manual than there is no legal source for such a statement. In our country not driving is equivalent to not moving, especially in rural areas. An increasing number of our rights are slowly becoming "priveliges" if you haven't noticed.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I mentioned in an earlier post the military choppers flying low over my house the other night.

Of course we lie on a nearly direct path between Camp Pendleton and the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center - Twentynine Palms, so that wold explain the flights in general.

Maybe my perception is influenced by this thread but it really seems like the overflight activity has been increased of late.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I work for a municipality in Michigan. I used to be a ordinance officer but I couldn't take violating the civil rights of the less fortunate so I transferred to a different division within the city. Well anyways, even though this is one of the largest cities in the state the Police Dept. has not so much stepped up patrol as they have changed their tactics in the way the citizens are treated.
They are also carrying portable radiation detectors or geiger counters, whatever you want to call them. They go where they want, when they want and are increasingly becoming more hostile in the way they interact with the public. The population here in this city is Arabic. I am not. I have known some of these officers for a long time and they are actually starting to scare me!
They also seem to keep to their selves and to one another. Seeing the geiger counters becoming part of their normal arsenal though was pretty disturbing!

[edit on 1/26/08 by EntitySeed]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I live in Louisville, and in a nice safe neighborhood. I have noticed an increase in police cars in my neighborhood. Don't know why, but I don't like it one bit.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
There is so much increased police and air patrols in Los Angeles that people are quite alarmed. Formations of unmarked aircraft (6 white single engine cessna's) flew across downtown Los Angeles, then back and over Griffith Park. This was followed up with 10 black helicopters which were shiny yet unmarked.

Walking my dog in a dog park- several people were watching and exchanging comments of concern.

Its very weird.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EntitySeed

Ok i will admit it, I recently spent six months in county lock up. I wont say what for but it was nothing major. I forgot all about it untill I read your post. While I was in I noticed the guards wearing a weird looking badge over their normal badges. I asked and they said it was a radiation monitor. I asked what for and they said x-rays. Ive been all through that jail and have never seen any x-ray machines. I should also note I dont live all that far from Oak Ridge and I believe they are secretly dumping waste in a new heavily guarded "sand quarry" not far from here.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to SoLaR513post by SoLaR513

Yes the badges are surly a part of this also. These geiger conters that they carry can be attached to their belt. If you didn't know what they were you would really not even notice. They carry so much equipment on their belts it fits right in!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EntitySeed

How long ago was it you noticed this? You said you are in Michigan? I am origionally from there and most of my family still live there. They have told me there seems to be alot of racial profiling going on up there.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The new gear that is carried started a little over three years ago. As far as the change in their tactics, the past year. It is probably not even noticed by some but interacting with law enforcement on a regular basis I can see the change more than your regular citizen may see. As far as the racial profiling is concerned I can't comment on. I can only go by what I personally had to deal with when I was an ordinance officer. To put it bluntly, the more money you had the less problems you had to deal with. It did not matter what nationality you were. Hence my departure from that career. I hope that answered your question.

new topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join