It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comment on ATS Debates Here

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It does take practice, and it doesn't always come together the way you hope. Only about half of my debates really shine the way I want them to.

I'm very happy with the way things are shaping up in this debate, as I was with my debates against Rdube02 and my first debate with Memoryshock.

I felt very clumsy in my debates against The Libra, Byrd, and Zenlover28 on the other hand.

There will be plenty of debates coming up:
I've been toying with the idea of free-for-all debates- 3-5 people each arguing for the superiority of one thing out of a list, so that event might be coming up soon if there is interest, and then we should probably stage our first tournament for 2008 sometime in February if we want to get 3 tournaments in this year.

As for the free for all debates, here's an example: Who was the most influential person in history: Debater 1 will be arguing for Einstein, Debater 2 will be arguing for Moses, Debater 3 will be arguing for Hitler.

I'd like to get some of our really good debaters into those to see if they really are workable. I know Memoryshock is on board- he's fearless- there's a reason he's the second most experienced active fighter here.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

More than "pro vs con"? But numerous angles in the same debate? Sort of like a Royal Rumble? Man, who thought of that? Cool, I'm in.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I did some debating in college, although that was many years ago and much different to online debating - you have to think on your feet a LOT more.

One of the main problems with the last debate I was in was time and comfort - I had some real issues with medical stuff and didn't have the time I'd like, I was also in a considerable amount of discomfort, which didn't help.

No complaints though - we all have issues to deal with.

I quite like the idea of a free for all - it could be good fun, and that's why we do it at the end of the day.

I'll be up for the next tourney and hopefully do myself a bit more justice and have a good time as well.

In the meantime, if anyone would like a lighthearted challenge debate then I'm up for that too.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've wanted to get out of pro/con for some time. In some cases I felt that the negative position had an unfair advantage, and I know others have felt the same at times. I can't say it was entirely my idea though- I forget who it was or even where it was, but I remember that a couple of our fighters had given me inspiration along the lines of non-pro/con debate.

As for the upcoming tournament budski, and anybody else who's interested, the tournament will be seeded by rank, so using challenge matches to prove your place in the seeding order would be a really good idea- otherwise you run the risk of a tougher draw in the earlier rounds.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Wow...I just found this thread....I was missing this type of commentary....

As for the exhibition between semper and Vagabond....nice. Both of you argued in directions I wouldn't have gone in....

budski....sending a u2u to some of the fighters listed in the rankings, rules thread...www.abovetopsecret.com.......might prove to be a more direct approach. Many of us don't check the full scope of debate related threads for challenges on a regular basis...

New debators....sign up for the debate tournament and find a challenge match....the experience can be very valuable as well as entertaining!!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Might as well attempt to get the weight of thoughts and see which thought weighs more?

Some will say the pen.
Others will say the sword.
Both are right and both are wrong?
It's all a matter of perception.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

New debators....sign up for the debate tournament and find a challenge match....the experience can be very valuable as well as entertaining!!

How do we look for a match?

sorry i am new member

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Budski is looking for an opponent. Try u2uing him. u2uing fighters or other new debaters who have expressed interest to arrange a match is the best way. Once you have agreed to have a debate and agreed to a start time, u2u me and I'll set everything up.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Thank you so much, just send a u2u!
gave you a star on your "pen"

THANKS

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
comments on ATS debates here:

ATS moderator Dbates... .yeah he seems like a pretty smart bloke n all, but whats with that avatar?

i guess dbates is... OOHHHHH! my bad, wrong topic.

sorry, i thought you meant moderator Dbates.

must have been drunk and stumbled into the wrong thread.

ahem, my apologies.

/me stumbles out the side door.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Careful with that Vodka my friend....

Well I must say this debate is shaping up into one heck of a fight.. The gloves have come off and it's like the 'Thrilla from Manila".

I can't wait to see what's coming next....

Vagabond, you're up....

Semper

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Blimey - you weren't kidding.

Although I would equate this more to hagler Vs hearns - a torrid bloodletting with neither giving an inch.

Fantastic stuff.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So far, this debate has been fairly equal.

I have awarded one extra star but for the sake of balance I won't say who got it. You both have given some interesting points and rebuttals. Can't wait to see where Vagabond goes next.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I was leaning Vagabonds way the entire debate until....I don't know anymore. Semper's last post knocked me off of my feet....

Obliv_au....Absolute hilarity!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Careful with that Vodka my friend....

Semper

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Obliv_au....Absolute hilarity!!!!

i know it was OT, but i couldnt resist adding a little humour. glad you both enjoyed it

Go Semper!!!
/me waves "semper's #1" flags

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well, if we've ever had a "full contact" debate I'd say this is it. Maybe after I'm done stabbing you to death with my pen we can play a more gentlemanly game... like rugby.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
By the by, two things certainly could stand to be mentioned about now.

The first is that the irony of my last post is in no way lost upon me.

The second is that, believe it or not, Semperfortis and I are still friends.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Sometimes I have to think very hard to keep coming up with new and interesting debate topics, but tonight I've come up with one that I really believe will make for a good show.

New debater GUNSINWAR will be warming up for the upcoming tournament with budski.

The topic is "Assuming the theory of evolution is correct, the unique demands placed upon humans in the first and third world will eventually cause homo sapiens to diverge into two species."

Here's the url, please flag and star as you see fit.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Thanks vagabond for another great subject.

I'm looking forwards to this one, and I hope I can do the subject justice.

< rolls up sleeves

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Yes folks,

I consider TheVagabond as one of my BEST friends here.... I have the utmost respect for him...

You all should take note that these are just debates, however passionate you may feel, always remember it is NOT PERSONAL.... EVER....

Like Rugby, if The Vagabond and I played, I would cut him no slack, but we would definitely be splitting a cold one when we were through...

That is a GREAT topic coming up.. I'm looking forward to reading that one...

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join