It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comment on ATS Debates Here

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
As some of you might know, the Debate Forum has been very active recently.

At the moment myself and Semperfortis- the previous champion and current champion- are putting on a little exhibition on one of the best topics the forum has seen: Is the Pen Mightier than the Sword?.

This thread is for anyone who would like to comment on that debate or any of the others that have recently ended (2 mod vs mod debates and 2 member vs member debates from our team debate series, as well as a championship match between Semperfortis and Memoryshock.)

There will also be several more debates in the coming weeks.

So let us know what you think here. Just please remember that it is considered courteous not to add subtance to debates that have not yet concluded- the fighters like to be independent.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A solid opening, if a little more lighthearted than we're used to seeing

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It didn't stay lighthearted.. LMAO

I can bet it will get even deeper....

Semper

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yeah that is really great, both of you. I'd have to say tie so far, I could not award a star. I really felt like both of you argued your point so well, in your own ways, that my only reasonable conclusion is that both the pen and the sword are necessary at different time points, and each of which is mightier than the other, depending on the circumstance. It is an unwinnable topic, imo, given two competent minds.

Either that or I will award a star to both, if ya like, but really same difference.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Either that or I will award a star to both, if ya like, but really same difference.

The content has value? Star it. "Same difference" but the content is acknowledged imo.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
"Same difference" but the content is acknowledged imo.

Exactly!

I'd rather see someone win 20 stars to 19, as opposed to 2 to 1. I've starred both, and will continue to gauge each response as you both push forward.

Good luck, Vagabond & semp.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
All you members with the fighter title

are Master Debaters to me

Put em UP!!!!

Oops forgot to say that I enjoy the debates and really am impressed by the lively and well written points and rebuttals.

I think that the MSM should take notes on how a REAL debate is conducted.

Thanks Vagabond for your dedication to the debate forum!

I am soooo forgetful , sorry chissler, many many thanks to you as well

ed:forgetful

[edit on 1/21/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Thanks Vagabond for your dedication to the debate forum!

Don't forget chissler.

Edit: changed smileys.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Definately don't forget Chissler. Without fail he is johnny on the spot whenever the forum needs something, even though he wasn't even officially responsible for the ATS Debate forum until recently.

As for stars, by all means star as you will, but for the record, this isn't a judged debate. It will be open for fighters to give in-thread comments when the debate is concluded, but nobody officially gets a notch in their gun.
Traditionally mods don't participate in the debates, and now that the rule is being relaxed, it seems fit to relax it slowly, rather than jumping straight in with a mod ending somebody's undefeated streak.

If you gents will excuse me now, I have a my opponent's impressively quick post and a bacon cheeseburger to digest.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

rather than jumping straight in with a mod ending somebody's undefeated streak.

Being mildly premature aren't we? ....

Now you know I'm just kidding...

But I do want to ask this....

If or when I do whoop TheVagabond, can I wear an avatar that says "MOD Whooper"?

I just keep crackin myself up...

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
All you members with the fighter title

are Master Debaters to me

Put em UP!!!!

I just need a topic I feel comfortable with enough to debate. A debate on illegal immigration, or hell what about a debate on 911? Maybe these have come up, not sure, have really not been following the debate forums until recently.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Wouldn't phase me, but maybe it should be something that can't be misconstrued as trollish... "I beat The Vagabond and all I got was this lousy avatar" or something like that.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You gotta know I was kidding... LMAO

But seriously, about that Tee Shirt.......

Trollish? Me?

HA.. Never..

Semper

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Yeah, I know you're kidding, as am I.

As for trollishness- let us not forget the troll's longer-winded and slightly less combative cousin, the ogre. They seem to do OK once they mature. I started out as an ogre.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Good approach so far Semp. It's usually easier to get the angle on people. I still think I've got ya, but nearly as solid as I'd like. Can't wait to see how the next couple rounds pan out.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Very nice man on that latest one, and that is all I will say for now. Let's see what the sempmeister comes up with.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We are really moving along here. We just crossed the half way point. Debating semperfortis is really a pleasure. Great opponents bring out the best in me, or at least so I'd like to think. This is every bit as fun as the championship round against Rdube02 was (speaking of which semper, if he's still around you really should debate him some day).

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Great debate!

We see vagabond sharpening his quill only to be rebuffed by the magical "sword of semper".

I'm really enjoying this so far and have semper slightly ahead, but only slightly.

Looking forwards to the rest

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've applauded your honesty budski... if only because I felt guilty for wishing i could warn it. (just kidding)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I just call it as I see it

It really is a great debate - I only wish I was up to the same standard.

Perhaps I need more practice - or be able to spend the time I need on a debate, which I couldn't last time.

Maybe the next tourney.

Or a challenge match?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join