It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MacHeads: the Cult of Macintosh

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

cults don't provide you with a one year warranty.
or a product for your money 'donation'.

i really thinking you're stretching, here.

you want some dirt on apple and jobs? they're trying to corner the CONTENT market, and keep the clamps on top down control of the entertainment gravy train. that's just evil. in fact, apple's been getting eviler and eviler.

'evil' these days is almost on par with 'convenient'.
like all these people who say they would mind a chip implant because it would save them from having to carry a wallet.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
It is NOT an industry standard. Thats ridiculous, unless you can post something to back that up. Mac's marketshare at the end of 2007 was right around 8%

It doesn't surprise me that Mac's market share was around 8%. That's high in my opinion considering the amount of PC's in the world. I'm impressed. But, I didn't come here to discuss popularity.

Mac's ARE the graphic design industry standard. If you actually worked in the graphic design industry you would not try to dispute this fact. Sure, there are companies that skimp and try to use PCs. These are the companies that cause headaches for the rest of the industry when they receive collected files and can't load the Mac fonts.

You claim to work in the design industry, but I have a hunch that you're probably writing code as a web person - in which there's very little "design" involved and doesn't surprise me that you're using a pc.

I cannot post anything that can "back-up" my claim that Macs are an industry standard ... unless you'd like me to post my resume. I've spent 15 years in the industry and worked my way up to my current position through 6 jobs. All companies I've worked for (including book publishers, newspapers and advertising agencies) used Macs in ALL aspects of the business, even HR and IT. And yes, IT and web people have always hated Macs at every place I've worked. So, you're rant doesn't really surprise me.

Oh, and if you attend a decent design school and peek into a computer lab - you'll notice the Macs laying around. To say that Mac's are not an industry standard show's your ignorance of the industry.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
pointless. retiring.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I won't sit here and argue with you. I have no reason to doubt your creditials, but find it hard to believe that you've achieved so much and are not aware that across the world design departments are dominated by Macintosh computers. It just seems that someone with your experience and expertise could easily recognize this fact.

It would seem that it would be recognizable in the statistics that you stated. 8% is no small feat. Considering all the data driven industries in the world that live and breathe on pc's and mac's have a lock on 8% of the share? That's a very large number. I would guess that 90% of that 8% is probably the design industry. Take away the design industry and you'd be left with a very meger 0.8% that would be made up of home users on Mac's. I think that says alot about how dominate Mac's are in the design industry.

Alas, times are changing - in your favor. In the future, you may not have as much to write about the iCults. Here's an article that discusses how design departments are moving away from Macintosh, but still admits that it was and currently still IS the industry standard.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i've hears a lot of the big print shops are 'stuck' with OS9.
true?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
i've hears a lot of the big print shops are 'stuck' with OS9.
true?

Print shops and newspapers are notoriously behind the times as far as technology. Because most of these shops simply output a file that has already been "designed" and are simply processing to film - these dinosaurs are the last people to upgrade systems. They don't have to stay on the cutting edge since thier part in the industry is simply output. They normally only upgrade when forced to by clients that present files they're no longer able to open.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

whatever, macs are PCs these days. its just a different OS. So I guess, if by industry standard, you mean it has DDR2 Ram, a video card, an intel CPU, sata, firewire, usb, dvi etc. I agree. We can get as technical as you want, but you still won't be able to prove mac as an industry standard. It may be your experience, and your opinion, but it's still not the truth.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

You're in denial. The majority of computers in the graphic design industry run on Macintosh OS software and not Microsoft Windows.

Anyone reading this thread can do this experiment:

Google (your town) + Newspaper. Call the number provided and ask for thier graphics department. Ask what type of computers they operate on. In fact, do this for 4 different newspapers near you. I'm convinced (and don't have to call my local newspapers because I've worked at the Jeffersonville The Evening News, The New Albany Tribune and Louisville's The Courier-Journal) that 95% of the graphics departments are operating on Macintosh computers. Even though 90% of their business is conducted on PC - their graphics depart still run Macs.

It's a fact.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

And just to make sure we're on the same page ... we're talking about an INDUSTRY STANDARD.

Not a world standard - as you were trying to make a point of earlier with marketshares. Not a national standard.

The Graphic Design Industry. Not IT industry. Not Human Resources industry. Not the Car manufacturing industry. Not the web developement industry.

Mac's have a lock on The Graphic Deisgn Industry and will continue to retain the majority of this hold for probably another decade - but, will slowly be phased out due to the induction of Intel to the OS.

I think someone is hating on Mac's because they are now capable of running Windows, but the opposite cannot be said for his preferred operating system.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ill back that up.

I work in the broadcast video industry. Not only is a majority of print done on macs, but now in video from consumer grade video through to major tv stations the highest percentage of work is done in final cut pro (mac only).

While in tv land, a great deal of video editing is avid, final cut is starting to compete, along with alternative platforms such as videotoaster.

Point being, anyone that does serious graphics (2d) work is using macs and xgrid. 3d work is another story. Also worth noting that most tv adverts are now composited on macs, as the workflow and timeline is much better/quicker. With the new finalcut server, and quicktime servers internet video is being done on macs too. Have a look at the apple pro section on the apple.com and see whats actually being done.

To sum up my 10 years in graphics, if your doing serious graphics, you will be on mac. (yes you might use pcs for tools such as 3ds max) but beginning and end are generally mac, it works better.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
pointless. retiring.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think what you refer to as a "cult mentality" comes from these three things combined:

1 - being in a minority;

2 - having the conviction of using a product that is superior, that more people should know about;

3 - the feeling of being oppressed by a majority that is basically wrong about the quality of the product they are using.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
pointless. retiring.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
you're just trolling, now.

it's not a cult just because you say it is.

congrats on your resume. i notice psychology is not in your skill set. you are claiming to be an expert on cult mentality, because you have taken away the question mark after cult.
you say it's not about computers, but tout your computer prowess as the reason you are an expert on the mac cult. disconnect?

it's a cult because you decided it is, and no one will sway your 'fact', so why bother with this trolling spree?

one thing you might not be considering is how much mac users were ridiculed back in the day when apple was assumed dead(you know, just before LORD JOBS came back to apple?).

brand loyalty(and in many cases it wasn't because it WAS apple, but because it WASN'T bill gates of hell windows) does not equal cult. jobs wanted to create a computer that people could just use, without having to take a night course. he did it. he wanted to build an intuitive box. he did. the mac OS is far more user friendly(historically) than any wintel crap has ever been.

but, really. are you just trying to piss people off? what's your point. the closest thing you posted to to show it's a cult was the scientology thing, and NONE of the bullet points were applicable, as i already pointed out. so, what's your game? why do you 'need' for mac users to be labelled as 'cultists'? are you starting a new company selling windows virus protection software or something? does it tick you off that mac users don't need virus protection?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
troll indeed. deny ignorance indeed. I'm retiring from this thread. it started out well, but took a dive around page 5.

I have to thank all you guys for the constant PC vs Mac off-topic baiting. Your techniques worked well, and I fell for the bait. I'm actually quite embarrassed, so you may not see me around for a little while as I lick my wounds.

I can see this topic has made lots of you very emotional, so try to take some deep breaths and get a good night of sleep, I'm sure you will get over it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I WIN!!! *speaks into iphone, "mission accomplished, lord jobs"*

just kidding.

sorry if i was harsh, but if you read the title of your thread, it is equally harsh. it was a derogatory broadbrush assault on, ........??????...... apple computer owners. just because someone bought an apple, they have to be pidgeonholed as some mindless automatons that got suckered by some subliminal mind control from cupertino?

hopefully there are no hard feelings, and you can understand my (and my fellow cultists) angst.

here. humour:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

This is the second time you've opted to stop replying to posts.

I really like your posts normally Sci. I would only reply to your post if you made a point. You did. If your post was to elicit hate for the advertising industry, I get it. The Mac phenomenon is not new and there will be more powerful advertising technique in the near future. Wait til next holiday season.

But really, you ask for specific comments and then snuff them for being off-topic. Not true. All this is on topic and proof of perfect advertising. If you were making the money, would you be upset?

Its business. If you pay income tax where you work, you must appreciate what they are doing. Capitalism is not evil, this current system is. And they are not one in the same.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
LOL Billybob I was thinking of that same skit when I was reading some of these posts. I think the point has been made you cannot have a discussion about Mac and PC and not have people discuss which they think is superior and why just like you cant start a 9/11 thread and have people discuss only events of 9/11 and not their theories of holograms and micro nukes no matter how many times you ask them to only discuss the topic people will bring their own agendas in here

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
yeah I don't get it.

You ask why there's an iCult. I don't deny the fact ... only offer a reason. They you try to refute the reason with outlandish claims.

I offered only facts and even gave everyone here a chance to double-check my theory for themselves to see if I was correct or not.

Sour grapes anyone?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I would just like to say ... I respectfully disagree.

Some people are followers and will attached to either mainstream or anti-mainstream regardless.

Marketing is marketing ... but, I find the new marketing is trying to make it seem more like a computer for anyone, and the pc more for the suits (which, is sort of true). If they push the new OSX's ability to run XP/Vista natively (as well as Linux) ... they would really sell.

I find this as almost an expose on a cult, yes, I agree with that. BUT, you could make a similar thing with Windows fanatics, or any fanatic for anything. Some people really love certain things.

A few examples -

I love my fish, but, I only keep two tanks. Some people love taking care of fish so much, they have 10-20 tanks, thousands of gallons worth of tank space, and still are tempted to expand it ... and these people don't run fish stores, nor breed for profit. There are forums with people that have 20,000 and 50,000 gallon tanks in their homes. Yes, tens of thousands of gallons on a single tank.

I love anime. I have over 250 GB of it in digital storage, and a cd case full of dvds. Some people, have TBs of digital, shelves and boxes full of manga, and books upon books of dvds. They dress up as characters for conventions, taking the time to make the costumes their selves. I actually respect that

Some people love football (or other sports as well). They spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a single game that lasts a few hours ... wear skimpy clothes and paint their bodies, get tattoos of their favorite's name/team/sponsor/number ... portraits and other things permanently branded on their skin with ink.

Basically, if you want to focus your attention, any group can be made to have a cult look. We must step back and realize that. People with an agenda (whether to make money or demonize/negatively spin something they don't like or believe in) can and will make things look as bad or shocking as they can. Non-religious people do it to religious people, and vice-versa. Countries at war do it to each other. Candidates for government offices do this (both local and national).

As far as my experience with the OSes, I can say I have used all three.

The video is a sensationalist piece of work, whether from a true Mac-fanatic, a company trying to sell the strangeness of people (daytime talk show angle), or a PC-lover anti-Mac piece.

To me, the detail doesn't matter, it is the overall impression this video gives off (the initial intention is irrelevant when it is being used as a propaganda/persuasion piece - and I am in no way saying the op is doing so) ...

The way this video presents Mac people reminds me of how over-the-top I felt the people on the J-sus Camp thing was (btw, what G-dly person who has read the Bible, would use the term Kids on Fire and have them meet in Devil's Lake?). For those who don't know, here is the Wiki: Jesus Camp Hope you have a bit of nerve because to me, it seems like child brainwashing, imho.

So, is this video out of context? Are they a few Mac-fetishists? Or, are they are real crazy cult ... irrespective to the normal Mac aficionados?

Not sure ... but I don't find this accurately represents the average mac enthusiast one bit.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join