It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MacHeads: the Cult of Macintosh

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am a former mac only elitist. Having broken the bonds of Steve Jobs mind control ray, I am finally free to purchase other types of computers.

The final straw for me was apples switch to the new intel cpu. I figure if there really isn't a hardware difference why the hell am I paying so much more money for the apple. For around $500 USD I can buy a pc with the same specs as a $1100 USD apple. The OSX os is not worth that much money.

To address the OP. You can make your cult claim with any type of branded item. Look at autos. Ford and Chevy owners can be very cult like in why they own which type of vehicle.

The real cult is Linux...
All hail chairman Linus Sun of the revolution!

As I type this message on my Imac.. lol. The wife is making me get another Apple this year. She can't live without Itunes... Damn you Steve Jobs.

Really it is all about want you want to do.
Networking is best on *BSD, which ever flavor you want. Video games on PC's and for all you mind controlled sheeple, a apple.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr_Suess
You can make your cult claim with any type of branded item. Look at autos. Ford and Chevy owners can be very cult like in why they own which type of vehicle.

I agree, but Apple tends to specifically produce consumers that have this whole superior-creative complex. It's not just a "I buy more expensive and cooler looking stuff than you" mentality.

For around $500 USD I can buy a pc with the same specs as a $1100 USD apple. The OSX os is not worth that much money.

right, PLUS you can choose from hundreds and hundreds of motherboards and unlimited configurations. With Apple, you get either the Mac motherboard, or the Mac motherboard.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Considering that PC based machines have captured 85% (approximate) of the CG Market it would seem that this "Cult" is failing. When I started out most Print Shops and people in the CG field where on Mac's. Now that has reversed. In no small part due to the fact that much of software either is never released for a Mac or it is released a year or two later.

I used to receive graphics from customers in a Mac format a significant percentage of the time. Now, in the last year, I've only received one! That is one file out of thousands!

XP Pro SR2 is awesome to say the least. Vista, which I am on now needs work but much of the negative about it is lies. I have had NO PROBLEMS with it other than vendors who are criminally far behind in updating their drivers. They had two years to develop the drivers before the release and many failed. Then they try to blame it on Microsoft

I'm giving you two thumbs up
on the Cult Theory. Macs will forever remain a small part of the market until they put the customer first.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Scientist:
Like I mentioned in my previous post I have spoken with thousands of apple customers and spent hours with some of them on the telephone. These people have been switchers, old time apple users, and computer newbies. If apple is producing icult consumers it is on a far more isolated level than you make it out to be.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

I agree, but Apple tends to specifically produce consumers that have this whole superior-creative complex. It's not just a "I buy more expensive and cooler looking stuff than you" mentality.

I can only speak from personal experience. I record and edit audio and video for a living, sometimes exiting stuff, sometimes booring seminars and whatnot that equate to hours and hours of editing huge files. I use Pro Tools for the audio, and Final Cut Pro for the video.

I have used Pro Tools extensively on both a mac and a PC, and there is NO comparison. On a PC the program is unstable, often crashing or freezing to the point where a hard boot is the only option. On a mac, I rarely have any problem, and never have total freezes. This has been my experience with almost every DAW I've tried to run on a PC.

Final Cut Pro is a mac program, you can't run it on a PC, and although I've tried to use Avid on a PC editing suite, I didn't care for it. I don't really have any use for garageband or imovie, not enough options, but the other parts of ilife are really helpful. For instance, I have no experience building websites, but with iweb I had a personal portfolio up within minutes, and it gave me all the options I needed.

I agree that some of the new fans of mac are just riding a trend, but for me there has never really been a contest.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Considering that PC based machines have captured 85% (approximate) of the CG Market it would seem that this "Cult" is failing.

What does being a cult have to do with being a majority? You have that backwards. Most cults are a small minority, which is what helps maintain their cult mentality.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
No t a cult really, very similar to the amiga followers of the time. The growing size of apple will shed off the real groupies and the "cultism" will then die. Apple will then become just another large company, the "innovations" will stop and they will be swollowed up by a few of the other big boys.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnocentBystander
I have used Pro Tools extensively on both a mac and a PC, and there is NO comparison. On a PC the program is unstable, often crashing or freezing to the point where a hard boot is the only option.

funny, but I use protools as well. In fact, I bought the G5 when it came out, just for ProTools. It wasn't any faster than my PC, that cost $1000+ less.

Again, you guys are killing me with this technical crap.
In fact, multimedia production is my LIFE. That means audio, video, graphic design and programming.

Just because you can't figure out how to configure a stable machine, doesn't mean Mac is better. It's just a bit more idiot-proof (no offense intended).

I have no experience building websites, but with iweb I had a personal portfolio up within minutes, and it gave me all the options I needed.

exactly. so you use Mac, which takes all the hard work out. But again, you didn't pay for the Mac.... you paid for the software that came with it.

I'm starting to worry I may be followed due to my comments in this post... I hope iCult members aren't as aggressive as Scientologists!

[edit on 22-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Did I here someone say OSX was Open source???? Apple is the most closed source and propietary company I know of, well behind sony anywho.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
Did I here someone say OSX was Open source???? Apple is the most closed source and propietary company I know of, well behind sony anywho.

you did in fact read that. clearly, a comment from an uninformed mac user, also a prime example of the mentality this post is all about.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have been brainwashed to accept windows as the best. They put them in all the schools here...

Go windows!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr_Suess
You can make your cult claim with any type of branded item. Look at autos. Ford and Chevy owners can be very cult like in why they own which type of vehicle.

The ford/chevy cult has nothing to do with the claim that one is cooler than the other. The ford/chevy cult even has spiritual leaders. These leaders hold spiritual contests that last for days (nascar races). I have seen people get into physical altercations about brands of cars. Never seen that with computers.

Again, you can make the same claim with any branded item. Advertising is the propaganda machine of the free market. If you think it is unique with apple, then you to are being deceived by the cult of capitalism.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
There are millions of forums for Mac vs PC threads, can we use ats for the mind boggling greatness it is. someone close this thread!!!!

Scientist you on el reg?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Come on... Apple a cult?

Apple has come up with a product line that is highly regarded, innovative, and typically performs as it's advertised, and because people buy it it's a cult?

Lets flip this around... Microsoft releases bad products, full of bugs, security holes, and incompatibility issues, and people still blindly buy it. Every Windows release since 3.0 has been buggy, bloated, and posed a security risk... yet the blind masses still buy it and use it. And Vista? What a joke.

Which sounds more like a cult? Microsoft, which arguably has people pay them for headaches, let downs, and problems... or Apple, which has such a decent product line that people actually feel proud to own and/or use.

And for the record, I use both. Powermac Dual G5 for work (production artist), and a PC I custom built for gaming. Blue or grey, each has it's "Screen of Death"

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Got to pop in and say that I have been using protools LE on a pc(win 98 2nd edition)for 8 or 9 years now and its been rock solid with everything.Its streamlined just for recording

I was going to buy a Mac as at the time they where seen as the machine to have in the recording industry but I read some comments by producers who said PCs coped well with protools and other recording programs.

Got XP Pro on this net machine and its been ok so far.I lost my hardrives a few times with win2000!

Regarding the cult angle with Macs,yeahh there are lots of people who swear by them.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This thread wasn't about brands, but cults. Still, whatever OS one is given to feel comfortable with could be branded a cult.

I know Windows users that stay with it, even when they spend hours cussing at Vista/XP, just because it's the devil they know. They would rather fight than switch. (And if you're old enough to remember those commercials, then you are really a fossil.)

The fact is that most people hate to change, and they will make a boatload of excuses for why they don't. The truth is that sometimes one system is better than the other, but people are no better than they have to be at using them.

It's not as much a cult factor as it is a comfort zone.

Btw, I'm using an XP system on my son's rig right now, but at home I use a free OS from Linux. I like the options, and the price. I changed because I wasn't comfortable being a follower. A lot of people are.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod

you did in fact read that. clearly, a comment from an uninformed mac user, also a prime example of the mentality this post is all about.

The poster who claimed that OSX is open source is not wrong, fully. In fact most of OSX is open source. OSX is built on FreeBSD. You could even describe it as the backbone of OSX. Its what makes it work. You should be careful, lest someone accuse you of being a disinfo agent from microsoft.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
@BlaznRob you are really a novice you obviously don't use products that "just work" in the real world. sure apple's webcam and ilife programs are super hyper mega great but the rest is tripe. This apple cult is crap I once read an article stating that apples new backup software was in the top 10 inovations of the year... backup software???? I couldn't believe it, I installed "time machine" instantly in a data centre and guess what.. #!!! Of course the iPhone was no 1 on the innovations list... so after some sales person came in and stated he wanted his gps navigation and corporate email on his... and stating it wouldn't interact he blamed microsoft and stormed off in a huff..

How is this microsofts fault, what is the mentality of these people.... do they live in the actual real world... Well, only time will tell, with all the US and EU antitrust crap chucked at microsoft and he we are with apple "could do no wrong" inc controlling the music market and their # don't stink.. they are heading for a huge fall..

P.S. Steve jobs looks like a super criminal.. his plans will fail.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've used PC's for over 20 years and the final straw was Vista. I swore I would never own a Mac, mostly out of ignorance. Now I'm the proud owner of a Mac Book Pro and I love it.

I researched Mac for about 6 months before I finally purchased my new machine.

I'm still in the learning curve but the software is pretty intuitive and I've had no problem installing things like an Airport Extreme; as a matter of fact I was shocked at how easy it was compared to hardware I have tried to install on my PC.

A friend of mine put it best: "Once you go Mac, you never go back!"

I've joined the cult of personality!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
@Dr_Suess

I would like to change osx's font renderer since it's...... well crap.. please point me in the right open source direction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join