It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MacHeads: the Cult of Macintosh

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
first of all, I was trying to find a "cult" forum, but I guess there isn't one.. so this seems like the next best place - although this has much more to do with social elements, than technological.

www.macheadsthemovie.com...

there is a video trailer at the link, please check it out before posting a comment.

I happen to agree with the idea that apple has been creating a cult of followers, just like Scientology or New-Age(iness?). A small group of people (3-5% market share), that will stick by their opinions through the thick and thin - from price markups and horrible business ethics, to outright robbery and extortion. (yes, consider forcing people to use proprietary hardware extortion)

I have been using computers since I can remember. My first 3 computers were all apple, it's all I knew. I have had macs all my life, i was an early adopter of the first 64bit G5 that came out as well. That was my last big mac purchase, although I will probably get another soon for work purposes.

Still, I highly favor the PC format. This is NOT a Mac vs PC debate. I repeat, This is NOT a Mac vs PC debate. I only wrote the above to explain I'm not some PC-only user, that just hates everything but Linux/Windows/etc.

It's just that, with Linux or Windows, you are spending your money on components. With Mac, you spend your money on the experience. They sell emotions and feelings, not necessarily technology. They just have such a cult-feel to everything they do.

Look at all the people who rushed to get the iPhone when it first dropped, without apple ever releasing any type of official specs (at least not any that would have satisfied even a mild technophile).

It seems like Apple cultists are aware they are part of a small group, and they use that niche characteristic to help define themselves, which Apple exploits through their corporate image and marketing. They align themselves with the likes of Einstein, Andy Warhol, Dali, the Dali Lama, etc. I mean, does the Dali Lama even have a cell phone? (Rhetorical, please hold your answers - I realize Andy Warhol has used a Mac).

My point being (and probably the point of this film, but I don't know - the trailer doesnt give much away) - Apple plays into this mentality, and that is the reason they keep loyal customers, despite high prices and lack of options. If someone thinks they are more artistic, design-centered, right-brained or creative, just because they use a $20 paintbrush instead of a home-made one, then it's a clear example of blind faith and ignorance. THose are pretty much all the ingredients you need ... throw them in the oven for 20 minutes at 400, and you've got a cult!

I'd love to hear(read) some comments on this topic!

[edit on 21-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm a die hard Mac fan. It's true. It's a cult, but without the paddles and other rituals (except the 'unboxing ceremony' of new Apple stuff!).

I've convinced about a dozen or so people to go out and buy Macs over the past couple of years - this is how Apple, I think, gets a large share of customers.

Personally I use a Mac because they just work. I've tried linux, I even have a Windows box (which is basically just set up as a router), but I just can't let go of my Mac.

The new following (post 2001ish) is largely due to the iPod. Apple's brand awareness is off the scale.

I just wish I could have bought their stock back when it was like $12 a share!!!

[edit on 21-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
yes, amen on the stock.

So, you are actually recruiting more members? Ha. When you say "they just work," are you implying that other stuff doesn't? Again, this is the type of cult doublespeak that is common throughout any type of convincing that abandons logic for the sake of internal conflict. There must be more to it than "it just works." I mean, plenty of stuff just works - but I don't go around telling people to spend thousands of dollars because of it.

Please, tell me more... I just may be able to deprogram some of you. (nah, I doubt it
)

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Count me in, i too worship the high priestess "Finder" and the new gods "spaces" and "timemachine" Joking aside...........

The simple reason people love them is that they work. Clever marketing aside, apple as a company provide the illusion of being highly organized, focused entity.

You know that their products are going to work, and work well. The think through workflows and make things work the way they should. They make nice things, that do what they are ment to and much more.

But most of this is now due to developers, who create amazing software to work on a proven platform. The number of developers switching to the mac platform is a real eye-opener. These are the real ministers of the apple religion, believing the message, living the message and spreading the word.

As most as the core of OSX is open source, it has evolved, by thousands of people, filtering through the best bits, and making it stronger, it has not been limited by the closed goals of one entity.

If the message is clear, and concise, and follows your way of thinking, is it a surprise that people follow it?

If religion was as clinical as apples marketing, id be in church every week.

I switched from the dark side 4 years ago, and will never go back to long way of doing things, no matter how much im tempted by the angels of silver-light and .net

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
yes, amen on the stock.

So, you are actually recruiting more members? Ha. When you say "they just work," are you implying that other stuff doesn't?

I can answer that in one word. Vista

I used to be anti-mac, but the simple fact is, if you choose to go down the mac route, and you learn about them, you actually begin to enjoy using them, as they do what they are told. Without silly messages such as "windows cannot find windows"

Its proven, stable technology generally. Which increases peoples productivity.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Oh come on, Take a good PC with XP on it and tweak it big time. Install the Opera browser and you have a good PC without the cult. I agree Vista is a huge screw up for Microsoft and they are slowly doing nothing about it.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thats fine if i just want to surf the internet, but no i want to edit movies on my brand new pc.

Damn, i need to buy more software.

buys software, smiles. Then plugs in video camera, damn no drivers! ah well.

Plus in the 14 mins my computer has been online, its full of spyware and other exploits, without me doing anything!

Yes i agree that XP is a stable platform, finally! but it took a while to get there. Its great if you want to use old(er) software. But i like being able to do new things with my computer.

The point of the matter is vista should have been stable before it shipped.

Don't get me wrong, there are things i don't like about OSX. But i can change them, and the developers seem to be a hell of alot more active than any windows based groups that i have worked with.

If choosing a stable, forward thinking platform is being a fanboy, well ill buy that t-shirt!

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have been a PC users for almost 20 years, I bought my first Mac (MacBook Pro) about 3 weeks ago - I will never buy another "PC" again. For one, I love OSX Leopard, secondly the darn thing runs Windows like nothing I've ever seen before!

This is my first foray into the Steve Jobs product line, I have never owned an iPod (Had a Dell DJ and recently acquired a Zune) and it surely won't be my last. I was a member of the "too expensive for a trend" crowd until I did alot of research. Honestly, if you buy a laptop with similar harware as the MacBook Pro, it's not a big difference in price at all.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

That is all.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Count me in. Cult or not.
From DOS to XP to OSX is the way i went.

It's not just a cult or a myth. It's a brilliant operating system on all fronts.

Best arguments in my opinion to use Mac OSX:

1.No driver issues out of the box. 95 % of all devices you can imagine just work plug and play.

2.Less crashing hard drives on the long term.

3.Installing more than 100 applications without the system slowing down much.

4.Very stable on application switching.

5. No Format C: once a year

6. Doing internet, mail, pro audio , video or graphics on ONE system for years without any trouble.

7. Being able to run any OS with virtualization. Super fast!

8. User interface. Anyone can use this system, Pro user or grandpa.

As a long time windows user , these arguments are fact in my opinion. Cult or not ('
'))

[edit on 21-1-2008 by abovetech]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Heh yeah, it is a bit of double speak. But my Windows box for instance, and I've and owned a few - drivers go missing every now and then, the sound some times won't work without a restart, odd things get into the system (XP SP1 was a nightmare!!!), 'little' things like that that stop you from doing any real work.

I did look at Windows systems before getting my MacBook (I previously owned 5 Macs of varying vintage - '94-'02), but none of the Windows machines included applications like GarageBand and iMovie - their Windows equivalents are also generally harder to use.

And if you really need Windows, Intel Macs (post '06) can boot into XP and Vista natively without needing an emulator. So you can have linux, OS X, and Windows all on the one box if you wish, but you'd probably never get anything done

I'll never own another Windows system beyond XP. Vista appears to be a mess, they've 'borrowed' so much from Mac OS X, and they haven't done a very good job at it.

As for price, I would say they're generally on par with PCs. Laptops are booming, and I think Apple currently have the best design in that department.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2ciewan

yes, amen on the stock.

So, you are actually recruiting more members? Ha. When you say "they just work," are you implying that other stuff doesn't?

I can answer that in one word. Vista

whatever. I just build a custom computer, and installed vista. it was a pleasant and seamless process, much to my surprise. Vista isn't anything special, just XP with cooler looking skins, which I've already turned off.

seriously, vista is just as stable as anything else right now, unless you are trying to hook up all kinds of peripherals that the manufacturers haven't developed new drivers for yet.

Let's hear some legitimate reasons. remember, I use XP, Vista and OSX Leopard every day. Don't try to throw some technical aspects at me, they just aren't there. Remember the topic, cult mentality.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
p.s. this thread is filled with full-blown mac propaganda!!!

you are only adding fuel to the cult-fire guys.

remember, this is not about Mac vs PC, as fanboys always like to take it... but rather, why you all of you seem to have this "oh, once I got a mac, I will forever buy mac" mentality?

will never go back to long way of doing things, no matter how much im tempted

I bought my first Mac (MacBook Pro) about 3 weeks ago - I will never buy another "PC" again.

I'll never own another Windows system

this is exactly what I'm talking about,

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
well i tried to watch the trailer for the movie but the page wouldn't load...probably some pc related bs. haha kidding...

i saw the title of this thread and was intrigued because i feel the same way about a lot of mac users...they just seem to buy into this corporate marketing no matter what it is they're selling. it's a whole identity prepackaged for you in a cute white (or now colorful) skin: you highly regard individuality (as long as there's kinship with other mac people), you support liberal policies, you care about the environment and the third world, you're a yuppie, you consider yourself an artist, you consider yourself way, way ahead of the curve and subsequently everyone else who's backward enough not to subscribe to macloving, you care a lot about status and how everyone else sees you, you're anti establishment and pro SELF. does that about sum up most mac users? it does the ones i've known.

of course, i know some people who have bought and enjoy macs because of their stability and bad experiences with windows' lack thereof. these people don't really subscribe to the whole i-phone, i-mac, i-pod, i-dentity that describes the rest of mac users; they're just regular people who prefer a different setup.

myself? personally i'm vehemently anti-mac because i disagree so much with the identity that they are marketing. i find that sort of a55hole repugnant and try to avoid them at all costs. if you think you're awesome because you have an i-pod well i think you're a dbag and don't want to ever talk to you. i will never buy an apple product because i don't want one penny of my money to support that kind of corporate culture, no matter how great any of the technology is.

in short, i definitely think mac culture is very much like a cult. either you're in or you're so out you're from like 6 years ago

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Yeah Vista is fine if you have a ton of ram on a new machine and a Internet connection less than 10Mb because thats about the limit of the Vista stupid auto-tuning feature as stated by Microsoft where they were apologising for making the mistake. Vista cant be tweaked. The net forums are loaded with people returning Vista for XP.
I have XP with Fios 20Mb service and I don't get spy-ware or viruses then I use the Opera browser to make things even faster. You can do all the picture and movie stuff with XP media center anyway cant you? I for one expected Vista to be way better than it is now. Maybe in a few years it will be.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Oh come on, Take a good PC with XP on it and tweak it big time. Install the Opera browser and you have a good PC without the cult. I agree Vista is a huge screw up for Microsoft and they are slowly doing nothing about it.

That was my line of thinking.

I had (still have, somewhere) a Sinclair ZX81 as my first home computer (back when they were new, and people still called them home computers). Bought a 286 as an upgrade, then upgraded that to a 486 50Mhz when they were cutting edge. I went through pretty much every variant of MS-DOS, Windows 2.1, 3.1, 95, 98, 2000 and XP.

I had come to expect that a computer required tweaking to work properly. I spent hours tweaking. Probably months of my life, all told. Tweak tweak tweak.

When I moved to Japan, I was faced with a new problem: OS language. To have windows in English, I would have had to pay a premium for the Pro edition - and even then, most of my drivers would be in Japanese. I toyed with the idea of importing a laptop from abroad.

Someone pointed out that Mac OSX could be easily switched to the language of your choice, and that all driver files, etc. would mirror that change. Sounded a good deal, so I bought one.

I do not tweak. I am tweakless. I am free.

It works.

By that, I mean that when I hit the "On" button in the morning, it turns on. By "On" I mean all drivers installed, ready to go. No hard drive whizzing away, no waiting for drivers to load, it`s just on. The difference between Sleep and Start up is a couple of seconds. I`ve never timed it, but it`s about the time it takes to have a sip of coffee and light a cigarette.

Compare to my routine before: Hit "On", and then go make the coffee.

It works, in the same way my toaster works. My toaster does not stop halfway through making toast, turn blue and tell me to re-insert the bread, and neither does my mac.

I love it.

You will love it too. You just don`t understand yet. Your eyes have not been opened. Join us. Embrace the Mac. Love the Mac.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I'll never own another Windows system

this is exactly what I'm talking about,

Ahh yes, but I never mentioned that I'd never have another linux system ever again

A custom built Ubuntu box is very appealing. The Mac was the first computer I ever used and owned, so I've just stuck with it even though I've tried the rest.

I agree that some Mac users are really smell-their-own-fart type people. I certainly didn't buy into the iPhone hype, heck, I don't even own an iPod (but I'm very tempted by the iPod touch
).

But it's the same mentality with any other demographic that use an 'exclusive' brand that makes them think they're above everyone else.

I guess you could say I'm a 'conservative' Mac user

[edit on 21-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
You just don`t understand yet. Your eyes have not been opened. Join us. Embrace the Mac. Love the Mac.

seeing how ive been using macs longer than windows pcs, i guess I don't understand. But it's not Mac I don't understand, but the people that jump in head first

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have been using macs since 1994.
The only computer i have owned were macs.

None-the-less, I have worked on the PC as well.
(Since 1994/95) Basically I have typically had both PC and Mac in the work place.

I was a producer & director for media as well as a former art director. (Im now independent doing my own bit.) I have always preferred the Mac experience.

Only recently, the past year or two have I seriously considered getting a PC.
I have to say most of it was from years of a friend/co-worker telling me about why the PC was so cool, etc. and pointing out the high lights.

But after extensive time on my mother-in-laws PC running Vista, I have pretty much came to the conclusion Im sticking with mac.

Now, this is not due to it being better, etc. Its down to preference.
Yes, the mac is cult like...yes it does seem like a bunch of geeks in black turtle necks (I wore them constantly before Steve was known for this trend by the way), but it seems that it all really boils down to user experience.

*** Some just prefer the mac, and some the PC. I was shocked that my younger sister (by about 14 years) who claimed to be an artist said that the Mac was too hard and preferred the PC.
What? I mean here she has both mac and PC because of my dad. He only bought it because I encouraged him to years back. But he has always had trouble with it. The fact is he uses the PC all the time. So I guess it is just what she got used to.

Now I personally find it hard to believe that someone who started on a PC wouldnt find the mac more favorable. But I have to just accept the fact that we are uniquely different and that using a PC doesnt necessarily make one less artistic, nor the mac someone more artistic.

I do like certain features on the Pc that are very easy to get used to that the mac doesnt do. Like hit the delete key and a file deltes. On a mac its drag and drop to trash...to long, why do I have the darn delete key for if I cant delete for Petes sake!

The fact of the matter is there really needs to be a 3rd party (and I dont mean linux) that can challenge the apple & microsoft hardware and software line up.

When I get the resources, you can watch out for the dAlen computer line creative software line.

- Getting tired of the likes of Adobe making 100 apps that should be integrated into one program. Thermo, Flash, etc. All to make a buck off of each.

And silly activation schemes that only bother those buying the software. (sorry, those who want to pirate will always be here to do so. they only aggravate people like me who do not make a dime off of 'pirated' software.

So, yes it is the cult of the mac, but I have broken out, I like the mac just because for me it is the simplest (but with quarks) system available. (again, i.m.o.) I have no qualms in switching if something better comes. - like the dAlen!

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 22-1-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am really intrigued by the way that people seem to think that owning a Mac makes you somehow more artistic. What is that about?

I bought my first Mac in the year 2000 having owned many computers (Atari 8-bit, Amiga, etc.) which includes several Windows/Linux PCs. For my own personal use I will always buy a Mac as long as I like their products.

Now, I am an Engineer, as in a professional Engineer, I am far from artistic (I have to use Windows all day for Pro/E BTW.) I am not artistic, and haven't become so through owning a Mac. The reason that I buy Macs is because I was put off with Windows 95/98 and all the conflicts / crashes.

My works XP machine is stable, but I just can't bring myself to buy a PC for home use.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join