It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for cold found? Czech Researchers claim seawater spray cures kids colds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Cure for cold found? Czech Researchers claim seawater spray cures kids colds

www.reuters.com

CHICAGO (Reuters) - For parents worried about how to treat children's colds now that some medicines have been called into question, the answer may be a dose of salt water.

A nasal spray made from Atlantic Ocean seawater eased wintertime cold symptoms faster and slowed cough and cold symptoms from returning among children ages 6 to 10, researchers in Europe reported on Monday.

It may be that the salt water has a simple mechanical effect of clearing mucus, or it could be that trace elements in the water play some more significant role, though the exact reason why such a solution works is not known, said Dr. Ivo Slapak and colleagues at the Teaching Hospital of Brno in the Czech Republic.

The study, published in the January issue of the Archives of Otolaryngology, was paid for by Goemar Laboratoires La Madeleine, Saint-Malo, France, which makes Physiomer, the seawater nasal spray used in the investigation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hmmm, seems pretty simple to me. Suprised they are the first to do a major study on this. Will be interesting to see if it catches on widespread.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

OK, this is kind of funny, and I think I might be in a unique position to debunk, at least anecdotally

I happen to have a Merck product from the Czech Republic which is a nasal spray made out of sea water. I also have had a cold for a while now, and I can tell you that while salt water (or sea water) seems to help, which is why I bought it, I don't think it's a cure. This one continues to hang on

Just to prove this coincidence, here's a picture of the product:
Sterimar Seawater Nasal Spray

edit: OK, I posted too hastily. I guess I don't qualify as a kid any longer, but I'm still skeptical. I did have a Dr, a few years back who said that one of the best things you can do for a cold is to wash out your nose with warm, sterile salt water. I think it just helps your body do the rest.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by lifestudent]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I truly feel once we find the cure for cancer it will be something natural that we normally tend to discard, like orange peel or the pit or a peach.

I'm not surprised by this story.

new topics

top topics

join