It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Markets Plunge - DJIA Futures Down Nearly 500 Points

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Citibank has already started weird tactics as far is this goes. There are threads on here explaining...stuff like limited withdrawls and what not.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I hate to burst a bubble here but
watching the markets isn't gonna
stop the US markets from catching
up on the recession. Since world banking
is so integrated between countries
if the US is in a recession, it will be
felt world wide.

The sad news is, the market watchers
are the last to know. It's the average man on
the street who knows before anybody else.
The markets are just playing catch-up.
The recession has been due for a year.
Cept this time, Bush can't hide it anymore.

LOL ... kinda like
Bill could only hide Monica for a short time
at least til the DNA was retrieved.

Well Bush's DNA is just starting to be uncovered
as we speak.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonSays

Yup there is no more hiding it. I know Bush was hoping this would happen till he was gone kinda like how Clinton lucked out but it did. He tried to hide it but it became to obvious.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I thought you all might appreciate this song lyrics from Bedouin Soundclash's money worries:

anywhere you go, it's the same cry
money worries
DON'T have a comfortable place of rest
or a nice car to drive
anything you need these days
money is the only answer
everyone would like to LIVE happy
eating and wearing the best in life
but to really do so, my friends
money's the only answer

Wouldn't it be so much better without money? I'm ready for the crash. I hope you are.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Yeah..
and we'll all be living in slums again.

LOL, I already live in a slum in a 5 room shack.
My next option is a tent with the toilet paper holder
attached to the tree. So it won't be nothing new for
me.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

...Wouldn't it be so much better without money? I'm ready for the crash. I hope you are.

Maybe, but before a cashless society would come things like major inflation. To get a taste of what that would be like, check out Zimbabwe. Inflation was running at over 40,000% last week, according to a piece on the BBC news. To put that in perspective, a meal at one of the resturants there, cost them $14,000,000 Zimbabwian dollars!!!

So, be careful what you wish for

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I tried convincing my father to invest in gold but he doesn't seem to be too worried.

He's in the consulting business and has many clients in large investment banking firms.

He also has a lot of liability in the stock market if you know what I mean.

People are losing big, and I mean BIG. This is one of the worst recessions in recent history.

Are there any companies who are actually benefitting from this crash?

That's the conspiracy I would be looking into: Anyone doing very well out of this aside from those who cut out before the stocks dropped.

It would be interesting to see any large put options a few days ago before everything started to fall.

Anyone have figures from say two days ago?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Day 2 of world sell of begins:

HONG KONG'S HANG SENG OPENS DOWN 5.4% AT 22,542.80

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Don,t worry people already the sell out of the US markets has been bailed out by the new owners of the fninacial markets.

Bear Stern, Merril lynch, Citigroup, Morgan stanley, will now belong to Dhabai, Sadi Arabia, Singapor, Korea and China, Welcome to the new world of investments.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Wouldn't it be so much better without money? I'm ready for the crash. I hope you are.

bring it on dude, it might make things a lil more even
for the lil guy .... LOL

I can just see the guy's Porsche down the road gettin
repossessed. LOL

Like he needs a friggin Porsche along side his Lexus, Mercedes, Hummer
and Bentley.

Now he can add "Crash of Y2K8" to his resume.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Don,t worry people already the sell out of the US markets has been bailed out by the new owners of the fninacial markets.

Bear Stern, Merril lynck, Citigroup, Morgan stanley, will now belong to Dhabai, Sadi Arabia, Singapor, Korea and China, Welcome to the new world of investments.

very good assessment Marge .... a star for you
and we already owe over 9 Trillion in debt
due to budget deficit. Oh I forgot we can print
it whenever Bush wants to.

If I was an investor, the US stock portfolio would look
too risky for my taste. It won't be long before King
Abdullah comes over here and says he owns everything
and declares himself ruler and has the money contracts
(IOU's) to back it up.

LOL, I think he'd make a better dick-tator than Bush .....

[edit on 21-1-2008 by SimonSays]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Check the futures for tomorrow's new york open:

INDEX VALUE CHANGE OPEN HIGH LOW TIME
DJIA INDEX 11,590.00 -516.00 12,130.00 12,140.00 11,569.00 21:03
S&P 500 1,262.40 -62.90 1,327.50 1,331.60 1,256.00 21:03
NASDAQ 100 1,770.50 -79.00 1,850.75 1,857.75 1,755.25 20:59

Asia still has to close out the day and Europe has another morning of trading prior to the openning bell. If you have to get out now, I don't envy anyone trying to sell tomorrow when there's no one to buy...

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonSays

Oh, we will still have the same poppet's prop by interest money to rule the nation under the two American democratic parties we even be able to keep the constitutional rights to vote. . .

But the money flow for the new and improve lobbyist in Washington that will come from this nations will then dictate American polices and who American patriots will be fighting the wars for.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I am not an investment expert in any light but would like to offer some advice. Am a CPA but have zero professional training with investments, but have read a lot of books, newspapers and have traded for about 10 years. If you want to be in the market, and that includes 401ks and IRAs as well, buy and hold is for suckers. Succesful traders protect their capital by taking small losses and letting the winners run.

The markets go up and go down and we have know for several months that there was a potential for a recession. And during recessions stocks go down. Quite simple. So how does one "time" the markets. No one ever perfectly times the markets so it is not a matter of selling at the top or buying at the bottom. It is a matter of understanding when the market can go down and protecting your money. And vice versa when the market is trading up and finding winning stocks or investments.

If you are in the markets, again even if simply mutual funds in a 401k or IRA please find a market timing system that warns you when to get out of the market. You can find numerous services including Investors Business Daily, Vectorvest, and others. You can even go to the library and read the Investors Business Daily for free. Their market timing system advised folks to sell their stocks and go into cash several weeks ago and it is right on the front page. Same for Vectorvest and a few others. If you listened to their advice then you kept much of your profits from 2007.

What to do now? Please go to cash and a little gold. The market is going to get wiped tommorow, then it will rally a little bit when the fed cuts rates, but it will continue its slide into a true bear market. Bear markets are at least a 20% drop from the top and we are probably going to hit that number or higher. Remember the bull is over five years old and long in the tooth. All in my humble opinion.

So what about my portfolio? 75% cash, 5% gold (GLD the gold ETF), and 20% in short ETFs. I would not recommend the short ETFs now unless you can read the charts and stay on top of your trades.

Best of luck to all.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is an excellent buying opportunity that only comes once every 15 years or so as we cycle through mild recessions (the smaller ones come about every 5-8 years or so). Going long on gold and oil will result in quite a bit of money to be made as the sheeple tomorrow react to the mass media mouth foaming over financial gloom.

The only people who should be concerned are those that have a short time horizon on the market - if your retiring in less than 5 years, I'd get out. For everyone else with a long term time horizon - watch as the fools try to time the market tomorrow. They always fail, every time. But it doesn't stop them from trying
The sheeple always sell low (now) and buy high (in a year or two).

[edit on 21-1-2008 by LightinDarkness]

link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

There were three corrections during 2007. A corrections is about a 10% drop from a market peak. A recession is not a stock market concept but an economic issue when an economy has negative GDP for two quarters. A bear market is about a 10% drop from highs.

link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

There were three corrections during 2007. A corrections is about a 10% drop from a market peak. A recession is not a stock market concept but an economic issue when an economy has negative GDP for two quarters. A bear market is about a 20% drop from highs.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But the money flow for the new and improve lobbyist in Washington that will come from this nations will then dictate American polices and who American patriots will be fighting the wars for.

does that mean that Osama Bin Laden will now be our friend ???
If we're pawned by his native land. Does that mean our troops
come home from Afghanistan and Iraq?? Or does that mean
that their orders will now be centered based on who is an enemy
of Saudi Arabia.

OR will US Troops just be Middle East Mercenaries ???

Or even worse will that mean that we will be enemies of Israel ???

[edit on 21-1-2008 by SimonSays]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post but in my second post I correctly stated that a bear is 20% drop. And I do think that this will be one of the best buying opportunities since 2003. But please wait until the market is back in a positive trend by reading those market timing systems.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

My friend this more than just littler joe investor making a buck.

This is about the sovereignity of our nation falling in the hands of foreign interest that then will influence politics, policies and also how our nation will get into wars and for who they will be fighting.

This more than you can never, ever imagine at all. . .

[edit on 21-1-2008 by marg6043]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join