It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A call for regulatory boards on all religious activity and church governance. .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The anti Christian thing has been done to death, let's pick on Scientology

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Guys like you make it difficult for guys like me.

You should love humans more and hate religion less. Yes, it has *got* to go in the large conglomerate of power it is today, but you gotta ween the masses off of their opiates, lest they go into withdrawl and bite your head off. You've seen meth addicts without their stuff haven't you?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Oh, and just so you look less like a leftest, hateful, idiot, make sure you check your facts.

Hey there Tonto...cool your jets some. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume your more of a righty type of person, and with what you wrote above there and the tone of your message in general, with all that you would like to say about Christianity included, am I to conclude your loving and intelligent? Ya-all don't always have to live up to the stereotype you know!

Is the love that the central figure of Christianity, or that of most religions available to all but leftists? I don't recall reading that, but perhaps Jesus did preach to his followers to call people who didn't agree with you awful names...perhaps that was in some of the scripture that got changed or lost, just like his long and drawn out sermons against the gays.

Jesus may very well have been a liberal, but go on throw some more stones...you know you want to!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
The anti Christian thing has been done to death, let's pick on Scientology

Come on folks, I expected some serious and intelligent based comments on ideas regarding how the wrongs of religion can be righted. This is not anti Christian, it is not Atheist, it is about what it is about, go back and read it again if you've spent this much time getting to here, you must be interested in the subject. Get past the reactionary thinking, and approach the topic, not as a religious hot head, but as a rational, and ethics minded adult. Attacking me, or trying to make me out to be this our that, isn't adding to the subject matter at all. To me it looks like a lot of overly defensive religious conservatives feel threatened and so feel compelled to attack and smear me in some way...this isn't about me, this is about the issue of religion and society. I think it needs to be regulated and I've stated both why and how. I would prefer rather than attacking me and calling me names, or saying I"m going to hell, or am a bigot or this and that, that instead you describe why with logic and reason why you disagree with me, and why you feel big religion should continue to go unregulated and do whatever it pleases...with all the abuse of their power and all. If you agree and have a better idea, then talk about that. Talk about why you see why some might think it is needed, but why you feel it should or shouldn't happen here....anything but act like your in Jr. High with the childish remarks and postings.

Thank you in advance because a lot of us want to learn and exchange good quality information and we don't want to waste one another's time...some of you others on the other hand...? And thank you to those of you who care about these things and the betterment of humanity, and in peaceful ways to make our world a better place for all...thank you for those of you who posted something intelligent and tried to add to the debate in an adult manner. I know relgion, philosophy and societal issues are difficult for some of you, so if you feel you can't contribute at an informed, educated adult level (say something above the 11th grade, than for god's sake post in another religious forum, I"m tired of reading childish and stereotypical rants. You know who you are, so get up and go stand in the corner till I say you can come back out. My Gey-yaud!!!! Grow up people.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Skyshow, the problem is, it's a very bad idea. It's like expecting bar patrons to be okay with a council who sits around deciding if they are behaving properly. Or if the bartender has poured exactly the right amount of booze. Or if the patron that just left is fit to drive. Or if the old lady in the corner, who just tipped the waitress 100 bucks, is paying her taxes. And so on. It's just not going to work.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Further examples, if the band singing on stage hasn't said anything offensive.
Afterall, there might be people in there that don't like one of the words in the song or feel it's racist or sexist or something, so the bar should be closed and the band ejected.

Its just oppressive, worthy of the Holy Roman Empire, perhaps but this is the 21st century.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
you may be right, or maybe not, I'm not sure...one thing I was thinking was that we can't all be Ron Paul supporters here on ATS! Where is the other side on this issue. We as a people all over the world regulate various activities and enterprises for various reasons, what makes runaway religion any different? We can agree there is some sort of a philosophy that exists here somewhere else human kind would have never developed "regulation" in the first place.

We regulate intersections with traffic signals and enforce it with patrols...should we deregulate intersections and just let drivers everywhere do as they please? That's an extreme example, I admit, but my point is there is legitimate reasons why "regulation" exists. It almost sounds like this "bad idea" is bad simply because it's not "libertarian". I don't find that a valid argument obviously.

I feel like my attempts in getting this thread started is like being out in a January snow storm at a Deluth dairy pasture trying to start a 78 chevy with a ten year old battery and bad sparks...."Come on start you $*%( of a *&$(!!!!" Guess this is where faith comes in.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Okay, this is an example of trying to protect the hens from the foxes, as you put it, albeit an extreme example, it was a total failure
www.serendipity.li...

And that kind of thinking will ALWAYS be a total failure.

Here's another example:
www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...

There are many more. Learn from the mistakes of the past by not repeating them.

If you think "oh well fewer religious nuts to worry about..", you haven't done your homework. Those examples became multiple martyrs (however many people were present), which only furthers the cause of the victims, creating many more just like them. You want to encourage the spread of religion, try outlawing or regulating it.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by undo]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

ou want to encourage the spread of religion, try outlawing or regulating it.

I must admit, you do have a point with this. Hmmm. Now I feel like my balloon has too much lead hanging from it and it's not gaining altitude. LOL I'll read those links later tomorrow, I need to get to bed. Thanks for your post and clarification. I feel like I am understanding what you mean now. (it's one of the unfortunate things about blogs...I think without the face to face conversations you might have at say a coffee shop for instance, one fails to see all the unconscious behavior and facial expressions that add to the conversation meaning...sometimes with blog it takes a lot of tug of war to finally grasp some meaning...)

so more on the topic later perhaps...plus tomorrow when I pull the pole out of the water who knows what creatures from the sea it will have on it's hooks...I hope this thread does a little more however, but it may just die out, and I might just have to accept that.
but good point. regulation, even of this stakeholder model design may actually encourage even more crooked behavior, as it were. Similar to the drug trafficking thing? I had a bit more hope for humanity, but perhaps this is right, and like IQ, we have a wide distribution, and sometimes there is really very little that ultimately can be done about it, other than be compassionate, and help those who otherwise have a lot of difficulty helping themselves....still, you know, in the helping professions there is regulation, and it doesn't seem to have lead to a mass rush on new helpers wanting to get out there in the trenches and do the work helping out the homeless, the traumatized, the downtrodden, culturally oppressed, mentally and physically handicapped, and in general marginalized segments of society etc...I realize I'm rambling, but there is some meaning here, if you look closely.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by skyshow]

[edit on 22-1-2008 by skyshow]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join