It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic volcanoes identified as a possible culprit in glacier melting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Antarctic volcanoes identified as a possible culprit in glacier melting

www.iht.com

Another factor might be contributing to the thinning of some of the Antarctica's glaciers: volcanoes.
In an article published Sunday on the Web site of the journal Nature Geoscience, Hugh Corr and David Vaughan of the British Antarctic Survey report the identification of a layer of volcanic ash and glass shards frozen within an ice sheet in western Antarctica.
"This is the first time we have seen a volcano beneath the ice sheet punch a hole through the ice sheet" in Antarctica, Vaughan said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
While I do not believe in 'global warming' as many have defined it, I do believe in climate change.

Humans have wreaked havoc on the environment, but I also believe in climactic cycles.

This is another reason why I believe 'global warming' is not all that its made out to be, among other reasons.

Volcanic heat could still be melting ice to water and contributing to thinning and speeding up of the Pine Island glacier, which passes nearby, but Vaughan said he doubted that it could be affecting other glaciers in western Antarctica, which have also thinned in recent years. Most glaciologists, including Vaughan, say that warmer ocean water is the primary cause of thinning.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I am in the same boat as you as far as my feelings on global warming. Interesting find Ill be curious how the Global Warming end of world people take this one and spin it.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Humans are definitely doing a great deal of damage to our planet. However, I do not think we are 100% responsible for the warming of the planet. Yes are are burning tons of fossil fuels and adding co2 to the atmosphere, but that's not even the only 'greenhouse gas.'

Methane is being released as the Earth heats up, causing more and more to be released in the process.

This is a highly complex process in which we cannot begin to understand. To think we are responsible for all the environmental disasters is preposterous.

I would agree we are responsible for some natural disasters like land slides as we cut down trees and build roads where they shouldn't be. The soil begins to degrade and runoff, causing massive damage.

We build cities in places where they shouldn't be such as close to the ocean and in volcano and earthquake prone areas. We also seem to have a habit of building right in the fire sector.

Careful planning of cities prior to their construction would have prevented much disasters on the human population.

We are dealing with complex systems that we are only beginning to understand, and to say we are the main cause of climate change is pretty far-fetched.

top topics

join