It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Comet: After The Impact.... Tonight on Discovery Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've seen a few of these Discovery Channel movies and always thought they were pretty good. The one starting right now is a what if of a comet hitting modern day earth and what would happen.

Will We Survive? An Asteroid on a Collision Course with Earth Heralds a New Age When Super Comet Premieres Jan. 20 on Discovery Channel and Discovery HD

A gigantic asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago - and we could soon be next. Experts can't pinpoint when it will happen or where the asteroid will strike - only that it will happen. When the next catastrophic asteroid collides with Earth - perhaps in 1,000 years' time or perhaps tomorrow - will humanity suffer the same fate as the dinosaurs? Premiering Sun., Jan. 20 at 8 p.m. ET/9 p.m. PT on Discovery HD - Super Comet envisions that future.

In the aftermath of a devastating impact, the planet revolts with earthquakes, tsunamis and infernos. The few animals and people still alive struggle to survive under adverse conditions. In a catastrophe of epic proportions, the Earth is plunged into a global winter and suffers mass extinction. In the history of the planet, devastation of this magnitude has changed the course of evolution, and with destruction comes the environment for change - and even progress. If the dinosaurs hadn't become extinct, humans might never have had the chance to evolve. This two-hour special forecasts the dawn of a new age - the era of the conquerors - in which the human race, too, must carve out a new place.

www.discoverychannel.ca...

It's just starting, let me know if you see it.
I'll post a review in about 2 hours when it ends.

Edit: sp :bnghd:

[edit on 20/1/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have watched the first half of it so far, and have the second have recorded on my DVR.

I like what I've seen so far.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Darn, I forgot all about this. Oh well, knowing Discovery channel, they'll play it 30 more times, so I'll be able to catch it.

Looking forward to everybody's thoughts

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm sure Discovery Channel will run this over and over like they did with the Yellowstone one.

I thought it was pretty good, though it would have been nice to follow the story more without the constant narrative. Though the narration was informative and expedited the overall theme as they switch from story line to interviews.

They set the scene over the first 20 minutes and model it after the comet that hit Earth 65,000,000 years ago like it's hitting us now. Most of the show follows what happens after the impact (24 minutes in), and it really does a good job of showing what the planet will go through after a major hit.

I did notice a lot of stock footage, and tell me if I'm wrong, some of the New York tsunami footage looked just like the CG they used on The Day After Tomorrow.

I enjoyed it, if you get the chance, give it a watch and post a review.

new topics

top topics

join